Can't get the marks out!!!!! Update!

I used this marking tool on my last quilt. Lots of white in the quilt. Took forever to quilt out. Now the marks won't come out. The quilt is in it's 4th wash now with detergent and Oxiclean in hot water (went from cold to hot when it wouldn't come out). The green still shows. Any suggestions about how to remove the markings from white fabric?

post--13461906410065_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sylvia, I've heard these chalks made in China are very hard to get out, not my personal experience, just what I have been told. There are some which are made in Germany and those are supposed to come out but they look identical. Do you still have the information where yours came from, I would like to know for future reference.

Good luck getting the marks out, I don't have any tips for you, but feeling your pain!!!

Silvia, I had some special cleaner called Divi Seven, I think I got it at a hardware store, it's powerful but I wonder if you thinned it and brushed the areas if it might work. I used it on some antique linens and it worked great getting all the old rust spots out. It comes in a tube like toothpaste, maybe you can look it up on line and see if it might be something you could use. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!

I have the Bohin marker similar to this one, but haven't used any of the colors other than a light blue and orange. The orange didn't want to come out very easily. I had to rub it with a dry washcloth and then also wet it and rubbed. Also don't care for these because thye points get too fat and don't make a thin mark.

I feel your pain. These DO NOT come out. Don"t use Roxanne chalk pencil either that won't come out even with a power washer. The only thing I have found to work is from Universal sewing. I put up a link a couple of weeks ago.

I am hoping this is not a customer quilt

Melora

:( So sorry that happened. I hope you can remove the marks.

In general, keep in mind that you have to be really careful using any marking tools that are "color" like the green or blue or yellow. I have heard repeated horror stories when using these colored chalk markers. Many of these types of markers are for seamstress to mark under cloth or seam allowances, not on top of the fabric.

So, use tried and true markers that have been proven to remove from the top of the quilt. The blue water soluable or air soluable pink and purple markers. Or the white pens that come off with steam, or the white cheap school chalk. Or the very soft pastel chalk pencils (like Brunzeel). Before using anything with color, always test them out first.

PS: Sylvia, if I were you I would remove those markers from your quilting room. Or do like me: I have two separate drawers in my quilting room that separate my "permanent" markers form my "chalk, water and air" markers so I don't accidentally grab the wrong pen. It could happen!

Good idea Shana! Heidi, I just did the Dawn scrub along with some Mr. Clean erasers. It is now in the wash (6th time) and auto soak. If it doesn't come out (and I have decided it won't) I do have a solution that I hope saves the day. I am going to dry it after this wash. Then I am going to get out my colored pencils and collor the quilting lines in the quilt. I don't think it will take that long and I can use the colors in the quilt to select the pencils. This mistake may end up being ok. These markers are officially thrown away. (PS: it came out in all the areas except the white. What is stained is the thread)!

Did you try alcohol? That didn't sound right...LOL...have you tried rubbing alcohol on the stain? I used it for everything when I used to have to wear white nurses uniforms (oh that dated me didn't it?). You could going over it with the white chalk from this line of chalks and see if that would cover some of it. Just throwing some ideas at you. Good luck with it. Thanks for trying it out for us and letting us know it isn't good. :)

I have both kinds of alcohol and I am sure before I am done I will have tried both!!!! Horse paste it is!!! You know, somewhere I have the stuff mechanics wash their hands with. I used to use it on my son's baseball uniform and he'd be mad. It would get his uniform so white until it look like he sat the bench! I might try that as well. The quilt is looking really old now! I used Warm and White on bottom and Dream Puff on top. I also used 30s fabric so it is looking now like it was perhaps make in 31 or 32! Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sounds like that the marks have already been set. But I would try Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. We found ours at Cracker Barrel. I have also seen it in Hancock Fabrics. We use it all the time and it really works around the house. I was doing a quilt with a white background a while back and had just oiled the bobbin but failed to quilt on a test piece first. Guess what. The top few layers of the bobbin thread absorbed the oil. When I noticed it very shortly after putting it in, I stopped and pulled quite a few layers of the bobbin thread and went to the house to get Grandma's Spot Remover. Used it like the directions said and the spot was removed. I says it is good for oil, grease, paint, make-up, grass, clay, inks, blood, spaghetti sauce, coffee, rust, tar, fabric bleed, betadine, etc. It is biodegradable also. Might even remove your quilt off the frame. JUST KIDDING. Works for us.

Ah Sylvia, sorry the pen has given you grief. So frustrating when things like this happen. I once got some marks (not marking pen marks, just marks) out of a quilt by making a paste of lemon juice and bi carb soda and spreading on the stain and leaving for a while. Other than that best advice I can probably give is to try chocolate or wine. On yourself, not the quilt, if the marks are going to be stubborn you might as well feel good.

Good luck.

I have a set of the BOHN wax free chalks (made in Germany) and the back states

"Excellent fabric use, and washes out (do not use any cleaner). No wax. Natural Chalk only! This is important because our Natural Chalk will wash out completely without a trace (even after ironing). You can also use a fabric eraser (BOHN item 92148).

Other wax-based chalks however, leave residue or a grease stain, even after washing......"

I've only used the white and peach, with the rubber and had no problems.

Lyn

Archived