Edgriderwheels, are they worth it?

Ok, I want to be well informed. So I would like to know from all of you APQS edgerider wheel users...

1) why did you go to the edgerider wheels? What problems where you having before with the wheels that came with your machine?

2) How/ did the edgerider wheels improve & or eliminate your prior problems?

3) do you still have to clean your wheels and rails? is it less often?

4) do these wheels ever have to be replaced?

5)how does these affect the encoders?

Thanks for your input :)

I will jump in here...

1) I felt an unevenness in the black wheels that came with my Green Millie. The white ER wheels are more true!

2) Because of the higher quality material of the ER wheels, I feel they are more truly round and give me less of an uneven feeling when quilting.

3) I do still have to clean the wheels and rails by rubbing with alcohol. I saw no change in how often as compared to the black wheels.

4) I believe they do need to but only when they become worn...I have had mine for well over a year...and see no wear on them yet!

5) I adjusted the encoders when the ER wheels were first put on Frogger and have had no encoder issues yet!

Joann, I would agree with Kristina on all points. Before I got the edgeriders, I felt like I was fighting my machine. I didn't have trouble with what I would call "drag" all the time, but I did feel like the machine would pull me off course in certain places....does that make sense? Trying to make nice smooth curves was an issue for me. After we installed the Edgeriders, my problems all went away. I can't believe the smooth ride, and how light the machine feels. (I have a Millie) There are times now that I feel like I need a rice bag or something to add some weight because it floats so easily. If I give it a little push with my finger, I almost need to run to the end of the table to stop it.

I'm guessing you are asking because of all the talk about the new Bliss system. I have been watching the threads on this new system as well, and it does sound wonderful. Had I known about this 8 months ago when I bought my Millie, I would have waited. Having said that though, I am entirely happy with my machine, and can't imagine a smoother ride than I now have. It would be interesting to compare the Edgerider wheels and the Bliss side by side. I thought the $200 for the Edgeriders was quite an expense when I bought them, but it was worth every penny.... and a whole lot cheaper than the Bliss! I don't mind cleaning my wheels either.... I kinda like it in fact ;) I like to pamper my machine.

In the end I will say this... if there comes a time when I feel like I need to upgrade to a new machine, I would definitely consider the Bliss, as it does sound amazing, and I applaud APQS for improving their product...... but for now I am 100% satisfied with my smooth ride.

I didn't have any problems with my original wheels that I was aware of until I put the Edgeriders on. They are so slick and my movement is so smoth it is like sliding on ice. They have a 2 - 5 year life and you still need to keep your rails clean. I rent my machine and my renters love how much easier the machine moves.

I love my edgerider wheels - I agree with Sharon when she said that sometime with the black wheels it felt like my Mille had a mind of its own and would try to fight where I wanted it to go. Now the the ER wheels its super smooth. I spent S$170 for them and they are worth every penny.

I had heard about the "bliss" system but was told they were wheels not the whole rails, carriage. . . after hearing about the cost to upgrade . . . $170 sounds great to me.

I suggest before rushing into ordering the new Bliss upgrade you try out both the Bliss and the ER wheels and then decide what you can afford . . .

Love my edgerider wheels. I have had them over a year and don't regret the $170 purchase at all. I have to clean them weekly though. I just got tired of trying to adjust the black wheels and having to fight for control while quilting. I can now make pretty decent feathers. LOL

Cindy, I have had my edgeriders for about 6 months, and have not touched them once as far as adjustments go. Seemed like every time I put a quilt on the frame I was forever tweaking and trying to find the sweet spot with my original black wheels. I should say though, that my DH put the ER's on for me, and he is a perfectionist to say the least. He made sure my table was perfectly level, and the machine head is perfectly level as well. He may even have added or subtracted washers to achieve this, I'm not sure, but he didn't quit until it was perfect. I know, I watched him get out the digital calipers and the digital level! :) If everything is set up properly, there won't be any problems with the ER's..... I just can't describe the incredible difference it made for a smooth ride.

This will be a tough decision for many quilters, I'm sure.... I would love to have the latest and greatest with the Bliss as well.... I can't justify it though, as my Millie is so smooth already. Perhaps if I were able to try a side by side comparison I would change my mind, but I will not be able to get to any shows to check it out.... hoping many of you get that chance! I would be interested to know what the ride feels like compared to the ER's.

This makes me feel so much better. The edgerider wheels are part of the IQ installation so I will stop feeling as though I am missing something by not having the Bliss. I am looking forward and if Bliss is in the future, I'll deal with it then. So now I am celebrating the fact that I will be getting IQ the first of May!!!

I love my Miss Mollie and totally anticipate loving IQ!

