Monofilament - Invisible Thread

I spent the day yesterday stitching around applique and doing some background filler using the monofilament thread from Aurifil. I have both the clear and charcoal/smoky color Invisible thread on HUGE cones(a lifetime supply I'm sure) 250 gr - 30,000 yrds per cone I think :)

My machine really likes it and tension is working itself out nicely.

The thread looks invisible when used to stitch in the ditch. As a background filler it takes on the color of the fabric. For multi-colored fabrics, the thread actually looks perfectly variegated to match the color of the fabric. This surprised me a little.

The dark monofilament looks really cool on dark fabric. It almost looks metallic because of it's shine yet is so much stronger and easier to quilt with.

Originally posted by ManQuilter

I spent the day yesterday stitching around applique and doing some background filler using the monofilament thread from Aurifil. I have both the clear and charcoal/smoky color Invisible thread on HUGE cones(a lifetime supply I'm sure) 250 gr - 30,000 yrds per cone I think :)

My machine really likes it and tension is working itself out nicely.

The thread looks invisible when used to stitch in the ditch. As a background filler it takes on the color of the fabric. For multi-colored fabrics, the thread actually looks perfectly variegated to match the color of the fabric. This surprised me a little.

Do you have a wholesale supplier for the Aurifil threads? I love the richness of their colors and would love to try them. The larger spool of Invisible thread sound like what I'm looking for. Thanks!

The dark monofilament looks really cool on dark fabric. It almost looks metallic because of it's shine yet is so much stronger and easier to quilt with.

Originally posted by CrazyAboutQuilting

Heidi,

what is different about the Maderia thread? I used the Superior Mono-poly and it worked ok but it was so hard to see, especially for threading the needle, etc because it is such a fine thread.

Marilyn,

The maderia is finer and more of a matte finish as compared to the monopoly. I ordered a large cone from Kingsmen and I think it is for sure a lifetime supply!

I love Aurifil thread and have used it for years for piecing and machine applique. Recently Aurifil seem to have begun advertising in quilting magazines but at the same time they are advertising it is becoming more difficult, if not impossible to obtain their thread. I do not have access to wholesalers which is mainly what they list on their website and the retail outlets seem to sell mainly the mini spools. The two online sources that I have used are clearing out their stock of Aurifil and are now stocking another Italian thread which I don't like as much. I have never seen the invisible thread that Matt mentions. Excuse my rant I am just not happy such wonderful thread is becoming so difficult to find!

Sue

www.columbiariverquilting.com

Under Madeira thread/monofil

The 10,000 yd. cone is under $30. I don't know of a wholesale source. Search for Madeira thread distributors, I guess.

I can't say enough about how much I like this thread. No pokies, literally hair-thin, and I did a melt test with a hot iron. Monopoly (also a very good product, but thicker) did not melt, but did curl a bit and the texture changed--it got a bit brittle. Same test on Monolon--no noticeable change in the thread. This was bare thread, not stitched onto fabric.

I think the fiber is different between Superior and Monolon. Superior is polyester (which will surely survive a nuclear blast) and Monolon is nylon, which is what the older monofilament threads were. Nylon used to get brittle with age, and stitches would pop. I don't know if that problem has been resolved or not, but I would imagine it has improved over the past 30 years! Either one will probably outlast us all, so I would guess it is a matter of personal preference. Superior isn't supposed to shine. There is another one, made by Sew Art International, that comes on small cones. I used it when quilting on my DSM and like it a lot. It is regularly on ebay for a reasonable price. I tried it on my Millie, and it worked fine with Bottom Line in the bobbin and a bit of tension tweaking on the top. If you are looking for a small cone, larger than a spool but not a huge amount of thread, consider it. It comes in both clear and smoke.

I use BL in the bobbin. Using Monolon on both sides will work, but it will stretch so the tension will need to be fine-tuned.

My tension chart for the Monolon/BL combo says--Monolon very loose, bobbin set at 15 on the Towa gauge, top loose on the rollers, and the three-hole down the first and up the third threading of the three-hole guide above the tensioner. To figure the top tension, thread the needle and pull it towards the back. Let go and see if the thread kinks or curls after it is pulled through the needle. This shows that the thread is stretching. Back off the tension until there is very little curling. The disks will only whisper against the thread.

The only problem I have with Monolon is sometime you may need to set fewer stitches-per-inch. At 11 spi it seems to work well and it really likes 9 spi--but I don't!!

Have fun and let us know how you like it.

CJ I don't use it much. I use it if the colors of the quilt change a lot and it is easier than having to change threads all the time. Most of the applique quilts I quilt are heirlooms and I just haven't gotten to where I'd use mono on them. I know I'm hearing you all but I'm just not completely there. Normally I'll use thread that matches the background.

Archived