Has any one read this Quilting Blog

I remember how I resisted using a sewing machine to quilt at all! My husband bought me a used Bernina to encourage me to pursue quilting. It was so tough on me physically to move a quilt thru the throat of a domestic. I virtually gave it up for a decade.

While assisting the judges at NC Symposium a couple of years ago, flipping the quilts, the quilting on one quilt was so exceptional that the judges (nationally known) debated as to whether it was computerized or not. The other assistant turned to me and whispered that the quilter was a friend of hers and she knew the answer...it was freehand on a domestic!

It takes different skills to move a quilt under the machine or to move the machine over the quilt. All techniques should be recognized and skills celebrated. Like many have said, they're just tools...it's the quilter that brings the skill...ask me how I know :-) and both take practice.

I'm just amazed at the creativity and skill I see every day in this world of quilting. Most of all, I love the acceptance and encouragement of the quilting community.

Anita

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember being ticked off when people would tell me that a quilt had to be hand-quilted or it was cheating. These were people who hadn't even threaded a needle in their life.

I was not offended by the snob remark. I just thought of all of the times that i had been put down for quilting on a machine at all. I didn't get the impression that her remarks were aimed toward longarmers at all. They were aimed at the snobs that have never quilted.

It sounds to me, that she was just pushed too far on people wanting her to buy a long arm, and putting up with it, for far too long a time. I can't say I blame her.

People who smoke, also get sick and tired of being told to stop, or being asked when they plan to stop. Kept me smoking long after I knew I should and would quit.

Same with picking out colors for quilts, and being told they should choose a different color way.

She may have alienated many, but are they being honest about what she said, or are they guilty of pushing her?

Two sides to each encounter, and telling.

RitaR

I just went back and read all of the comments that followed her blog. I noticed that most of the followers praised her and I did see several comments consisting of "long-arm snob". I would be offended but realize that the ones who probably say that do not know many long-armers and do not realize that what we do on our machines is just a valid as an art as what they do. We just do it differently and use different tools. I am proud to say that I am a professional long armer and love what I do. I spend just as much time working on improving my profession/craft and feel blessed to have my machine and plenty of people who want me to quilt for them. In my opinion, my tools make it easier to get results and I enjoy the process.

There! That's my viewpoint of which we are all entitled to.....

I found her blog post yesterday quite by accident. I follow her blog but don't read it regularly. That title did catch my eye and I skimmed it, looked at the pictures, and went on my merry way not thinking anything about it.

Now if you really want to rage war in the quilting world, put up a hand quilter and a computerized system and see who loses more hair. I am thankful we live in a world and a country where I have the freedom to buy what suits me and it's not up to some bureaucrat to say what is best or to say I can't.

I am also thankful and blessed to be able to afford what I have. I also have admiration for those who use whatever they have in the most creative ways...not letting it sit in a basement or a garage gathering dust and rust. I am thankful for those talented people who share what they do so well.

Snob arena??? I resent the statement that computerized systems are so easy..."all you have to do is push a button and the machine does the quilting". Don't let me start here...

Thank you for allowing me to state my opinion...my two cents...off the soapbox now...

WOW

This thread contains all the ingredients for so much discussion. Snob long armers, machine quilting vs hand, domestic work, computers, economic status in general, earning money for sewing/quilting, supporting a hobby, the function and use of tools, I could go on and on. And everyone should think of these things occasionally, but in my humble opinion, not obsess...

I started sewing long ago as a way to have clothes that fit (5' 6", 86 lbs at 11!!) for very little money. I bought an old machine with babysitting money. What my friends now don't know is the history of my tools. I made things for others, earned the money, and bought a better tool. Over and over, this is how I managed to get to my current level of machines. I buy what is a good tool for me, my Bernina, my serger, my long arm, my cutting and storage options. All are tools that work for me.

I love what Shanna said. I thought of some of the really terrific DSM quilters out there, they do really inspired quilting .

