zippers staples pins???????????

Penny is right! If you have to take a quilt off (I usually SID the border so it is stabilized) , you can and load another one. If yu have a second set of zippers. I think there is a set for machine and a set called quilt. The machine zippers are both sides, i.e. one sewn to the leaders and zipped on, and another set (quilt set) just has the bottom part of the zipper. Clear as mud?? :o:o I know you can find the info on the web. Sue Schmieden sells the zippers here:http://www.longarmconnection.com/Our_Products.html

Here is Darlene's website:http://www.trilliumhousedesigns.com/tips/

Very clear directions.

Once you get your zippers sewn to your leaders...whichever method of attaching your quilt...pins or staples just go for it.

I use pins right now...more because its the method of the month. Staples are great and WAY easier to apply than pins, but right now I'm in a pinning mood. With Staples there are time I just grab the edge of the quilt waste and just upzip the staples...some fly around, but that's what vaccums and brooms are for.:P:P

Pinner, definitely a pinner! my tops and backings are always on perfectly straight, and I'm pretty quick at putting them on...

I wouldn't want to take the time to have to sew or baste the quilt to the zippers... and I can take one off and put another on as accurately as the best of ya!!! LOL Just my POV!

Originally posted by Bobbi47

I wouldn't want to take the time to have to sew or baste the quilt to the zippers... and I can take one off and put another on as accurately as the best of ya!!! LOL Just my POV!

No Bobbie the zippers are already sewn to your leaders...and the two zipper parts are together when I pin/staple my quilt on....and IF and I mean only IF I need to I can take a quilt off and pin another one on do my zippers ever come apart. I use the zippers as must of a straight edge as I do/did the leaders. I find the zippers have no give and don't get wonky with use... The being able to take something off is just a bonus, not something I do on a regular bases...

I don't have the zippers cause I don't understand how to use them or how they work. From what you're saying, the zips get sewn to the leaders then the quilt top still gets pinned to the zippers...is this correct? If so, why use the zippers? It seems like double work loading to me. And how does the top & batting get centered...are the zippers marked with 1/4 inch increments or just the center mark or not at all?

Like I said, I've never seen them and don't understand how they work. Maybe there's a U-Tube video on them..or does someone have a video on their website...does anyone know?

Thx

Rita

The advantage to zippers is when you want to swap out back and forth between quilts quickly. For example, if you are working on a project that takes a lot of time (custom) you can put that project on the zippers. You can zip it off and hang on a wall if you need to look at it as a whole and zip back on. Also, when you have a quick quilt to do, you can zip off the custom quilt and put the quick quilt on, finish it, and zip your custom quilt back on. Another thing you can use your zippers for is to have a practice sandwich with zippers (muslin and batting) and you can zip the practice piece on or off quickly if you want to PPP or warm up before you hit the real quilt. :)

I pin.

I don't quilt as a business. I can see the advantage to having sets of zippers if you are in business, or if you get tired of working on one quilt, and want to work on another, or if you have a lot of ripping out to do you can unzip the quilt and sit and rip out threads-----

Those are some of the advantages I can think of to use zippers. I've been pinning for years and not had a problem with it.

I feel it is such an individual thing. I used to stress out about it. Thinking that I should have zippers. No---I shouldn't. Yes, I should---

I'm still pinning, and it works for me---so, that's my story----

I put my backs on my zippers with my Bernina and Superior Thread Vanish on top, regular, and just use up a left over bobbin. I could spritz it out, but wet your thumb in your mouth and dab to one end and it just pulls off soooooo easy!! Now the quilt top, I pin that on. Just bring it in the house with the zipper and do it while I watch TV.

I sew my zippers to my leaders, but then I staple the backing to the other half of the zipper for zipping on . It's super fast. I take a handheld stapler A good metal one is best. Then turn the bottom plate around so that it shoots the staples like a straight pin - ends pointing out.

Put the non-tooth edge of the zipper against the edge of the fabric & staple about an inch or so apart, about the same as you would if pinning. This makes it so that the staples lay nicely and are secure vs. trying to staple over the tooth edge, which is awkward.

Now when you zip on it will flip over the edge of the backing fabric on one of the zippers because you've put the non-tooth edge lined up with the edge of backing, but it's only about 1/4", so no worries.

