Machine Comparison

Everyone here was so helpful in answering my post last week about buying a new machine vs. an existing business with an older machine - Thank you!

I'm up to my eyeballs now searching websites and reading forums as I gather informatio to help with the "what machine to buy" decision. Looking at the Millenium and the A-1, I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer.

Does the Millenium/12' table have a mechanism that gives you access to the batting layer to smooth out any bumps or wrinkles?

And does anyone know if the A-1/12' table is available with some sort of overhead wiring or cord management system?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi prarie, I think I would call the two companies and ask them I know nothing about the A1, And Very little about the Milli. I think if you partially float the quilt you can fold it back, smooth out the batting and quilt some more. I don't find it to be a big problem as long as I throw the batting in the dryer with 2 or 3, wet down and well wrung out old hand towels.. It seems to relax it and it definitely comes out with less sharp wrinkles. Do NOT try it with the batting that has an iron on back to it. Messy batting, dryer and old hand towels.

Good Luck, and I must say Welcome to the zany world of insane, careing, diverse site of APQS.. glad to have you here, um I guess we just call you Prairie, or you can share your first name. (wink)

RitaR

I'm not really sure what you're talking about. The Millenium has two poles in front. I free float my tops. The batting is between the two poles and so is the quilt top. If I want to check the batting I just lift up the quilt, but I rarely need to do that. I keep it straight on the sides.

The A1 only has one pole in front. I don't know if that would make a difference.

It wouldn't be a reason for me to buy one machine over another.

I don't know a lot about the A-1 machine, but you do have access to the batting on the Millenium. The two front rollers and the way the top and backing are wound on those rollers, give enough room to smooth batting if necessary. However, you smooth batting as you go along, because you have easy access to it as it feeds into the machine. I have never had a problem with batting not being smooth because as you advance the quilt, you just smooth the batting as part of the process. Very easy!

This differs from the Gammill machine, for example, because the Gammills roll the quilt and backing on the two front rollers differently than Milleniums. Therefore, the Gammills have a front roller that flips up, as does the Innova machine by ABM.

In making your decision, check out "gadgets" you might like to get in the future...Quiltazoid, Circle Lord, Topper or whatever and make sure the machine you select will work with them. The Quiltazoid was a factor in my decision to buy a Millenium, as was the customer service, the warranty, special offers, etc. as well as the help available online from both APQS and Millenium owners.

Can you "test drive" both machines where you live? That's the best way to get a feel for which machine is right for you.

hi mary

i'm a newbie who just got my machine in november (and i love it) and my best advice to you would be to drive all the machines you are considering. there are many manufacturer specific things that will be good or bad depending on the you personally and what you do and dont like, etc.

after you narrow it down to a couple that you like - then you can get researching gadgets and financing and all that razzmatazz.

jmho

good luck deciding

meg

The apqs frame does not have a mechanism for lifting the top off the quilt for smoothing batting. I know the gammill table does not sure about the a-1 (I think it does) I used to have a gammill and sold it to purchase my millie and have never regretted it, however I do miss being able to lift the top bar and get to the batting. On the millie I just loosen the backing, reach under and smooth batting, not as convenient, but it can be done.

MARY, I AM SOOOOOO HAPPY TO MEET YOU!!! I live in Cooks Creek, just 15 or 20 minutes from Lockport. Would you like to come and see my Millie and try her out? You are more than welcome to do that. I also have the QZ and you're welcome to try that as well. If you are interested, let me know and I'll give you my phone number 2U2. Not even a long distance phone number at that! Love to hear from you. :cool:

Hi Mary

On a Milli on the very rare ocassion that I want to get between the top fabric and the batting I just loosen the tension brake that connects the backing and top fabric roller and I can put my hand between the layers. The tension brake system on the APQS machine holds the fabric at the right tension, not too tight like ratchet systems, and you can easily tug the batting to make sure it is smooth all over.

Before you make a decision on which machine to buy, try to check out the Milli with Bliss, it is the only machine on the market with this tracking system. I love one lady's description - "its like getting into a warm bath". Also the larger throat space 26" is the way to go, especially if you are considering adding a computer later.

APQS have a very attractive overhead lighting system that the wiring can be hooked into.

Good luck in your future quilting career

Hi Mary

Welcome to the forum!

It's well worth trying out these machines. I tried many before settling for my Millennium and it was well worth the investment in time. I have never had any difficulty straightening out batting or removing stray thread between the layers.

Don't forget that APQS offer an 8 year warranty on all their machines - and for a very good reason. Also, the support you get from APQS in Iowa while learning and should any problems arise, as wells as from this forum, is amazing.

Good luck with your search.

I have the Millie. I was thinking about an A-1 at one point in my life. There are two reasons I didn't go with an A-1. The reason I was considering the A-1....I know of some really great quilters that use the A-1 and do very tiny, intricate work. The reason I didn't go with the A-1...the first reason was the fishing line stitch regulator whatever it is ....just seemed kind of cheesy. Second, I contacted the A-1 home office and asked questions and indicated that I was interested in trying out their machine. I got a message back saying they would be back in touch with me with someone in my area that had a machine I could try. Never heard back from them. I went to another chat that is pretty much backed by A-1 and emailed an A-1 dealer and told her what I was thinking. She slammed the APQS machines and company. Well, that is when I realized that I was an APQS girl :) I don't like it when one company or representative tryies to distroy another company.

That all being said, I like everything about the Millie. I am not sure I would go with the Bliss system....however I may change my mind by the end of this week when I try it out later. But I would go with an APQS machine again.

Hi Mary, and welcome from another Canadian Prairie girl! I live in Southeast SK... almost 5 hr drive from Winnipeg. Wish I was closer, I would crash the party you and Linda are going to have! I love my Millie, got her last September, so am still very much a newbie. Have fun choosing your machine, and make sure you come back here often.... this is a great place! Good luck to you!

Hi Mary, Welcome to the forum from another prairie chick! Linda posted pictures of her quilting studio a while ago and it is beautiful. You will definately be inspired and learn a lot for her.

Chosing a machine is can be so overwhelming but you'll know which one is right the moment you try it! Have fun and good luck.

Archived