Jelly Roll quilt idea

I saw a cute variation of the Jelly Roll Quilt on a blog a couple of days ago.

After the quilt is sewn and trimmed, she sliced it into three columns vertically and used a dark color in 2 1/2" strips for sashings and a border.

It mixed the colors up a bit because you can flip and arrange the columns and the dark between made the colors sparkle. Another plus was with the extra fabric added, the top was enlarged to a generous lap size.

While these quilts are fun and a great use of jelly rolls, I always think they need something else--at least a border. Great solution and I'm going to give it a try.

Guest Linda S

Was that Kim Stotsenbergs? I liked that one. There are so many great blocks that can be made from jelly roll strips. I personally (and it's just my opinion) think that the 1600 Jelly Roll quilts where people have a race to see who can sew the strips together are to total waste of fabric. I don't even think they should be called quilts! But that's just me - I find beautiful fabric needs to be used creatively. I was glad Kim cut hers up and flipped it around. Gave it a lot more interest. :)

That's a cool idea to add a bit more interest to these quilts.

I've now made three of them; added borders to all, and one with patriotic fabrics I also appliqued stars in two sizes to it. These are going to be donated to a charity. I also only used 20 strips, instead of the usual 40 strips, so I ran mine vertically, not horizontally. By adding borders they are a nice lap size.

I had fun making them- like potatoe chips, can't (eat) make just one. :)

Made one with co-ordinating fabrics. Did three rows with fabrics and then in next row, about 12" in from edge added, 12" cordinating pieced block. Had 4 blocks that worked with my 2-1/2" strips and staggered them around. The blocks all had unbleached muslin as a background and the strips I used had a lot of cream in them, so it worked. I liked it better than just strips. Don't take pictures and wouldn't have a clue on how to post them. Maybe I should learn that skill.

Next one I am going to try adding the 2-1/2" squares as Amy did. Don't think I would buy a jelly roll for this; but it is an OK method to use up co-ordinating strips of fabric. I always buy more than a pattern requires.

Marilyn

Guest Linda S

I'm not certain, but I think this is the picture to which Linda referred. Cutting those strips apart and just flipping them over and adding a sashing can add so much interest as opposed to simply sewing strips together with no other design element. Kim Stotsenberg has been a friend of mine virtually from the beginning of my quilting career, and I salute her for adding interest to an otherwise overly boring quilt. It doesn't take much to turn simple strips into something with focus and interest. Sorry if I offend anyone, but simply sewing strips together does not a quilt make!

post--1346190908813_thumb.jpg

Wish I would have had this hint before I quilted this last week. I participated in a class a week ago Friday on doing this version of the jelly roll quilt (adding the 2 1/2" square in between the strips), and it is one of the ugliest quilts I've made. I used 12 fabrics, 4 strips of each color. I was particular in keeping the colors in a certain order and later was told I shouldn't have because that's what caused all the same colors to come together. My friend did the same thing and she's like me and didn't want to waste any more fabric on adding borders or time in working on a quilt she doesn't like. So this is what NOT to do. I thought maybe an all over feather meandering would maybe make this quilt not so ugly. NOT so. I'll keep it long enough to show at show and tell to tell them NOT to do this and then it's outa here.

post--13461909088394_thumb.jpg

Cindy, It is pretty in it's o wn way. It would be great for a beginner, someone who is numbering shy, or for a child to make, depending on their skill level, or eye sight towards the quilt. It would also make a good quilt for the residents to make.. and it is usually men who make the quilts!

No, I wouldn't do that, but was seriously trying to figure out what to do with the one I'm putting together, and, the sashing and cutting into blocks, will do a great job.

Thanks for the idea, Linda..

Originally posted by CindyT

Wish I would have had this hint before I quilted this last week. I participated in a class a week ago Friday on doing this version of the jelly roll quilt (adding the 2 1/2" square in between the strips), and it is one of the ugliest quilts I've made. I used 12 fabrics, 4 strips of each color. I was particular in keeping the colors in a certain order and later was told I shouldn't have because that's what caused all the same colors to come together. My friend did the same thing and she's like me and didn't want to waste any more fabric on adding borders or time in working on a quilt she doesn't like. So this is what NOT to do. I thought maybe an all over feather meandering would maybe make this quilt not so ugly. NOT so. I'll keep it long enough to show at show and tell to tell them NOT to do this and then it's outa here.

I am sure it is more "ugly" to you than others...it will make a great donation quilt to whatever organization you choose -- believe me-- the fact that it is "handmade" and given with compassion will be cherished by whomever receives it.

I'm not too sure jelly roll quilts should be suggested for beginning quilters. I have quilted more than one JR quilt that gets wonky...it's like that 1/4 seam gets either too narrow or too wide as they venture down the strips. AND then there is the pressing issue. I have seen some cute JR quilts and it does showcase those yummy lines of fabrics.

Archived