Holy Smoke Batman!!! Millie caught fire!

Holy Smoke, not me!! The important question - Did it damage the quilt if you had one on the frame??? I can't imagine your reaction. Did the smoke go away when you unplugged it? Smell, usually there is a terrible smell with a burn like this - have any?

The good news, you were at home, not in the local fabric shop and you heard the noise and reacted quickly. Blessing can be found in odd and strange ways. Good luck with the Millie clean up and repair. Did you maker her mad or angry?? Ok girls and guys, let's speak nicely to our APQS friends. CiCi

I did have a quilt on the frame but it wasn't damaged. I never saw flames, just lots of smoke and yes it did smell bad. My DH opened the back and we could see that one of the boards was burned. He says a capaciter blew up and something else melted in the bottom he can't recognize. I am soooo glad I was home. The inside of the rear cover had scorch marks where something literally caught fire!:o Scared the **** out of me!

Guest Linda S

Wowzers! I didn't even realize this could happen! I have my machine plugged into an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) and generally switch the whole thing off on the way down the stairs, so nothing is left on when I leave the room. It wasn't always that way though. I hope your Millie is repairable, and that she's still under warranty.

Originally posted by Linda S

.....I have my machine plugged into an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

A very good practice to have this on a dedicated UPS. Power surges can fry electronics.

Originally posted by Linda S

...switch the whole thing off on the way down the stairs, so nothing is left on when I leave the room.

Another very good practice. I never leave my machine on unattended.

Yep! It happened to me too! I was actually starting to quilt. I was at the front and was going to start to quilt, looked up and the smoke was pouring out! Under warranty. Called Iowa and got new circuit boards and sent the bad ones back. She is all good now. Yea!!

Virginia,

so sorry to hear about your Millie deciding to "take a smoke" :)

Most likely it will not need a trip back to Iowa, which is the good news. The circuit board(s) are easily replaceable. It may help if you take photo of the back of the machine (with the cover off) along with the "thing" your hubby can't identify, and send it to us at service@apqs.com.

Then when Amy gets in the office on Monday she can take a look and determine the extent of the damage, along with sending you the correct parts to fix it.

We'll get it up and running again quickly! :)

Oh Virginia, This would scare me too. I'm not sure I would react as quickly as you did. I am afraid I would panic. I am glad there was no damage to your home and the quilt you were working on. I hope you get your machine repaired and running soon.

Archived