What's up with the "block swap"

Mine are done and in Shannon's hands!

Shannon, I sent a little something for you the other day as a "thank you." You should be getting it soon. I started following your blog and I can't wait for some free time to get started on your 2012 BOM. Wish I hadn't missed out on last year's BOM -- it looked like fun to piece. This year's doesn't look a disappointing either!

Bummer I have to bail out....some of my blocks are off by 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch in certain spots......think I need to perfect my 1/4 inch seam and ironing!!! :(

No worries, I will trim down to 12.5 and have 12 inch blocks finished instead.

Originally posted by Parm

Bummer I have to bail out....some of my blocks are off by 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch in certain spots......think I need to perfect my 1/4 inch seam and ironing!!! :(

No worries, I will trim down to 12.5 and have 12 inch blocks finished instead.

Wow...hun, if that's all, I think you'd be ok.

I wonder how many of us will have some blocks that are not exactly 13" when finished. I didnt even measure yet.

I personally think eveyone's 1/4" foot is manufactured differently, and there IS a chance we can be that 1/8" off.

Shannon, what's your take on this hun? And, those that have finished, have you measured to ensure they are all 13" unfinished?

Shannon, what's your take on this hun? And, those that have finished, have you measured to ensure they are all 13" unfinished?

i'm okay with 1/32 to 1/16 off cause that can easily be compensated in the finished quilt. if there is 1/4 inch or more difference that's when i get a little concerned.

when i get someone's squishy, i pull out a random block and measure. so far, sew good :)

the one thing that is a big concern for me is that most (not all) of the ones i've received so far are not following the directions about folding the finished blocks. i ask for that to be done cause it helps ME when i swap all the blocks. it saves me time cause it makes it easier for me to count, stack, and put the swapped blocks back into the SASEes....think about it- i have to content with 600+ loose blocks. taking the time to fold them as asked makes the swap procedure SO much faster and easier on me...

and to be honest- it makes me second guess about hosting another...

I dont blame you Shannon.

This is a HUGE undertaking. For those that have not coordinated BIG things like this, it really can be a hassle..as well as a demand on your extra time.

I think it was AWSOME of Shannon to put ALL the specifics into the instruction pages she made. ALL was laid out 100% on the table, THATS why I joined in on this swap.

The last one I was in, was not 100%. I got blocks with printed white on white...etc. and it really made me think twice about joining another.

After reading Shannon's instructions, I felt I couldn't go wrong. It was 100% complete with ALL instructions, questions that would be asked, etc.

Shannon, I BOW down to you oh mighty swap queen! You did what most wouldn't venture out to do!

This was my first ever endeavor and I was amazed at how well Shannon had all the instructions laid out so plain and simple. Her requests for sending, pressing, postage and all were not difficult to follow, I thoroughly enjoyed this and hope Shannon will consider another one at some point in time,...cause you can bet I will be a willing participant...Thanks

The only problem I see...March 31 is still a LLLLOOOONNNGGG way off. That is ok though...i need time to practice using Miz Marti, a whole new game longarming, but am having a wonderful time.^_^

I got about 20 done and got maybe 9 or 10 to go. As you ALL know, I trimmed the first batch of blocks to 12 1/2". I did have them folded and named on each though. Mailed them too. Thanks for sending them back, Shannon. I will finish it for a silent auction the Humane society will be doing in May.

So I am on my second batch of blocks and being very careful that they are 13 inches. I have cut them a tad bigger because I think my 1/4 foot is a tad bigger when sewing. My blocks are coming out 13 inches and I am trimming just the threads off. I will double check all the blocks before I send them to make sure they are good. Shucks, shipping just went up too.

Archived