stranded international mqx quilters

Hi -

I'm not terribly close to Providence (about 4.5 hour drive) but I have plenty of room and would be happy to pick you up and bring you here until you can get home safely.

I will u2u my phone number if you like - just let me know.

I am most sincere int his offer.'

Meg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meg

Thank you. Such a kind and generous offer. Should this go on indefinitely we may need help. There are all sorts of stories of plight hitting the news. Only this morning I heard of a teacher away with 20 schoolchildren in the far east desperate for help. How scarry is that for her , the children and their parents.

Linzi

Fingers crossed you get to fly tomorrow although its not looking good. I'll be thinking of you.

Chris that poor school teacher. I wish I was near where she is cause I would go help! As a parent I just gasp when I read that. I was watching the news this morning and they interviewed a lady that was stuck at the airport for 4 days now, with no where to stay for her and her child. She does not have the funds to stay at a hotel and she said besides that everything was already filled. She hasn't even been able to take a shower. I hope this blows over quickly and you all get to go home. I'm sure that is a horrible feeling!

Hi Linzi, Chris & Tracy and UK stranded,

I hope you get back OK tomorrow, I just heard that a friend who has got stranded in China wont be able to get a flight back to the UK until 12th May !!!!!

Amazing !

Hope you all get back OK soon. I bet your families are missing you !

Take care :)

UK airports in the north are supposed to be opening on tuesday morning,so if you are flying to manchester or scotland there is half a chance of you travelling though the situation is constantly changing as the eruptiuon is increasing at the moment but spewing less ash and more lava which should mean less ash cloud.. Fingers crossed for you all.

Anne

We found that quite an interesting thought, possibly travelling back on one of the 3 ships that are proposed to pick people up from Southern European ports.

We have a colleague who was stranded since last Thursday who got on a flight to Madrid last night in the hope that he could travel by land across Europe to the UK. I don't think he fully appreciated the extrent of the problem of numbers there all trying to do the same thing. He has been out of contact since leaving Houston last night but it is known that a credit card transaction showed that he bought a flight from Madrid to Toulouse in Southern France. I 'm not sure he will get back any earlier than us if we do eventaually board that plane on Friday!

Linzi, Tracy and Chris so sorry you all are still stranded here.

If I can do anything just give me a yell. Bonnie must be jumping with joy having all your help in the studio. Linzi, I'm sure you got that panel quilted by now. Chris, I hope you're snuggled in with a "quilt" family or a friend. Have you all heard from the other stranded quilters? Things don't look to good with the volcano this morning. Oh, I must remark that I'm impressed with the Royal Navy helping it's citizens. Tracy, give your sailors a hug from a retired US sailor.:cool:

Well maybe you should just fly down to Paducah as it seems there is little chance of getting on a flight before the weekend as there is now such a backlog of passengers and british airspace is closed again.

You must be so frustrated especially as no one can give you a firm travel date.. It was probably a bit of an adventure at first but now is becoming beyond a joke. Your families must be missing you now.

I hope you get some resolution to the problem soon.

Yvette

Now booked on a flight next thurs 29th! Kids wondering when I will be back and now losing lots time on joining yurt panels together. Hoping friends at home will make a start on velcro for me... Will be able to do at least one panel here at Bonnie's. We may have to do another one and title it Volcano ;)

Oh my gosh thursday week is a long time away. My yurt top is nearly ready to send but I think I had better quilt it and send it to you finished. I will use polydown and I will put a splodgy blue backing on it.

What a good thing you are staying with Bonnie but what a lot for her to do also.

Keep us posted.

Yvette

Linzi and Tracy, as Kay said "what a great place to be grounded" Being stranded can be emotionally stressful. But how wonderful knowing that there's not a one us here that would not adopt you two : ) beautiful! NY took food, basic necessities, goodies, portable toilets and most importantly portable showers to "CAMP JFK" yesterday. Most people had not showered in a week (want discuss that one) and those with small children were a bit desperate. On the flights that did become available the passengers were loaded according to their personal situations, the very young and mothers to the seniors and medical issues used to make determinations as to whom would be boarding first and who would be waiting. The teachers with the 20 teenagers should have arrived home sometime after midnight this morning. But know that the kids said themselves that they enjoyed NY and didn't want priority boardering back home, they wanted to stay in NY for perhaps a week or two or more - their words. Giving the circumstances, New York did her part to make our visitors as compfortable as possible.

Glad you're not at Camp JFK. Will keep check on you two, Marilynn

Archived