Flooding in Iowa

How are all the quilters in Iowa doing after the heavy rains and flooding last night? Linda in Oskaloosa, there are quite a few reports of damage down your way -- are you OK? Lynne, not sure where you are located, but hope all is well. Also, Linda and Adam (Quiltazoid) are fairly close to the Ames area, which also got hit pretty hard. And of course Dawn is in Ankeny. And all the factory people in Carroll.

I'm in Bondurant and the part of the neighborhood where we live did fine, but just a few blocks away there were many flooded basements that I don't think had ever flooded before. Lots of soaked carpet and pad on the curbs and furniture and personal belongings drying in driveways. So sad. The most I can complain about is tomatoes not doing so well and a little dead grass where water tends to stand in our yard. Even so, my husband is on his way right now to pick up a generator. We could have had a real problem if the power had gone out for any length of time last night and the sump pump had stopped. Figured it was better to be safe than sorry if this happens again.

Hope everyone is safe and dry.

We live on a hill, so safe from flooding, but Hwy 92 is closed between our farm and Oskaloosa. Been closed for 3 days. We have to detour around to get to town. Several roads are under water in the area. We went driving around last evening and some of the flood damage is horrible. Amazing how much force water has. Lots of wet basements that have never been wet before. We have had so much rain this summer, that our garden literally drowned. Got a few tomatoes and cukes and that's it. They didn't even have the good flavor like usual.

I have been watching the weather reports and street/road closings, as I am supposed to go to APQS in Des Moines tomorrow for my free class with Dawn ! I've been looking forward to this so much. This morning, I heard where the intersection I go through to get there was under water, but now it's not listed. Hopefully, all will be dry tomorrow morning. I plan to leave plenty early just in case I do run into detours. When everything goes right, we are 1 hour from Des Moines.

Supposed to be HOT, but dry tomorrow and then more thunderstorms coming Friday. Wheeeeee. :(

Mary, we bought a generator last winter, but fortunately didn't have to use it. We have been without power for several days before and decided we would just bite the bullet and buy a generator. Hope we never have to use it, but it's there in case.

Linda,

Glad to hear you are ok. You are the first thing I thought about when I heard there was so much flooding in Oskaloosa. The generator is still sitting in the box in the garage -- looks like we may have until Friday before any threat of new rain, then the forecast looks a little better for next week. I pray we never have to use it, but hubby says it's less expensive than the insurance deductible if we did have damage, and certainly a lot less hassle and heartache.

Hope you get to Dawn's class with no problems tomorrow. She is a great teacher.

Thank you for your concerns for us Iowans! The rain has been unrelenting...5 inches Sunday, 3 on Monday/Tuesday, and 5 again last evening. Ames, Iowa (20 miles north of Des Moines) is an island with flooding of historic proportions. Their water plant is flooded and there is no fresh water. Very similar to the Des Moines floods of 1993. For curiosity seekers, visit one of our local TV station's websites for some stunning and sad shots: www.kcci.com

Carroll and the APQS showroom in Des Moines have fared okay, but directly across the road in Des Moines the manuracturing plants have been under water twice in a week. Colfax, IA and Oskaloosa residents are also in dire straits. Thank you for your prayers for the areas and people hardest hit!

Mary:

Take that generator out of the box and "exercise" it. These should be run several times a year. If you don't use it for a couple of years and then try it I believe you may be past the warrantee if it doesn't work. We have a large generator on each of our farms (3) and also at the fire dept (yes I am a firefighter/emt) All fans and gererators are "exercised" each month at all locations and it is surprising how often one doesn't start. If it is a gas generator make sure you burn all gas out of the engine so it doesn't get stale and make sure that the can of gas doesn't get stale. There is nothing worse than a generator that won't run when it is needed!!

My prayers go out to all of the flood victims. The clean up is horrible, hot, stinky.

Mary,

Thanks for posting. I'm sending my well wishes and prayers as well. The flooding here in parts of Atlanta last September was awful. I know that Nashville had more than its share of water earlier this year. So, I pray for safety first and then minimal property damage.

BTW, where is the Iowa State Fair in relation to the flooded areas?