I do a double staple at each end to make it extra secure for loading/unloading. when done with the quilt I just pull the zipper off. If you lay the quilt down & pull the zipper from the tab end then all the staples will stay in the zipper & not fly around or stay in the quilt fabric. I have about a dozen zipper sets & I just throw the used ones in a tote until I have a few to take staples out of & then when I'm on the phone or doing other things like that I grab the zippers & take out staples while talking. I use to hire my kids to take out staples for $1 a set, but now that they are grown & have other jobs, they are less willing to sit & take out staples unless they need extra cash. Then they'll only do it if I have enough for their $5 minimum.....rascals....true effects of an organized labor party in my studio. One gets an idea & then the talk the others into going along to bargain for higher pay. ---they started that when they were about 10yrs old---gotta respect the initiative:) even if when I didn't agree that the task was worth the extra money they left me with no choice other than to find someone else, or do collective bargaining with them.

Originally posted by Jess

.......One gets an idea & then the talk the others into going along to bargain for higher pay. ---they started that when they were about 10yrs old---gotta respect the initiative:) even if when I didn't agree that the task was worth the extra money they left me with no choice other than to find someone else, or do collective bargaining with them.

Jessica, I am ROFLOL! :P

Is there a video of someone stapling on their quilts to leaders? I've never heard of this in our area, but am interested in seeing how it's done. I would think removing the staples would be more time consuming than removing pins. Just curious. Dar

I did know that they stay on the leaders, but don't you have to attach the backer to the zipper in some form - IE: staples or basting, etc... I didn't express that correctly, and so I guess that 's why I pin...

I have a friend who zips and is always sitting at her DSM sewing backs to the zippers... am I wrong? It's just MHO that it takes longer...

I guess we all have our pet ways of doing things and sometimes resist something easier/better (?) because it's not well understood?

Originally posted by Bobbi47

I did know that they stay on the leaders, but don't you have to attach the backer to the zipper in some form - IE: staples or basting, etc... I didn't express that correctly, and so I guess that 's why I pin...

Bobbi baby, your thinking is correct so don't question your blondeness cuz U R smart. :)

I have zippers, too, but I don't normally sew my backers on to the zippers unless I plan on keeping the quiilt on the zippers for a long time. Most of the time I don't even use my zippers because it's a quick quilt, and I can pin on the back just as fast as sewing the back on to the zipper (and I think pinning might be faster). So... the only time I use my zippers is for a quilt I plan to work on for a long time (usually it's my own project) and I might need to zip on/off several times over span of months? I also have a practice muslin on zippers. I just baste the sandwich together and fold it up out of the way and zip on when needed.

I really enjoy my blood to stay in my body so therefore pinning is totally out of the question. I have zippers and I use to big zig-zag them on then I bought a Singer touch-n-sew that would do a chain stitch, till it died last year and now I staple. I can staple to the zippers and load so fast. I have the metal stapler and I wear a glove that has grippers so the stapler doesn't slip. My DH says I'm a Michael Jackson quilter.. :) When I remove the staples I use a puller that looks like a bent letter opener.

I have the machine end of the zippers stitched on by the machine & channel lock for a straight line. Then I stand at my cutting table & pin the quilt & backing side of the zippers on. This saves my back - leaning over the machine to pin OR staple(which I haven't tried) was agony. I use closed pins because I have twice managed to rip a quilt back with a straight pin - fortunately outside the quilted area but too scary!

Some days when I haven't enough time to get on with a quilt or am still trying to work out what to do on the quilt on the machine, I can prep the next quilt on to zips instead then at least I haven't wasted my time!

I Love my zippers!

I used the staples to originally hook them to the leaders and then sewed them down. I still prefer pinning my quilts to the zippers, but found stapling to the leaders gave me a few extra hands when putting them on.

I had my zippers for 2 years and just recently put them on. Now I wonder "Why did it take me so long?"

Shirley

I resisted zippers for years but they became a necessity when I began my rental business. The biggest advantage of zippers to me personally is as Bonnie said:"it keeps your leaders from getting wonky" I never remove a quilt to work on another, just my preference. If I take it off it may never go back on!

Archived