I have lately noticed some stress in my life that comes from sources I wouldn't have thought of. I suppose it comes being of retirement age. Some friends moan and groan about money in general, having a set of nice machines is a red flag to them. They don't take into account the hours of work at home/dec, or bridal alterations , they just see $$. I now "work" from home, they go to a job during the day, and yet one of my friends of course had to say after seeing one of the quilts I had done on my Milli, " some of us have to go to work"

I often think the world could be so nice if people didn't rush to judge...... I know I love seeing a well crafted object, whether a piece of furniture, a basket, or indeed a quilt. How the artist got there, what tools were used, or even indeed his/her motivations were isn't as important as the feeling of pleasure of seeing the wholeness of its being, the "perfect" ness of it.

The blog about not needing a long arm machine, that's not really the issue for this person.

I'm happy to see so many of the quilters on this forum see their machines as tools to use to get to that "ah ha" moment in their personal expressions in quilts. What tool you use is only what is best for you at a particular time, being open to change and different options is healthy.

Be Happy, and especially , be happy with your wonderful tools! :D Pat

All good points. I don't like the general "longarm snobs" reference but girls and guys I have to honestly admit that I've met more then one "longarm snob" in my guild/travels. Especially, if you don't have the "right brand" of long arm or

are their "competition. I also get the your longarm is computerized, so you're not really a longarmer from some of those "snobs". Hopefully, our group can help to get rid of that impression, I know everyone on here is helpful, courtious, friendly and most of all professional.

I have never posted anything here before, but have to now. I read this every day, and have learned a lot from the beautiful people that are here. I also used DSM for a long time and did very few quilts because of pain. Now I am the proud owner of a Tin Lizzie because that was what I could afford no whistles no bells but love to quilt, and feel as though I understand where she is coming from because I have received flake for not buying a better more costly machine. I'm just thrilled to have what I have. And again thank all of you for the lessons you have given me.

Originally posted by RitaR

It sounds to me, that she was just pushed too far on people wanting her to buy a long arm, and putting up with it, for far too long a time. I can't say I blame her.

People who smoke, also get sick and tired of being told to stop, or being asked when they plan to stop. Kept me smoking long after I knew I should and would quit.

Same with picking out colors for quilts, and being told they should choose a different color way.

She may have alienated many, but are they being honest about what she said, or are they guilty of pushing her?

Two sides to each encounter, and telling.

RitaR

Here it is Rita.

I began quilting all by hand.

Then tried my home machine.

Then fell in love with the Millie!

Each to their own. We all are talented and should use the tools that work best for us.

I would have to live to 400 to get all my projects done if I had kept hand quilting. Life is just too short! I hope there is quilting in the next life!

I'm smiling with everhyone on this one! Laughter is the best medicine!

I quilt for the joy of creating and playing with color. I enjoy contact other quilters who quilt for that reason too, and I don't really care what equipment they use to achieve it. Life is about creation not competition. I learned long ago that if you are always concerned about who is RIGHT you will never be HAPPY.

I think the major thing to remember here is, she's most likely not talking about any of us when she talks about snobbery in machine choice or method. Have any of you written to her insisting that she buy a longarm? Have any of you written that she absolutely needs to buy an APQS? I think most of us have come to understand, over the years, that just because we realize our machines are superior to every one else's ;) (just kidding, sort of!), what fits us in both comfort with the machine and with support from the company is not necessarily what will fit the next quilter. Also, some folks prefer to sit down instead of stand up. I have the best of both worlds, as I generally sit with my stand-up machine! :P I actually think that Leah might be a serious threat if she got a longarm and learned to use it. Heck, she already IS one -- what an incredibly talented lady, not to mention giving and sharing. I think she just doesn't like being told what to do, and I'm with her on that all the way. Generally, if you tell me to do one thing, I'll do the complete opposite. It's the stubborn German in me (or is it the stubborn Russian, Slovak, or Transylvanian?) :D I like that she posted about that. It makes us think -- why does everyone need to do things our way? Don't we strive, after all, to be unique in some way?

Oh Gosh I did not expect so many replies.