Lynn

Don't know where I've been the last few days - hiding out in my basement studio because it's too hot to be anyplace else......but I just heard about the flooding this morning while watching the news. Wow, you've been hit hard these last few days!

Take good care, stay safe and know there's a lot of us keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!

Just spoke to my son, who attends Iowa State in Ames. He and some others are living at one of the fraternity houses. They are okay, except there is no drinking water in Ames and it is very difficult to go anywhere due to road closures. I guess Walmart, where they buy everything, is flooded, part of I-35 is flooded. Only essential workers are to report to work at Iowa State due to no drinking water, and summer classes were canceled for the same reason. And more rain is expected. And the guys went to volunteer to bag sand, but now the place where they bag sands is now flooded. Not good :( My prayers are go out to all those personally affected.

Had to take a circuitous route to the Fair last night for Preview because of all the flooding. Traffic was interesting. The fairgrounds so far are dry and the Preview went off without a hitch. We came from about 60 miles north (just east of Ames) and I-35 is closed just to the south of us so had to go east and south to find dry blacktop.

The quilts this year are just beautiful. I really would NOT want to be the judge. There are so many. Jeri and I got a blue ribbon on her Underground Railroad quilt. She pieced it and I quilted it. Jeri cried! It was her first blue ribbon. All I could do was stand there looking very stupid I'm sure with this huge grin on my face! We're thrilled!

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. I'm so bummed because I go to Starbucks in Ames every day for a coffee and I just can't get there from here!

I live on Ames Island. What a mess! We have been told not to flush the toilets, no laundry, no drinking water, no showers, can't do dishes without boiling the water first. The roads have reopened for the most part.I tell you what, none of this has stopped me from quilting. We still have power = I am still quilting. I live in the North part of Ames so I didn't have the closed streets and water up to my doors or anything like that. We thank God for that every day. People sure have come together in this time of crisis. We will make it through stronger in the end. And for some, they will make it through with new carpet in their basements.

Well, I made it to Des Moines today for my class with Dawn. Didn't run into any detours because of flooding, but others did and had to detour around. It was a little foggy early, but it cleared pretty quickly. Had a GREAT class today..........it was the beginner class that comes free with the purchase of a machine. I think my brain is on overload with all the information Dawn went through. Lots of handouts to read over later when I can focus again. :D Some were staying for the Advanced Beginner class tomorrow. I may take that later on, but I need to absorb today first.

Met Dollie Bee from the forum today. She recognized me from my picture. There was a couple from North Carolina who had been at the factory in Carroll and then to Des Moines for Dawn's classes. They are retiring soon and planning to open their own business. Another lady from near Boston! Guess I am very lucky to live so close to the showroom/classroom. Not sure I would travel that far for a class.

THANK YOU DAWN for a wonderful, informative day...............It was great! I had been looking forward to this for so long and with all the rain and then the fog this morning, I thought I was doomed. But it all worked out just fine.

Was that Bill and Marlene? I took the class with them at the factory, we came up from Arkansas. It was so nice and cool in Iowa!

I hope the flooding stops soon, send some rain our way, it's like the Sahara Desert down here.

There was a couple from North Carolina who had been at the factory in Carroll and then to Des Moines for Dawn's classes. They are retiring soon and planning to open their own business. Another lady from near Boston! Guess I am very lucky to live so close to the showroom/classroom. Not sure I would travel that far for a class.

I just checked the Reiman Gardens website and they say the quilt show will continue as scheduled. I'm sure they must have had water. I'm not sure how bad it will be but the show starts today none the less. I don't know if I will make it or not. I am so glad it is Friday. What a longggggggg week here in Ames.

I was wondering about Adam and Linda.............I had e-mailed them to order a stylus, but hadn't heard back yet. Thought maybe they were out of town or something. Since you got an e-mail, maybe I will hear soon.

More rain to come this afternoon again, but then it is supposed to dry out and cool off. I am ready for FALL weather. This heat and humidity is awful..........just draining.

Prayers for everyones safety and well being.. and that the weather settles down.. Please don't take any risks, and the info on using the generators is correct.. sorta like keeping them primed to run properly.

Tracy, didn't know you are an emt/fireman/lady. thanks for being there for those who need it.

RitaR

Archived