Guest Linda S

Flannel does shrink a lot. I pre-wash absolutely everything. Fabric is processed with formaldehyde and lots of other chemicals. If you'd rather not have those things wafting up into your face while you're piecing and pressing, I'd recommend a pre-wash.

I never prewash anything, and like many things, this seems to come down to personal preference. I like working with new fabric, in the beginning I did prewash but quickly tired of it, it is not the washing of the fabric, but the ironing of it that put me off !!! LOL !!!:)

I often use a flannel on the back of quilts as they are cosier, and have not had a problem with washing and shrinkage at different rates, perhaps I have been lucky I don't know.

I never wash anything.......well, new clothing, but NO fabrics. C'mon girls! You saw pics of my stash!

I LOVE flannel and make a lot of flannel quilts. I use QD Green or QD Blend for batting and it does shrink some, but not bad.

Also, I have found that if I run my pins parallel, instead of perpendicular to my seams while piecing; it keeps the flannel from shifting. Just keep the pins in a little so they are away from the foot. When those rows start going together and get big try using your Machingers, or any quilting gloves. More control.

The first time I made something with flannel, I didn't wash it and what a mistake! I ended up having to throw it away.

And if you are using flannel from more than one manufacturer, they will be woven differently and will shrink at different rates.

I think you will regret it if you don't wash it first. Flannel is a different animal than regular cotton.

I pre-wash everything! Before I do, however, I "square up" the fabric by clipping the selvedge at both ends (not sides!) and tearing across. Then I clip the selvedges at an angle to prevent further fraying during the wash (and reminding me later that I have pre-washed it - I haven't always prewashed). Depending upon how big a piece I start with, I might tear off as much as a 6" strip on one end and then I will have enough for a 5" square, a 6" square, and strips measuring 2 1/2", 2", and 1 1/2" of every piece of fabric I buy. Be sure to wash the cut off pieces, too.

• 3 years later...

I made a simple quilt top using a Moda Layer Cake of flannel.  My borders, binding and backing are the same brand of flannel.  Talking with fellow quilters I am getting two feedbacks on the shrinkage issue.

One: quilt it, bind it, and then prewash in cold water, low heat - it should shrink at the same rate and be fine.

Two: stay stitch the edges (or serge) the top, wash it and then wash the backing and binding fabrics. Press and quilt.

Has anyone used the flannel layer cakes?  What would be your suggestion?  Also, it is a simple quilt (Double Sliced Layer Cake seen on Missouri Star Quilts) with no triangles.  How would you quilt it?  Curves or straight lines?  How densely should it be quilted and would the method of prewashing or not be a factor in the quilting?  I am still a very novice quilter. I could use the curvy panto that came with my Millie.  Not great at using them but my dad won't be critiquing this quilt.

Appreciate any advice.  I hope to pin it on Millie on Saturday night and start quilting on Sunday.

Thanks,

Jan 

I can't give direct advice about flannel shrinkage, but I think you should carefully choose the content of the batting when deciding on how to proceed.

Either pre-shrink it all, including cotton or cotton blend batting. Or pre-shrink it all except the batting, and then use poly batting, which won't shrink at all.

Or don't pre-shrink anything. Assemble, use cotton batting, quilt it, bind it, and then wash the whole thing. It's going to shrink quite a bit. But it'll be snuggly soft and I'm sure, well-loved.

Congrats on your new machine. You'll have a great time!

I don't prewash anything.  I've never had a problem.  In the "olden" days the flannel was cheap and would shrink obnoxiously as did most of the cotton fabrics you bought.  Now days the cotton is better fabric and so is the flannel.  Make sure you are using a quality fabric.  That doesn't necessarily mean quilt shop expensive, but know your fabrics.

Thanks.  I am going to try to quilt it and wash after binding. I started thinking if I only stay stitched the edges and only used a 1/4" seam allowance, would there be a problem with the seams fraying too much.  Better to quilt and then see how it goes.  The flannel feels good, not as nice as Maywood Studios who makes the softest plush flannels, but a good feel.  Fingers crossed.

Archived