Longarm Quilter's Role in Disclosure to Customers? When is it appropriate?

OK kids,

I have a current concern that is new to me. Last night I loaded a king size customer quilt on the frame. The top is a blended 9 patch (dark purples and deep reds and warm golds) that is very beautiful and very nicely pieced. If only all of my quilt tops were this nice and flat. :)

..... Anyway, the concern is the backer--- it is a beautiful turquoise blue green sun-dyed batik with various leaves shapes all across. As I was quilting it, I noticed some green color was rubbing off on the palms of my hand hands!! :o:o That's when I realized it was the color of the backer rubbing off on my hands. I washed my hands and the dye came right off,,, but I just know that when she puts this against the sheets green color will rub off for sure, and definitely when she washes this thing it will bleed and it will require several washings to get all the dye to be completely released... Ugh! Good thing the top is all dark fabrics...

So... my question is, should I tell my customer? Or should I keep mum? I am half way through quilting this big huge baby and I ain't ripping it out! Not my problem. She is a new customer and someone with lots of piecing knowledge experience and I would love to keep her as a customer in the future.

Well......... what should I do? What is my "role" as a longarm quilter? Do I say something? :( Something tells me I should...

I just hate breaking bad news...

I think I would say something. I mean, when she finds out, she might think; "How did Shana not see this?" Or worse, "Why didn't Shana tell me about this?" That way she knows when washing it to throw in a few (or more) color catchers, and she won't ruin the beautiful quilt.

JMHO

I'd just finish quilting and when I gave it back to her I'd tell her the color came off on my hands and advise her it will probably continue to bleed and she might like to wash it before use to avoid transfer onto her sofa or bed. Just remind her to add several color-catchers to her wash and use cold water. I'd smile and brag on her piecing and how I love quilting for a piecer like her and smile some more :D:D.

I would call her and tell her. Explain that you just noticed it and are half done. She has the option to pay you for the 1/2 you've done and rip it out and start with a washed backer or you can keep going, her call. I'm an up-front kind of girl. Obviously you have time into this already so you should get paid for what you've done. Just explain to her that you wanted to give her the option before you got it done.

I don't quilt for others so haven't had customer experiences. However, if I were your customer and this were my quilt, I would want to know. It is really a problem of the fabric, nothing the customer did (with the possible exception of the fabric not being prewashed.) You might tell your customer about the problem before you quilt any further and then tell her about dye catchers and suggest she wash the quilt before using it and ask if she would like you to finish the quilting. It doesn't sound like the green is coming through to the top so if it were my quilt I would have you finish it and then wash using dye catchers, or whatever the product is that sets color into fabric, or both.

I didn't realize this would happen with batik, or any quality fabric, but it is good to know, and tilts the scale in favor of prewashing fabrics.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Well......... what should I do? What is my "role" as a longarm quilter? Do I say something? :( Something tells me I should...

I just hate breaking bad news...

Shana sweetie--this is not bad news--it's just information. You didn't make her backer run, you just discovered it. Tell her to bind it and then treat it with Synthrapol to remove the excess dye. Then set what's left of the dye with Retayne. Both are readily available. Then do all future washes with Color Catchers and all should be well. You will be applauded for your vast knowledge and helpfulness!:D

Yeah, Shana...what Linda said.:D You didn't cause the problem (unless you're magic), you just discovered it. Finish the quilt and let her know. In fact, if you're really feeling bad about it, maybe get some Syntrapol and sell it to her or give her enough for a load.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

..... Anyway, the concern is the backer--- it is a beautiful turquoise blue green sun-dyed batik with various leaves shapes all across. As I was quilting it, I noticed some green color was rubbing off on the palms of my hand hands!! :o:o

Are you sure you're just not green with envy over that perfectly pieced top? :P:P:P:P:P

Originally posted by hmerrill

Are you sure you're just not green with envy over that perfectly pieced top? :P:P:P:P:P

Hahahaha! :P Yes, I am also very "green" with envy because of the beautiful pieced top! It really is very beautiful.

......Anyway, I wanted to pop back in... I have to follow up to tell you all THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the WONDERFUL ADVICE you all gave to me!!! :) I just got off the phone with my customer and explained. She was very OK with this... in fact she said normally she would wash all of her fabrics but she was afraid of shrinkage (it's a special king size hand dyed backer she bought) and the quilt top was 110x100 and she didn't want to pre wash in fear of the backer shrinking... So she is Ok with me just continuing on and finish the quilting and then she will run it through a top loader a few times with dye catcher and Synthropol.

WHEW!!

Oh, and this is a quilt her daughter pieced--- she (the mom) taught her how to sew. Anyway, the piecing is impeccable; it lays as flat as a pancake. I told my customer it was a very pretty quilt. She wants to put it in our little Fairbanks fair this summer. (cute) :)

Thanks again, you all are the best. Love you all so much!!

I am so glad you called your customer. You had the deep seated feeling you should call, and these are normally always the way to go! ;)

I think it is just part and parcel of what we have to do as quilting professionals. If something is wrong, we have to let our customers know and give them the choice of how to proceed. Yes, it is bad news but how much worse could it have been for your customer if you didn't inform her and she washed the quilt for the first time? :o

In the end, I ask myself the question of how I would feel if I weren't told of a problem that could ruin my work.

O.K. you very talented and knowledgeable people have come up with a term I am not familiar with -- what exactly is a 'color catcher' -- certainly sounds like something I will need to know about sooner or later.

Shana, I agree -- if I were the quilter or quilt owner, I would want to know.

Patsy

Archived