RRCB mystery...how did you quilt it? Full Picture added

Hi Kristina,

I would put a nice panto on it, your piecing is beautiful but I think custom would be wasted because of all the colours, particularly when the back is pieced as well,.

Perhaps a panto in the main part and sid the pink border and do an undulating vine or feather in there and on the outer border if you really need to do something special.

Have fun.

Congratulations! Soooo much work....and just in time for the next mystery! I quilted mine with an all-over freehand design, and it suits it just fine......I don't really think that there is a case for doing this one custom, just too many pieces, IMHO.

I think the design i chose was called topography and is maybe one of Shannon "doodlebug"s concoctions???? It was fun and looks great on this quilt.

OK I'm going to come up with a custom for you. You could just do a freehand all over meander or stipple in the background (your right it really won't show the quilting) to push it back and that will make those blocks really pop. Treat all the background the same with a tight stipple and then the colors in the blocks will really pop. You did so much work in the piecing you should make it shine. A panto of course would work but I think you can do some simple custom and make it really work.

I love that quilt - your choice of scraps was great. I really think the B&W "background" really sets off the colored scraps.

As for quilting, deciding on a design isn't my strong suit, but I really like Heidi's idea of the background fill in the black and white fabrics. This one deserves something a little special!

I added a picture of the full shot of the quilt. the wind was blowing but I think you get the jist of it. I love how it turned out. I like heidi's suggestion of tight fill in the string blocks and a design in the pieced blocks...also like the suggestion of an overall. I hope to quilt it this week.

Thanks victoria for the compliment...I have learned one thing...I generally add black/white to mystery quilts...you just can't go wrong.

Just went back and relooked at the picture. The balck and white blocks are sqaures so why not do a free hand feather wreath in them, The that leaves the colour blocks for doingmaybe different cc's or Terry twists and experementing with differnt ways to fille them up.

Or you could do an overll star in the coloured blocks with CC's and make them the stars!!! I am sure there would be a path in them somewhere.

Then the border cold be a feathered spiral over all of them.

thanks everyone. i decided to go with an overall since this will be a bed quilt. i love the ideas suggested...but i think an overall is best. something from the front so i can miss those bulky seams. it goes on the frame this week.

jeanne...have you picked fabrics for the orca bay mystery? i am going with black/white/brown and pink. my favorite blouse inspired my color choices. go figure! i can't wait to get started.

I am working on piecing my second rrcb...totally different colors. The blocks are going together nicely. I have changed it just a bit...so I think I can custom quilt it. It shouldn't look quite so busy. I am hoping to have it finished within the next week or so. Not doing the border on this one. I like libbys idea of doing a spiro in the string blocks. Also, tt or cc in the main block.

Archived