The edgerider wheels are sounding very tempting, the price is deffinately a plus over the Bliss system. Plus the way your machines acted prior to the edgeriders is what I have been dealing with. Today I did 2 twin size quilts that were pantos and I was feeling the machine dragging, pulling, fighting where I wanted it to go. As I was quilting I was forming my pros and cons list in my head for both the edgerider wheels and the Bliss system and it keeps comming down to $. My machine is already 5 years old and at some point down the road (several years from now) I do want to trade it in for a new machine (probably the Freedom SR) so do I want to spend $3K now on an upgrade for my current machine or put that $ towards a future new machine? and in the mean time just buy the edgerider wheels. My Liberty also needs to go back to APQS for a spa treatment, it's over due, was planning on doing it this summer, which is another expense.

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

Thanks for your input, this will help me greatly in what I end up doing. :)

Joann,

I am sold on the Bliss system, and I think if you are in the business of quilting it would be easier on your body. For me, not gonna do it. If I upgrade, I want to trade/sell my machine and get the newer Millie with Bliss and hydr. lift. If I can sell my machine right now and buy the whole new system, I am looking at $9000 :o Nah!! I know "they" are saying the recession is getting better....but I still know way too many people out of work, so I am too cautious to spend that much money at this point. And then, for me, we are thinking that I will not be quilting in my retirement years. They way my neck/shoulders/arms feel...I'm kinda glad. You, however, are quilting for business, so if you want to stay with APQS machines, this would probably be a good idea for you. Do you do it now, then upgrade to a new machine later? I don't know....that one you will have to answer. You would need to decide if you can make your money back on this set up if you get it now....then buy it all over again, and try to make your money back on that set up.

That is what I can't wrap my head around...how much money can we spend in this business and make money? I know you have to spend money to make money. But when you sit down and really think about the cost of everything you have to have to run a quilting business....and think about the $$ you are making per quilt....how long will it take to start to turn a profit.

I'm going for the Edgeriders. I'm not planning to be in business. I have lived with a florecent light bulb and a seperate blacklight bulb.....and with the Edgeriders, maybe it will make doing my smaller work easier. After all, other quilters can accomplish the little stuff on the current machines. So I'm good with Edgeriders.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

I'm going for the Edgeriders. I'm not planning to be in business. I have lived with a florecent light bulb and a seperate blacklight bulb.....and with the Edgeriders, maybe it will make doing my smaller work easier. After all, other quilters can accomplish the little stuff on the current machines. So I'm good with Edgeriders.

Yes, the ER wheels make the smaller work easier. I can do micro work with my SR on and it is smooth. I increase the SPI up to around 15 and never feel like I have to go in manual mode. I can stop and think about where I need to go next, it is great.

Joann, the ER wheels for a Liberty and a Freedom SR are the same set. So, if you were to upgrade down the road, you could keep the same wheels. They do last, I have never heard this 2-5 year stuff that I am seeing on this chat, but even so, I would buy them again if necessary.

Definitely worth it and I wouldn't go back to the black wheels! I was not completely unhappy with my black wheels but I thought that it could be better. As it turns out I had 2 black wheels were leaking grease and causing me problems. ER were like night and day! I can't say enough good about them. Besides my Quiltazoid they are some of the best money I ever spent! Yes they definitly make micro work easier!

I have a wheel currently leaking a little grease from time to time too.

Next question, how easy/hard is it to switch out the wheels to the edgerider ones and what about the center of my table where the truss is? this is the spot (the closr I get to it) that causes the most troubles for me or when I notice the drag the most. The distance between my rails and the truss bar where the center bolt is measures 1 1/4" is this the norm?

My manual never stated a measurement just stated it needed to be level which it is but I feel that this is where most of my drag is comming from and when I stitch at angles & whether it be going into or out of a circle. However my machine can easily slide when pushed lightly severy feet down the rails and also moves easily front to back. So just changing to edgerider wheels and adjusting the wheels to what Patty suggested to others in the past is all that is needed to correct these issues I am having? without having to touch the truss bolts?

I should have paid for the $500 for the proffessional install 5 years ago, it would have been less frustrating, lol :P:P

I think this thread is very helpful, thank you to all who have posted to it.

Joann. I lowered the center truss quite a bit because I was feeling a drag in the middle too.

Also, the ER wheels were no problem to install. If and when you do it...I am sure that Patty can tell the exact number of washers to add under it to make it still work with your CL system. It is really easy and you will not be disappointed!

Hi, Joann,

Same for me...I lowered the center truss bolts quite a bit and it helped eliminate most of the drag.

I know I originally did not have good luck with the EdgeRidgers, but it could have been operator error. I only had the one page of printed directions and they were not specific to APQS. I bet with Patty's help, my experience would have been much better! ;)

THANK YOU ALL!!!

I just got off the phone with Patty and I placed my order for the Edgerider Wheels. I think this is the best choice for me and my machine right now. And this way I will be able to send my Liberty back to the factory this summer for it's long over do spa treatment.

It just doesn't make alot of sense to me to put $3K into a machine that I want to trade up to a larger one several years down the road.

Archived