Dawn wins at Iowa State Fair

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, thanks everyone! You are all too kind with your praises. I have not been able to get to the fair, but have heard that the quilts are spectacular as usual. It is humbling to win, especially with the number of extremely talented quilters in Iowa.

Congrats to all the individuals who have won ribbons and awards at fairs across the country this summer! It doesn't matter if it's your local guild show, a county fair, or something else. We still want to highlight all of you in our "Quilt of the Week" page on the website, and even our daily newsletter. You just have to not be shy and let us know so we can feature you and your quilt!

From the APQS home page, scroll to the bottom and click on the link "Submit a Quilt". If you receive the daily newsletter, you can also submit a quilt using a similar link under the featured quilt or quilter.

We'd love to have a photo of your quilt to show along with your honors...get busy and get snapping! (Now that being said, I won't be able to make it to the fair this year, so I'll have to rely on any of you who may be going to snap and post a photo of the quilt at the Iowa State Fair.) I did not enter the quilt; Leigh Lussie (one of my customers) did. Bless her heart, I heard that she marched up to the superintendent and asked that my name be added to the display as the quilter, especially in relation to the award it won--a very nice gesture. (Lynda's recent "experience" with show superintendants crossed my mind when I heard that:)).

Thanks again!

I saw the quilt Dawn, and your work is gorgeous, as usual. Only problem is, there are sooooo many quilts at the Iowa State Fair that many get folded into thirds or fourths, so we couldn't see the whole thing! Any chance it might be posted on this site when the fair is over???

From what I could tell, all the quilts, except this one, had just the name of the person who submitted it. I saw no separate name listed for a quilter on any of them, and I know at least some of those quilts had to have been quilted by someone besides the piecer. Congrats to your customer for insisting that your name be added!

One of these days, can you share with us how in the world you do that teeny tiny stippling and have it look so great?

Yes, I wish all fair levels would list the quilter. Sometimes, "it's the quilting that makes the quilt" as Dawn says. One of my customers entered 4 quilts in the Iowa State Fair and 3 received 1st place ribbons; I'm sure I quilted at least two of them. Since I haven't been to the fair yet, I'm not sure which ones I quilted for her. I think it just would be a nice complement to show the quiters name on the tags. I can't imagine it would be that hard to put one extra line on the entry form!

Just my opinion!!!

Sharon

Dawn what a gorgeous quilt, and double WOW on the feathers.....I so want to ge you when I grow up....;)

Originally posted by countrystitcher

Yes, I wish all fair levels would list the quilter. Sometimes, "it's the quilting that makes the quilt" as Dawn says. One of my customers entered 4 quilts in the Iowa State Fair and 3 received 1st place ribbons; I'm sure I quilted at least two of them. Since I haven't been to the fair yet, I'm not sure which ones I quilted for her. I think it just would be a nice complement to show the quiters name on the tags. I can't imagine it would be that hard to put one extra line on the entry form!

Just my opinion!!!

Sharon

This is true I too wish it would have been a thing when I was doing customer quilts....but even worst is when the customer has more than one quilter and has multi quilts in the show and has the WRONG quilters name on the entry....have had this happen more than once in different shows with different customers. When confronting them about the quilters name....one even went so far to say what does it matter its just a quilt.

That's when I realized the customers really don't/didnt' get it....it was just a quilt to them so they just didn't understand it was my blood and sweat on that quilt, and it was SO more than just a quilt.

Archived