How to explain what you do--a lightbulb moment.

I was explaining to a co-worker just what I do as a longarm quilter. She commented on how that sounded like a "nice hobby". Letting her know that I do this as a business and not a hobby, I finally found a comparison that people seem to actually get!

I said to compare what I do to a professional photographer. Both may start out as enthusiastic amateurs. Then, with the purchase of some very expensive machinery, a dedicated place to perform their tasks, and the guts to find a customer base, they both go "pro". They take classes, keep up on the latest in their industry, deal with many and varied personalities every day, and put out beautiful things that please their customers. And some of those things become heirlooms.

Just thought I would share! BTW--she still didn't get it!!:P:P:P

Some people just don't get it anyway, LOL....... I have a quilt on the wall of my office and a female vendor commented on "the blanket". I explained the quilting process to her and that I had made it and I also explained my long arm machine. I have taken vacation time to attend quilt expo's and shows and when I return she always asks if I went to a "knitting convention". I have to chuckle.........

Originally posted by LisaC

Some people just don't get it anyway, LOL....... I have a quilt on the wall of my office and a female vendor commented on "the blanket". I explained the quilting process to her and that I had made it and I also explained my long arm machine. I have taken vacation time to attend quilt expo's and shows and when I return she always asks if I went to a "knitting convention". I have to chuckle.........

Reminds me of the quilted toilet paper TV commercial and the gals were knitting!!!:cool:

My sister in law and brother in law both pretty much dissed my quilting machine when I got it and believed that all I did was turn it on and it did everything automatically. :) My sister in law is of the old school that it's not a REAL quilt unless it is hand quilted. She has strong opinions but has never, ever made or hand quilted a whole quilt herself. I just ignore her.

WHew ,this is a touchy subject for myself whom vowed that all my long hours of piecing a quilt would never be quilted by a computer operated machine,.................fastforward..........less than a year of saying that Iam in the market for a used milli, so it can be upgraded to things I knew nothing about if I keep open minded . I am buying for my own personal use ,I have been quilting on a 35.00 singer 201 ,and pinning on the floor is getting old so needless to say I have decided that if I am going to do it I just as well go big also because all my kids are grown and want big quilts ,the last one I quilted hada few pleats in the back so the idea of no pinning excites me just as much as the machine I have never layed eyes on ,hopefully tommorrow I will test drive and be forever hooked .

good luck Queenie123, I hope you are hooked well on the first touch!

Linda/Vivian, that SIL might need to be educated that using updated tools and technology is still you doing your work. Ask her if she writes everything by hand using a quill, and I am sure that she doesn't use a telephone! Good work to ignore her.

Originally posted by Neher-in-law5

good luck Queenie123, I hope you are hooked well on the first touch!

Linda/Vivian, that SIL might need to be educated that using updated tools and technology is still you doing your work. Ask her if she writes everything by hand using a quill, and I am sure that she doesn't use a telephone! Good work to ignore her. [/quote

A Quill!!! LOL]:P:P

Send her to the "Quilts for Sale" page on Carol Bryer Fallert's website. Once she sees the prices, maybe she'll be convinced that what we do is art, not a hobby. At least, not for those of you who are in business. I'm still in the "just for me" stage.

I tell people to think of me as a "finish carpenter" for quilts. They still don't really get it. And even my friends look at my job as a hobby - like I can just run out any time. Go Figure. Just laugh. It's all good. Who wants to be taken too seriously in life any way?

Originally posted by quilted charm

All I have to say, is if it were just a hobby, I'd get to do more of my own stuff! I have to squeeze my things in between the paying customers. As my husband says, "since she got that machine, I never see her. She only comes out of the cave to eat and sleep, and I never see anything she finished!":P:P

Yes! Sounds VERY familiar - hehehe

A good way to get your own stuff done now and then is to slot yourself in as a Customer ;) Every now and then a mysterious woman called *Gracie* appears on my quilt schedule. (Gracie is actually the name of my millie btw :) )

Doesn't always work because sometimes a please please PLEASE quilt comes in but *Gracie* is very forgiving and she does give me a bit of space to juggle things around ;)

- Ani

I live with three men (ages 15 to 54) who think mom goes to work and "plays" each day. All they see is the time away from the farm...i.e. I am not feeding/taking care of the 5500 pigs any more or driving much tractor. I figure the 15 and 18 year old boys are big enough to handle the pig chores instead of their "old lady":D:D

I also find it much more stimulating to visit with my renters and people who drop off/pick up quilts then chatting with the pigs:o

I told one of my aunts, who was of the mind that it isn't really quilted unless done by hand, that people used to sew it together by hand , pick the cotton by hand, weave the cloth by hand etc. but when we got machines we looked on that as progress. I used to sell embroidery machines too and some people would say that about embroidery. I don't have the time it would take to quilt a quilt by hand, or to piece one by hand.

She stopped listening to me and I am sure she still doesn't get it.

Guest Linda S

I was explaining to a woman once, and I could see the light come on. She said, " Oh! You're a fiber artist!" I said, "That's right, honey, and I'm not working in Metamucil!" :P

LOL I was asked to help at a local state park on quilting history and she asked if I could bring my LA along. I said that was not posible and when she asked why not it was just a sewing machine:(. I showed her a picture on my phone and said this is what I quilt on I'll bring a picture but not the real thing. She said wow didn't have a clue and that a picture of that bad boy would be just fine. :D:D.

Archived