Almost a Disaster.......

I totally feel for you but am so glad that you have been able to salvage the quilt - total nightmare. I recently had this happen but with a load of good white golf shirts - something got in the mix that I didn't see. After multiple washings, color catchers and a bleach substitue was finally able to make things right, but the waiting with each wash is awful - I went through a whole box of color catchers on that one. I normally prewash my quilt fabrics but always get very nervous with jelly rolls - can't prewash those.

Thanks for sharing and reminding us how important pre-care of our quilts is.

One story - I think from Marilyn Badger - she and her partner had made a quilt, it ran and totally changed the backing of the quilt. If I remember right, the new color on the back wasn't bad so they incorporated crystals on the back and made it a 2-sided quilt. Pretty creative if you ask me.

I'm so glad that you were able to save the quilt! And it was sort of a blessing in disguise because you're right, had it happened to the kids they likely would not have know what to do. Then they would have been distraught over ruining the beautiful gift you made them.

• 11 months later...

I just finished quilting a customer quilt. I used chalk to mark in the very dark fabrics. I was able to just use a dry washcloth to wipe off the chalk. However...at some point two dark purple blocks bled onto the white blocks next to them. The bleed is about a quarter of an inch wide,,on just one side of the block. Suggestions to remove? I don't know how I did it..but I know I did it...because it bled through to the back. It's a runner...and just about dead center. Suggestions? Thanks jane

Contact your client and explain what happened. Explain how it can be remedied. Synthropol and Color catchers and soak and rinse. Don't heat it or dry it until Color has been removed. Had a similar problem and I soaked it for client as she didn't have anything to do it and she was leaving town right after picking it up and binding it and giving it while on the trip. All I did was spritz it with water to remove marks like normal. Took 3 soaks. Since it wasn't bound I had stitched all around edges and just soaked it in the washer and spun it. Filled with clean water and spun it to rinse. Lay it flat to dry. Didn't even fray.

Just talk to client and explain it would have done it the first time it was washed or spilled upon. So at least she will know what to do. I have found we are harder on ourselves than our clients are. Hope this helps.

Shirley

I could feel your stress just reading your post, and so glad it all worked out okay. I need to supply myself with Synthrapol, I do use the color catchers and so far they have worked. I have a front loader washer and I can put it on pause and add to the wash. I am not sure my customers pre wash their fabrics, I should really pass this on to them about washing their quilts. 

Jane:  I don't have a suggestion for your question, and I believe that other members are responding to the original post and not your request for help.  Perhaps you could ask for help with your purple fabric bleeding in a new post? This way it won't be overlooked.  I sure hope you get a quick answer - I'm sure this is distressing to you.

I just finished quilting a customer quilt. I used chalk to mark in the very dark fabrics. I was able to just use a dry washcloth to wipe off the chalk. However...at some point two dark purple blocks bled onto the white blocks next to them. The bleed is about a quarter of an inch wide,,on just one side of the block. Suggestions to remove? I don't know how I did it..but I know I did it...because it bled through to the back. It's a runner...and just about dead center. Suggestions? Thanks jane

I would soak it in synthrapol.  It will be the only way you will get the excess dye out.  I'd call my customer first and let her know what happened and what you'd propose to fix it.  

Contact your client and explain what happened. Explain how it can be remedied. Synthropol and Color catchers and soak and rinse. Don't heat it or dry it until Color has been removed. Had a similar problem and I soaked it for client as she didn't have anything to do it and she was leaving town right after picking it up and binding it and giving it while on the trip. All I did was spritz it with water to remove marks like normal. Took 3 soaks. Since it wasn't bound I had stitched all around edges and just soaked it in the washer and spun it. Filled with clean water and spun it to rinse. Lay it flat to dry. Didn't even fray.

Just talk to client and explain it would have done it the first time it was washed or spilled upon. So at least she will know what to do. I have found we are harder on ourselves than our clients are. Hope this helps.

Shirley

thanks Shirley, I planned to talk with her--I have five of her big quilts right now--but I did want a plan in hand!  You're so right--if she used it this would have happened anyway!  I feel much better.  Get so tied in knots over actually little things--altho we blow them way out of proportion, that doing anything becomes difficult!  thanks again!  Jane

Here is another trick you could have tried....I used to restore old linens and often the embroidery floss dyes would run in storage, so I would hand wash (hard to do with a quilt) in buttermilk and sun dry them.  The buttermilk has natural dye seeking abilities and will pull the dye from cream and white backgrounds.  If it was a larger piece of linen, I would just pour the buttermilk on and let it sit for a while.  I still use buttermilk washes to get white blouses white again.

Archived