Baby quilt....first try

Dyan, make sure you do NOT use the preview, it will delete the picture.

That quilt is so cute. Is it appliqued or a cheater, like I've used many times?? I mean the preprinted panel. I love the way it looks on the back, too. Great choice of design and pattern.

RitaR

Nancy....Thank you! I just saw a pic of this quilt in a book somewhere and decided to draw it myself. The black lines are just heavy zigzag. I guess I decided on the silky material because I always loved silky material when I was little. Maybe that gave me my love of material! :)

Great looking little quilt. My husband always tries to get me to use the wide satin binding on my baby quilts and I tell him no...it doesn't go with the cotton. I could be wrong. LOL. He must remember his baby quilt having that edging. All of the purchased baby quilts used to have it years ago. I did use it on a fleece quilt I made for one of the grandbabies a few years back. Come to think of it, she always went to sleep rubbing it between her fingers. Hmmm...it could make a comeback. You may have started a trend. LOL.

As far as using "just something you had in your stash", isn't it wonderful not knowing that it "might" be problematic. You just fearlessly sew away and it's beautiful. I love that! It's wonderful!

I have a story to tell about wide satin binding. My grandson had a baby quilt that he dearly loved. He rubbed and rubbed the satin binding until it was just tattered shreds. Once when the family was visiting my daughter asked if I would repair the binding. I had to just completely replace it with fresh satin binding. Poor Daniel! The new binding wasn't all soft and shreddy with places for his little fingers to weave in. He was terribly upset. Several years later they were visiting agin. He still liked to sleep with his blanket, even though he was no longer a toddler. Because of all the love it had received, now some of the soft flannel was wearing out. He asked me if I could mend it, and I told him I could, but it would involve sewing some new flannel patches over the worn out places, and that might change the way the blanket felt to him - and he remembered how traumatic the replaced binding was, and decided not to have the flannel mended.

Archived