just tried my Metro thread

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a bad experience with tension the first time I used this thread, but I am not 100% convinced it was the threads fault - although am not sure what it was !!! although at the time I said I would never use it again. But I have just finished another quilt with these threads and it was better tension this time and looks great. (although I still prefer Glide !!)

:)

Linda Rech, I love that picture!

I want to see what this thread looks like quilted. I know someone posted a picture, but are there any more out there. I still haven't used Rainbows because of the shine....this stuff really shines :) Not sure I'm ready for this one yet.

This a photo of a practice cloth with the metro flourescent yellow (I thought I would use the colour I liked the least however I really like it stitched out)

This is what changed my mind about this thread.

I dont think you can see this very well on this size photo actually, but it stitched out perfectly.

post--13461903724926_thumb.jpg

I've been using So Fine and love it. But I also would like to try some thread with a shine. I checked the website and saw that this is 40 weight. Did you have to loosen your top tension very much with this thread? Just curious.

I tried Rainbow and had an awful time with that, don't want to go there again !

As always, you guys are a wealth of knowledge, thanks for sharing !

Rainbows is made of Rayon, Metro thread is Polyester, much stronger, hence it will not break as easy or fray. As far as tension is concerned, it's like any change in thread, the finer the tighter, the thicker the looser, but \\i find this thread to be like Lava, so I can have the top tension fairly thight.

Sorry to disagree Monika but Superior advertises that Rainbows is Trilobal polyester. Maybe you are thinking of a different thread. It was made to look like rayon so maybe it did a good job in the fakeout.

Lisa:)

Taken from the website:

40 wt. trilobal polyester

2,000 yard cones

Looks like Kristina is quicker on the reply than I am!!:D:D

I usually use SoFine and I didn't have to change the tension too much when I put the Metro cone on. I have used Rainbows in the past and Rainbows has to be loosened a lot more. This also is quite a bit more shiny than SoFine. I just went ahead and ordered all their neutral colors yesterday. Great way for someone to build their supply of colors without breaking the bank.

Oay - you all sold me - last night I ordered the box of 166 colors (small cones) and when I checked out I was pleasantly surprised with a 10% discount!!! Woo Hoo !!! To make it even easier I used my paypal account to check out and they email me today to say it was shipped. I can't wait to get it and try it on something!!!

Originally posted by newellyn

Magna bobbins from Filtec I have no tension or breakage problems at all.

Now as to these bobbins mentioned.... I am running low on my prewound Coat & clark, and the place I used to order from is out of business :( I will have to try these maybe....

Anyone else use these??

Archived