In need of encouragement

Hi all. I have been absent for a few months. Between the holidays and making trip to and from Pennsylvania to help my cousin care for my aunt, I haven't had time for sewing/quilting. Was just about to get back to it five weeks ago when I fell and shattered the head of my humerus (shoulder) and had to have surgery for a partial shoulder replacement. This involves a long recovery period with lots of physical therapy to regain proper use of my arm. I am registered for MQX but don't know now if I will be able to attend. I can't even drive yet, and certainly can't quilt. I am so bummed. I am signed up for some great classes. So I'm not really posting for a pity party though. What I am wondering is if anyone has had or knows someone who has had shoulder replacement surgery who was a quilter. I am so afraid I will not be able to use my machine after this. I am doing my exercises religiously, with the hope of getting good mobility back in that joint, but would sure like to hear of someone who had a similar injury and got back to quilting.

Thanks for listening.

Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you heal up soon. I don't know of anyone with that surgery, but look online, you might find a group and lots of information. Just familiar with Hip and Knee Replacements.

As for MQX if you can't take the classes or even go, let them know they might be able to sell them. Or post online.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Shirley

Claire,

I personally have not had a shoulder injury but as an OR nurse I have scrubbed in on many shoulder surgeries. From my training I have been educated in shoulder injuries and what I know is that initially shoulder surgery is extremely painful. Many patients require huge does of pain medication. That being said, as long as you faithfully follow your recovery plan (especially physiotherapy) there is no reason to believe that you will not have a great recovery. You might never have full range of motion (such as being able to lift your arm above your head) but that should not interfere with your ability to quilt on the longarm unless you are doing some strange style of quilting that I have never seen:D

Full recovery might take several months but often shoulder replacement patients do not have any pain once full recovery has been obtained. Remember some pain is necessary in physiotherapy but excruciating pain is not. The old addage of no pain no gain is only somewhat true. If you are experiencing excruciating pain you need to let both your doctor and your physiotherapist know.

I hope you are able to attend MQX, I would like to meet you. If you are not able to go you should see if you are able to sell your classes.

I wish you a complete and speedy recovery. Your longarm can be used as your motivation to a full recovery.

Good Luck,

Lisa:)

Claire, a very dear friend has had 2 complete shoulder replacements. She was religous in her attention to physical therapy. She would have no difficulty now using a longarm machine. However, the recovery time was long and she really did have to work hard. Good luck with your recovery. With a postiive attitude , the motivation you already have, and the prayers of this group, you'll be once again, quilting beautifully. Jane

Claire, be encouraged!! I have a dear friend who had both sholders replaced, and she used my millie to quilt one of her quilt tops last week. As everyone else has said the recovery takes time and you may have some limitations but using a longarm will probably not be one of them. So do yourself a big favor, rest, do your therapy and keep a positive outlook.

Claire, prayers for a lifted spirit, depletion of depression, and a Big smile and hug to you... Please, don't be so hard on yourself... afer several months, we'll let you, but not now so soon after surgery.. to you it probably feels like years, already. I just had total hip replacement a couple months ago.. so easy to recover from, compared to the shoulder,, and my healing and range of motion is still not complete.

You will do well keeping at the therapy.. I always did more than asked to do.. ask your therapist if you can.. it really helped me, but I also had no pain from the new hip, just the surgery site..

You've been given good advice from the medical field and other friends here, so take heart and yup, turn the ugly stuff off and smile.. hug yourself.. it feels good. Hugs and big smile to you!

God Bless,

Ritar

Claire, I had right shoulder surgery on Dec. 22, 2009. I'm still in physical therapy and have good range of motion. Just starting to add weights (as of yesterday) It took 1 month before physical therapy was even started. The shoulder is a very delicate surgery and needs lots of loving TENDER care.

You'll find the smallest things mean so much (the day my right hand could help brush teeth). Buy big shirts that button down the front, elastic waist pants. Instead of quilting I began making quilt tops (had friends cut the fabric) I'm at my Millie again, although my time is rather short before my arm gets tired, it feels great to be quilting again. I'm so sorry for your injury and will be hoping to hear about your recovery. Injuries of any kind can really shake up your world. Be kind to yourself, and let the healing begin.

