echoing and what i discovered

hi - i just wanted to share something i learned while quilting my first top with an allover flower meander that i have been practicing. i had been PPPing this meander all over an entire sheet and i just couldnt seem to get the spacing right with the echoes. got sick of having nothing to show for my efforts, so i loaded a busy top that i pieced using some old fats that i had in my stash - figuring that i wouldnt be able to see the quilting on it anyway.

when i first started working...OMGosh - couldnt believe i was so dumb - I COULDNT SEE WHERE I WAS GOING on many of the busy prints. decided to just follow the lines and not worry too much about where i was going....VOILA! that's how i figured out what i was doing wrong. i was so busy looking at the WHOLE top, and i should have been just watching the few inches in front of my needle. the spacing was much better than when i did it on a plain sheet!!! so, when any of you newbies are trying to echo - just worry about what's right near your needle & forget the big picture!!!!

post--13461905526475_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

That looks so awesome. Actually, Meg, I can do that one too! I'm so happy!!! Yours looks like a pro did it! So, now, what are you going to do with that puppy?

sylvia - i dont consider you a newbie....you are good girl. ;)

since its such a hot mess, i'm thinking of keeping it for myself.

I love the look of both front and back too. My question is how does one start to practice on a pattern like this. Do you go left to right acrosss the entire quilt or up and down some then to the right until you fill the whole area. I have not tried ANY e2e. I'm only comfortable with pantos at the present. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I love the look of both front and back too. My question is how does one start to practice on a pattern like this. Do you go left to right acrosss the entire quilt or up and down some then to the right until you fill the whole area. I have not tried ANY e2e. I'm only comfortable with pantos at the present. Thanks in advance for any advice.

(I don't know how to do quote thingy)

As Dar said above how do you do this I too would like to know and you did a wonderful job and if you don't want it I would be proud to have it.

Mary

Archived