What do you love to piece with?

I have an old hand me down Kenmore.

The foot peddle heats up pretty quick like it is being taxed with very little use. So I am considering what it is I may upgrade to.

Looking for what your favorites have been.

Considering an industrial type for low maintenance and I know it would be a work horse. But I like the idea of getting a knee lift bar. What features do you love? Any machines you really don't like? Any brands that you've used that are industrial and could suggest?

Thanks, Keri

Well, everyone loves their machines, so you will get lots of comments. Personally, I love my Bernina 153. I have had her for nearly 10 years. I ride her hard and put her away wet. She's a workhorse. Never fails me. Easy to maintain. Doesn't give me a lick of trouble. Super user friendly.

On ebay, you can buy a very nice USED Bernina for between $500 and $1000 that has the walking foot, 1/4" foot and also the needle lift mechanism. I've bought a couple used Berninas on ebay and they are practically brand new!

I'll add that if you are interested, I'd be happy to scout these out on ebay for you. Let me know.

I use three sewing machines on a regular basis, a Pfaff 2054 (upgraded to a 2056), a Bernina 630, and an Elna 7100 that I bought on Ebay new. My favorite of the three would have to be the Elna 7100 for its power to zip through some really thick seams, like those you get when doing kaleidoscope quilts, and not shifting to the side when doing so.

The Elna 7100 is made the same as the $1200 Pfaff Grand Quilter that I used to use to piece with and use on a frame. I sold it with my frame. Such a mistake! So I bought a cheaper model, the Elna 7100, on Ebay for $649 with free shipping. (If you call and order over the phone it is only $629.) It doesn't have all the goodies that the PGQ has, but I don't need them as I only piece with the machine and have it in a Sew Ezi table.

The Elna 7100 is similar to the Jukis that gals use on frames and use for piecing. It is a straight-stitch only machine, has a thread cutter (love this feature!), and speed control slider. Makes a really accurate 1/4 in seam and has a seam guide, too. I just love this machine for piecing.

For regular sewing I prefer the Bernina. And for sewing on bindings, I gotta go with the Pfaff 2054 with its IDET.

I use two Berninas - my old 153 QE and my 440 QE

They're both work horses. I carry the 153 to group quilting every week with no problems - it even stays in my car during the week. I do let it warm up before I use it when the temps have been low - like today with a high of 25. :-)

I have a Janome 6600p that I absolutely love. It has the the accu feed foot that is wonderful. I can put stripes or plaid through and they match perfectly. It has a knee lift and a good sized extension table. I use it every day.

I had the Viking Topaz 30 which was much more expensive (it had an embroidery unit) but I wasn't crazy about it.

Guest Linda S

I'm with Shana - I have a Bernina 153. Nothing sews like a Bernina . . .nothing! Of course, I have a featherweight that I bought to take to retreats, but it's a little fussier with threads.

I use Pfaffs. I have loved my 7530, never had any problems with it, my 7560 is at my daughters, my 2140 upgraded to a 2170 is still working great and just got the Creative Sensation. Mine piece great, I've made all the wedding dresses for my 3 soon to be 4 daughters with them, as well as mend jeans with them. The dual feed is something that I wouldn't ever go without. It is not in views way, helps move the piecing through together. I have quilted on them with great success. Can you tell I like them? Good luck in your search.

Let's see, I love my Bernina 440 QE which is a work horse there isn't anything it won't sew. I also have a Brother Quattro which keeps up with the Bernina fine. For the price you can't beat a Kenmore either which is made by Janome.

The Kenmores are hard to kill, ask me how I know. Now for the machine that I hate with a passion, the Bernina 820 (new one). I bought it because of the throat space and since I loved my 440 I thought the 820 would be even better. I'm not sure if I got a lemon but I've had nothing but problems with it. The bobbin is forever jamming and it doesn't like thick seams.

I use the Pfaff Grandquilter Hobby 1200 which comes with a kneelift, extension table, screw on fabric guide, darning plate and other great feet and features . It has accurate seam markings on the feed dog plate. It does use the HLX5 needle.

I have used an older Brother machine but the extra throat space on the Pfaff is very helpful for piecing and stitching binding.

I have found less goes wrong with the Pfaff since it doesn't have the computer display and multiple stitch options.

Archived