I just wanted to add that I was not offended by Leah's blog. I did think some of the replies on her blog where a little dare I say it snobbish against our Longarms :D

I would have loved to be able to quilt on my DSM, but no amount of practice helped, just could not get the co-ordination that is needed.

I truly respect anyone who can free motion on a DSM. I have some of Patsy Thompson DVD's. Her DSM feathers are amazing.

Quilting on a DSM , Longarm, Computerised long arm all require skill, in one form or another. They all have their learning curve. We should all respect each others choices.

( Which I know all our APQS family do )

Happy quilting everyone, whichever way you choose to do it !!!

;)

You know Kathy I'm surprised at how many responses too and I think really what struck a cord was not the fact that she posted very good reasons why a longarm is not for her but that she put everybody in the same pot and made it sound like "all" longarmers were snobs. I love and admire Leah's work, in fact I just got her newest book and it is a great resource and I would recommend it. Sometimes when your frustrated with something you generalize too much. I'm sure she doesn't think we're all snobs because we have a longarm, but the impression from her blog is that we are. I'm still not going to take it like that. I'm just going to use this as a reminder to myself to try to look at a situation from more than one side.

If she were to get a longarm, not all of her HUGE skill level would transfer over quickly. She would be stepping back a few levels. Sure, with practice I'm sure she could easily be just as great on a longarm, but in the mean time, would DSM quilters abandon her for going 'to the other side'?

Now...just because I'm snarky sometimes....Since she has no desire to go into the LA realm, why does she do patterns for the computerised side of them? Unless they have a use for the DSM that I'm missing.

I did a lot of quilting on my DSM before getting a longarm. Its hard, and I admire anyone who can do it well. Its hard to not get pleats in the backing, hard on your back and shoulders...its just hard!

People get to say things anonymously on the internet that they would never say to someone on a one-on-one basis. That said, I have never heard a longarm quilter belittle a DSM quilter. Most of us know the skill and dedication machine quilting takes, and have nothing but admiration for anyone who can accomplish beautiful quilting on the DSM...ala Harriet Hargrave, Ricky Timms, and Diane Gaudynski.

After doing several large quilts on the DSM, I knew I was never going to be able to achieve the level of skill I wanted given the limitations of the DSM...and my personal limitations using it.

I think the blog is kinda ugly, and the responses are even uglier.

This topic has parallels in the wood working crafts. Some craftsmen would use only hand tools while others would only use power tools. Lots of great work produced both ways. Each has his/her own reason for choosing their method. A lot of folks are convinced their way is the only way. Not so! I could never understand why one would insist on doing something by hand that could be done so much easier by a power machine. But that's just my view, and some things are done easier by hand than by power machine. Sewing is much the same. I chose to quilt by longarm because it seemed like the east labor intensive way to get the job done. I bought the machine I did (actually a succession of machines until I felt satisfied with the capabilities of the machine) because it was what I felt I needed to do what I wanted to do. This one might not be the last.

There are folks in both worlds (wood and cloth) who would disagree with me. That's O.K. I don't have to do things like they want, and they don't have to do things like me. What I decide to spend for tools for my hobby/vocation is up to me. What they spend on theirs is up to them. If they like, they can be snobs, or for that matter call me a snob. It doesn't matter. I'm sure our views of art would differ. That doesn't matter either. There is certainly enough room in the craft for different approaches and different skills. It's part of what makes it fun. I particularly like making and modifying tools to do a job for me, but that's just me. You don't have to do it, you don't even have to approve of me doing it. There's room for us all. Just MHO. Jim

Originally posted by shellyf

Now...just because I'm snarky sometimes....Since she has no desire to go into the LA realm, why does she do patterns for the computerised side of them? Unless they have a use for the DSM that I'm missing.

I guess I missed those patterns - where did you see them? Thanks!

I don't know about Intelligent Design's file types, but I do know that one of the things my bernina dealer was pushing when trying to sell me the embroidery module was the ability to quilt small squares inside the hoop using embroidery files that I could, in theory, make up or download from somewhere. *Perhaps* that's where it comes from?

Archived