Claire, I have no experience in this type of surgery, BUT I completely understand you're concern about your LA (not yours, the machines! LOL!) You have received such wonderful advice and affection already, I just want to add that I am sending my best wishes to you and my prayers for a speedy recovery. I hope you can find something "quilty" to do while you are recovering. What a great idea to have someone cut out a quilt top for you to put together. You might have a stack of tops ready when you are set to go back to your LA. Take care and keep us posted as to your progress. :)

Thanks so much for the prayers and encouragement. I am really not being as negative as I guess I came on. I know that with therapy I should have a good recovery, but I am sometimes an impatient person and the thought of MONTHS before I can resume all of my normal activities frustrates me. Betty, what you said about brushing you teeth is so true - who would have thought it would be so awkward to brush your teeth with your left hand. And I'm sure my family could submit a tape of me trying to dry and style my hair to America's funniest home videos. Hearing that you are back at you MIllie already is just what I needed to hear. And I may try to convince one of my daughters to do some cutting for me so I can try some sewing. The good news is that I may at least lose some weight with this. It takes so long to eat with my left hand that I get tired of eating before I get full.

Claire, my brother and DSIL were riding a motorcycle several years ago in Casper Wy, and a police chase, came down the street and the person the police were chasing ran over my family...sending them both into the hospital. DSIL was banged up but not nearly as bad as my brother. His shoulder was pretty messed up and his shoulder blade was shattered..the ball socket was severally damaged.

All this said, with his wonderful doctors and his paying great attention to what they said, he is now back in the oil fields...he was about 6 months of major pain and was in PT for just as long...but with time and all he is not about 85% pain free. He said it all depends on the day, but oil field work is WAY more than quilting we ever be. He said his range of motion is 100% and his shoulder also healed better than they had hoped for.

Good luck in healing and keep up the good work and you will be back quilting very soon, and will have put this behind you.

Claire,

I'm so sorry to hear of your injury, but pleased to see the positive results that others here have posted. Nothing to add on that front. I would second the idea of big shirts that button down the front, and maybe an electric toothbrush. It's easier that way. My mother had rotator cuff surgery last year, so not nearly as difficult as yours, but some other advice from her. She lives alone, so now one to help her get dressed. Gave up on bras during that time. Make sure before you sit down that you can reach the toilet paper. Nothing like having to call your son in law who is "babysitting" you during recovery time to have to come and hand you back the toilet paper after the housekeeper moved it to where it was supposed to be.

I'd also recommend keeping a collection of quilting novels handy. Something fun to read that will distract you, but keep your mind open to quilting. According to Amazon, Jennifer Chiaverini has a new book out, as well as Earlene Fowler. I'm also currently reading "A Single Thread" by Marie Bostwick. I've got a series of needlework mystery books from my MIL, if you'd like the author, let me know.

Please let us know how you are doing in your recovery.

Claire, I do hope you recover well and it sounds, from others, that with time you will. That's good news!!

Reading wise, I'd highly recommend "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. If you can, listen to it from Audible.com. The three women narrating make the story such a treat. Its a terrific book!

Good luck with your recovery.

Thanks for the book suggestions. I have been looking for things to read to help pass the time. I have also taken up knitting, since that mostly involves hand movement. I have tried to knit in the past but would get overwhelmed with how to fix a mistake, so I stuck with crocheting where there is only one loop to deal with. So I'm doing a simple knit 2 purl 2 scarf and figure after 60 inches of that I may be confident enough to try a real project. So on the bright side, I might master a new skill.

Claire, 3 years ago I had a shoulder injury. Had surgery that was botched. Had to be "redone". Long story short--Do not give up....I too wanted results quickly to get back my life. It didnt happen as I wanted. But, God had another plan, in the waiting I did soul searching, found out how to let others help me. I was always the caregiver--RN. After a year of physical therapy and 2 surgeries, I did have to sell my Milli. But with the help of Lenni. I was able to incorporate Lenni in my physical therapy sessions, I have recovered. There is hope. And I now own an Ult 1 and can reach that far. I know the pain you have, plan and take pain med about 30 minutes prior to physical therapy and then be sure and rest after your sessions. I will keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted on your progress

Thanks Irene. Hearing your story and of Bonnie's brother helps me realize that with patience and work things can eventually return to almost normal. Like you I am a nurse and the caregiver in my family. Over the last several years I have been very involved in helping my wonderful inlaws when they need assistance, my parents, an elderly aunt who had no children, and a dear aunt who was like a sister to me. And these folks have been spread out from Texas to Massachusetts! I do think one of the lessons for me with this injury is learning to allow people to help me. I had a therapy session today, and my PT assures me that I am right on schedule with my rehab and since I am willing to do whatever he tells me to do, even if it makes me cry, he expects that I will have a good outcome. Thank you all for the prayers and encouragement. While I'm waiting to get back to work I'll enjoy seeing all of the lovely creations you ladies turn out.

Archived