Almost a Disaster.......

I have had a very stressful experience this week and I'm going to share it with all of you in hopes that it will prevent others from going through the same thing.

In December I posted pictures of a quilt that I had been working on for almost 2 years called Roses In Bloom, that I made for my son and DIL. My longarm guild convinced me that I needed to show this quilt and they encouraged me to enter it in the MQS Show in May. My son and DIL happily agreed to let me show it before delivering it to them in Dallas Texas.

So I have been busy going over the quilt, making sure that all the jump stitches are trimmed, making a hanging sleeve and label and all that good stuff. After reading several articles in the latest On Track magazine about preparing your quilts for shows, I decided to try a suggestion by an award-winning quilter. She said that she always soaks her quilts in cold water in her washing machine for about 1/2 hour, then gently spins them out, dries them for approx. 5 minutes, then lays the quilt out on the floor to block them. She said that not only do the quilts hang really nice and flat, but it really enhances the look of the stitching in the quilting. So I decided to try this............lesson #1, don't try something like this at 8:00 pm on a Sunday evening..............my quilt is all batiks (and no, there were not pre-washed......).

When I pulled my quilt out of the washer, I almost had a heart attack! :(:( The orange and blue dyes had bled in big blotches and runs all over the creamy appliqued blocks! Lesson #2.....never get a new quilt wet for the first time without having Color Catchers and Synthrapol on hand. Here I was about 8:30 pm on a Sunday night with nothing on hand to deal with this disaster! I have been sewing and quilting with batik fabrics for years and have never had a problem with color bleeding..........until now. We live in a small town and there was no stores open at this time of night so I didn't know what to do, but I was devastated. I did not put it in the dryer in hopes of not setting the bleeding into the fabric. I draped the quilt over my washer and dryer.

After work on Monday, I headed into Rochester and bought Synthrapol, Retayne, Color Run Remover and two boxes of Shout Color Catchers. As soon as I got home, I put a dozen color catchers in the bottom of my washing machine and then put the quilt back in and ran it through a whole cycle with cold water. It didn't help at all. Now I was really feeling devastated and not sure which way to turn.

I was really scared to use any of the other products that I had bought because they all said to use either hot or very warm water and I felt panic just thinking about how much more the colors could bleed by doing that.............so I kept talking to other quilters and then finally spent some serious time searching and reading on the internet and here's what I did last evening.

I put 8 Color Catcher Sheets in bottom of my washer, the put my quilt in and started the wash cycle using warm water. I mixed up 2 tsp. of the Synthrapol in 2 cups of very hot water and then added that to my washing machine when it was just about full. Then I shut the cover of the washer and prayed. I was almost afraid to look when it was done (I had it do a second rinse cycle too.) As I pulled my quilt out, I could see right away that it had definitely helped, but still had a ways to go. I pulled out all the Color Catcher Sheets and they were just about black. So I put 8 more sheets in, then ran the whole cycle one more time and when I pulled it out, it was beautiful once again!

There are 4 or 5 small blotches on the cream blocks, so I will try using the Color Run Remover with a q-tip to remove those stains tonight.

Boy has this been a tough week for lessons learned. I will always make sure that I have these items on hand before I get a new quilt wet, but more importantly, I will re-think my ideas about pre-washing my fabrics, especially dark or bright colors.

I think I aged about 10 years in the past few days, but I am so thankful that this happened to me and not to my son and DIL because they wouldn't have had a clue what to do and would have felt devastated, thinking it was their fault that the quilt I had made them got ruined.

Sorry this is so long..........I'm just hoping that I can prevent someone else from going through this nightmare. I can't begin to tell you how many prayers I prayed, asking for guidance to make the right decisions and once again, my prayers were answered! :):)

OMG. I can't even imagine the sick feeling you must have had when you pulled that out of the washer. How heartbroken you must have felt. I'm glad it is getting better. Hopefully you will get it all out. Sorry for your hard lesson.

Note to self: always wash fabrics 1st if the quilt will ever be washed again

Peggy

OMGosh you poor thing! I'm so sorry this happened to you! I can't imagine having that happen to such a beautiful quilt. I'm glad you are on your way to getting the bleeding out. There's only been two quilts that I haven't prewashed the fabrics, both whack and stacks. It's a lot of work to wash and iron but your scare makes me think I'm gonna keep prewashing!

Keep us posted, and also the show results.

How scary for you. Do you have a top loading or a front loading machine? My husband washed one of my quilts (the last one I have that I had hand quilted) and forgot to take it out of the washer. I found it a couple of days later. The red ran all over the cream. After I got over being devastated I put it back into the washer and added a small amount of bleach (I do NOT suggest this) and re-washed it. It came out beautiful. The quilt was over 20 years old and had been washed plenty of times before so I knew it wasn't just colors running. It wasn't scary for nearly as long as yours was. I feel you pain. I'm glad it came out ok. That is a good reminder to put it in the washing instructions in quilts I make with batik and give away. I do NOT make show quilts...I make quilts to use. I do NOT pre-wash any fabric. I would probably quit making quilts if I had to go through all that first. In 35 years of making quilts I haven't had any disasters. They all do fine. I always tell the recipients to "machine wash with cold water, remove immediately and machine dry on low".

Marilyn, what a nightmare for you. I am so glad you have been able to get the bleeding out.

