Can't get the marks out!!!!! Update!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wax, huh? Well that makes sense!!! In college we boiled the wax out of fabric. I think I'll just leave it alone. I still haven't ruled out the pencils. Darn it I was so careful with piecing and quilting cause I thought it might be a good whimsy quilt for our show. but I think it is too wrinkled for a show!

I should have thanked Dawn C! in the last Fons and Porter she showed butterflies and I used them on this quilt! Thanks Dawn!

I agree with trying the Grandmas Secret Spot Removal. A teacher had us use permanent markers to mark on plastic iron on in making Stained Glass Sweatshirts. I used red and sewing on the red line pushed the red into the fabric. Soap and water did not remove it but putting drops of Grandmas right on it and scrubbing the fabric together got it out. Try it on a small less obvious area first.

It's just wonderful, Sylvia, and quilted to death just like I like them. Love your flowers & curved crosshatching. You're making great use of all those 30's fabrics! I hope you'll put it in the quilt show anyway...last year at our show, the judges commented on some marking lines which hadn't come out of a quilt but it won a ribbon anyway. Your quilt is a treasure so share it with others! Nancy in Tucson

This is a very pretty quilt, and I doubt anyone will notice the faint green. Hair spray is supposed to take out a lot of stuff. Worked wonders on the ink pen my DH got on my leather car seat. Took it right out completely. For future refrence!

Sylvia, the quilting is great and it can be seen great on line. I bet it really looks super good in person. I don't see any green. Remember, we as the quilters/piecers see every mistake we make. Others have no idea what we did unless we point it out (I wonder why, we are compelled to voice our mistakes, lol).

I'm so sorry this happened - just saw the post.

The same thing happened with me with this tool - using the white on green fabric. Never did get it all out - even with Magic Eraser (which scrubbed part of the green off and left the fabric a tad frayed in spots...). Nothing perfectly cleaned it off, because the white had literally bleached out the green! Bummer. It's a XMas quilt...so I just hang it really high :)

You're quilt is very pretty! I can't see any markings.

Debbie in Austin

Sylvia,

Keep your chin up! A lot of expensive antique quilts still have graphite/pencil marks. Maybe one day your quilt will be worth thousands and thousands of dollars. Of course none of us will be around to see you enjoy all the money!

Just teasing you!

Love ya,

Sandra

Archived