Bricks and Stones Denim Shirtings Quilt

Hi all. I made this quilt for my son's class to raffle off in May for a trip they are going on.

It is made of men's denim shirts along with my favorite Kona black and a white/star cotton fabric. The backing is from a denim duvet cover. The pattern is from Bonnie Hunter Bricks and Stepping Stones. I just love her patterns!

I quilted it in an allover double/triple loop freehand design with Maxilock Swirls Denim colored thread on top and So Fine in the bobbin.

I had a lot of fun making this quilt...and hope to have it trimmed and bound this weekend. It should make a great stadium quilt! Thanks for looking. ;)

post--13461905640411_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Neher-in-law5

Would you be able to post a clear drawing of how you did the double loopy design? My brain isn't doing it's best functioning right now. Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't draw it as round and smooth as I can quilt it. I was hoping you could see it well enough in the black solid. If you can't figure it out...I can try to draw it.

I just start like I am doing a loop meander...but make a double loop and then swirl to the next double loop.

Thanks for the nice comments too! ;)

Cute quilt. I like the idea of recycling shirts and duvet covers, etc.

My mom and Grandma used to make most of their quilts out of clothes people had outgrown and they never used batting in their tied quilts, they always layered an old blanket in between. Those were the best quilts I've ever slept under. Nice and heavy. Of course, I always slept upstairs in our old two story house and it was colder than the dickens up there, so mom and Grandma's quilts were heavenly. Oh, that was such a nice trip down memory lane.:) Well, back to reality...

Thanks for sharing your denim quilt pictures. I really liked your swirls quilting, too!

Archived