I normally don't pre wash, but after reading this and following a thread on another forum about to wash or not I might just have to rethink how I do things.

I know I need to restock on synthrapol and colour catchers.

This very thing happened to me what now seems like a zillion years ago....I did a red and white pinwheel of white tone on tones and Jenny Beyer red. A new product had just hit the market a few weeks before...called Color Catchers, the terry towel product that was the predecessor to our present day Color Catchers. Same thing hadn't washed fabrics and needed it delivered to the fair grounds the next day. I sat on my laundry floor bawling. Picked myself up off the floor and headed to the laundrymat by way of the store picked up everything at the market I could and at last resort and several boxes of Color Catchers.

I too had to wash several time but finally was able to get it all out. Took second place in the bed covering catagory of the 1999 Nevada State Fair.

To this day when this quilt is washed color guards go into wash and even today they are blood red when taken out but all is grand.

It's a hard lesson to learn, and I so feel your pain, and am glad it turned out okay. And here is to your ribbon you will bring home in the end.

I always wash my fabrics. I started it a long time ago and can't stop because I'd be making quilts with some washed and some unwashed fabric. That seems like a real disaster. But I've found that some material still runs whether you wash it or don't wash it. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm so happy to know you rescued your quilt. Color Catchers sure help.

I had quit washing a lot of my fabrics the past few years.....I just thought that fabric was better, dyes were better, and add a dash of lazy to the mix too.

However, I had a bad experience with a Quilt of Valor a few months ago. The top was sent to me for long arm quilting, and before sending to the designated destination, we are asked to wash the quilts. Well, the blues and reds in the quilt ran onto the white fabrics. Like yourself, I washed and washed, I used Biz which really helped, and almost a whole box of Color Catchers. I was able to salvage it.

Then I started thinking about my own habit of not washing fabrics anymore---how I had gotten away from doing that, and what if---So, now I've gone back to washing everything with the exception of some light neutrals.

I have been totally surprised at how many of the fabrics I would have used in future projects were loaded with dyes! I'm going through all my fabrics a bit at a time and washing them. Some of the more expensive well known brands that I thought would not release dyes are surprisingly some of the worst and are bleeding quite a bit.

Marilyn,

I always prewash my batiks in Synthrapol. I have not had any problems with the colors running once I do this step. I have even done this whole bolts of batik fabrics.

I am heading to MQS, so I will have to look for you quilt. Will you be there? If you are, I hope to see you again. Met you for the first time in Milwaukee last August.

Thank you, everyone.

Oma, I have a top loading washer so I was able to add the Synthrapol after most of the water was in the tub. I don't know how you would do it with a front loading machine.............

This is just a good lesson to me to stop being so lazy and at least pre-wash my dark batiks in the future. Now I can no longer say that I have never had a problem with batiks bleeding............:o

Sharon, yes, I will be attending MQS for the very first time! :D:D:D I wasn't sure that I could go since May is such a busy time of year, but my husband told me that there was no way that one of my quilts could be hanging in a show and not go, so I gladly agreed with him! :) o2b Quilting (Lucy) and I will be going together. Hope to see you there!

Wow!! I am so glad that it all worked out for you. Good idea to have that stuff on hand....

I always prewash too, mainly because I do not like the smell of most fabrics. I think I better get some of those color catchers!

Isn't there something about putting salt into a load of towels or something such to help set the colors? I can't remember for sure.

Marilyn,

I'm so glad you finally got it out. What stress that must have been. Pre-washing is always a good idea especially when it is dark or bright fabric with a light fabric. You just never know. I soak my quilts in the bathtub. That gives it lots of water to soak in and I can keep a close eye on it. I always keep Synthrapol handy. I have a quick Eleanor BAQ that I made many years ago. The red was treated multiple times, prewashed and it still bleeds. I know now when I wash it not to let it lay wet on wet for long. I don't think I'll ever get it to stop bleeding. The kicker, it was hand quilted!

Marilyn: I so remember the pain you have experienced, it made me sick for several days, hope you are doing better now.

29 years ago I made a hand appliqued , hand quilted quilt for a customer. It had little navy birds in a border of startling white background, hand quilted in 1/4" crosshatching. Well, one of the navy colors ran, produced a perfect reversed bird on the back (all white...) I embroidered and made it into a label....BUT lesson learned. ....

I wash all fabrics, and go the extra step to note whether the color ever stopped running by using the color of the catchers to go by. ( I used to use white flannel piece before color catchers!) If it won't stop, I won't use it in a quilt:o I only make quilts for people to use... As a side benefit, I don't have any "fix" chemicals in my stash leaching into the air I breathe for many hours a day, everything is preshrunk, and because I iron it nice, it's almost ready to go (depending on how long it sits in the stash!!) Also, some pieces are lighter or a slightly different color after washing, so I sometimes have a better idea of the finished color.

Painless washing for me is done when I'm too tired to do anything else, I pick similar colors, synthopol if needed, color catcher, wash, 2 rinses, and then iron during my favorite TV shows sitting down....Keep up with purchases as best as can. Sounds like a lot of work, but becomes a routine...AND makes me double think purchases!!

Lucy, I give a box or two of color catchers, and explain a little about fabric, dyes, and leaving wet quilts sitting...Then it's up to the owner. Happy quilting, Pat

Archived