Prim Panel and my Beloved Feathers!

I'm determined to get those feathers down!!!  For me, the only way to get them is to DO them!   ;)

I would have shown this a few days ago but I finished the whole darn thing - then found my tension was a WRECK on the back.  I ripped the entire quilt...and quilted it again.  So - does that make this quilt number 6 instead of 5?  LOL*

The puffyness in the unquilted areas is just from me holding the quilt out to get a shot of the quilting...it lays nice and flat when I let go of it!  ;)

These feathers are a bit wompely...but getting SO much better!  I used as blending of a thread as I could find to hide all my hiccups.  I still think the texture is nice though.  I'm pretty happy with it and the customer is pleased so...on to the next!

post-10627-0-74332600-1360646648_thumb.jpg

post-10627-0-70285700-1360646653_thumb.jpg

Hahahaha Liam - thank you!!  I'm figuring out little things that are helping.  I was seriously paranoid about my tension after ripping the whole darn thing, I think they would have been a little better if I had relaxed.  Waiting now for a lady who is mailing me her quilt top and it will take a few days to get here so I'm going to try out one of my own quilts today - yay!

I'm finding a lot of backlash - I have a question!!!  I use Little Genie bobbin washers in my domestic, but I don't have any other bobbin cases with the metal springs inside...do I remove that to put in a bobbin washer??

I have yet to use the Genie bobbin washers,but I would think you would remove the metal spring in order to use the Genie one. Hopefully someone else will chime in that has used them.<br /><br />Just wanted to comment that you are making great strides in your feather quilting! Keep it up!

You are taming that machine and taking over - there's no looking back now! Feathers are looking good! Now that you learned a lesson to check your tension top and bottom more often (sorry you had to frog so much), do check your backlash spring to make sure the little arms are sticking out enough to put pressure on the spinning bobbin.  And I'd suggest you go ahead and order an extra bobbin case and extra backlash springs to have on hand so if you change threads or have trouble you have one ready to go.  All in all you are doing great in your progression (need a smiley for a high five :P )

I don't us the bobbin washers either, but I have a friend with a Millie that loves them and I am pretty sure she takes out the spring. Where are you getting your back lash? I found that if I am really consistent with the movement of my machine, it really helped backlash/railroad tracking. Be careful not to "whip" around the ends of the feather and when you come into the point of the feather enter and exit using the same speed. I watch tons of videos, and you will notice the really good quilters have a very regimented speed of movement. Kind of mesmerizing when you begin to see it. That is how I strive to move my machine. Clear as mud? LOL I first noticed watching Deloa Jones quilt. She literally dances smooth and rhythmically.

Great job on your feathers, you have the key already, practice, practice, practice. And you learned a very valuable lesson. Always, always, run your hand under your quilt and feel those stitches on the back. I run my finger nail along the stitches. If you hear a pop, pop, pop, or it feels slightly raised, stop and investigate. Trust your instincts. If something looks just a little funny, or sounds funny, there could be a problem. You never know when those little "dust boogers" are going to get under the finger of your bobbin case. Have a great day!

Hey thank you Marci!!  ;)  Yes you are right!!!  I have GOT to check that tension more!  Well, I grabbed one of those lamp attachment things that I have on my sewing table and held it underneath the quilt so I could see the back.  I panicked because all those holes look like  thread pokies.  It was really hard to distinguish the truly poor tension from the good tension.  I used two different weight threads and I wonder how much of an impact that had - 40 wt. Isacord on top and 50 wt. So Fine! on the bottom.  I had loosened up my tension like I saw on a Jamie Wallen video, but I found for this combination, I couldn't get the top loose enough with the bobbin tension so loose.  I was cursing myself fiddling with that tension mid quilt!!  Ack!  Oh well, lesson learned.  :)  I tightened up the bobbin and that helped immensely, I was then able to loosen the top enough to match.

So for those of you who've tried both - do you prefer the bobbin spring that's in the bobbin case or the genie bobbin washer??  Maybe the metal springs are just worn out?  I have lots of those bobbin washers layin' around though so if they work as well I might as well drop one in.

I use the Bobbin Genie in my DMS because I could hear the bobbin rattling in there.   Haven't tried it in the Millenium.   I have extra bobbin cases for the Millie and I keep one adjusted for the Magnetic Fil Tec bobbins and a couple with the springs in for using the prewound bobbins or one I wind myself. 

You are doing a great job.  

Feathers are great; you are on a roll! Don't hesitate to try the magna-glide bobbins. I use both Super Bobs with Sew Fine and Magna Bobbins from Filtec; and keep different bobbin cases for each. The magnetic bobbins stop alot of backlash; however, I don't have any trouble with my Super Bobs either; I think some quilters take one side of the cardboard off their Super Bobs and they work better for them.......Linda Rech does, I think? Linda?  Anyone else who can comment on that?

Hi Valerie...

Your feathers are looking good!

I used to wind all my own bobbins and I tried both the little genie and the washer.

I wound up using the washer.

I also use a TOWA gauge. It really helps me.

But I'm not sure if you've heard of magna glide bobbins yet.

They are fabulous.

I used to swear I'd never use them.

Couldn't justify the extra $.

Guess what?

After finally trying the free samples they sent me...I LOVE THEM.

They make it so much easier.

And save time and frustration.

If you haven't already, request some free samples and give them a whirl!

Valerie,

First let me say that my first feathers did not look anywhere near as nice as those! In fact, I was so chicken to try them, that I used Warm and Natural batting (no puff to show them off), and invisible thread in a busy border. You nearly need a magnifying glass just to see them, and not because they are so small...they just blend in really, really well. :) Yours are looking scrumptious!

Just to clarify something for you, if you're truly getting "backlash" then you're seeing "bird nests" on the underside of the quilt where the bobbin released too much thread (that can be an issue with the bobbin genie...it is designed to make the bobbin spin smoothly, but sometimes it is so smooth it won't stop the bobbin from overspinning when you come to a stop or a start. And with and Ultimate I where we CAN'T linger in the corners (or our thread will break) you have to "snap in and out" of the points of a design. This increases the chances of backlashing in the points from that rapid jerk or stop/start.

A backlash spring will typically be better on an Ultimate I. As for the Magna Glides, they will work well...but just be aware that you can then encounter the opposite problem in the corners of designs with that machine. Now instead of overspinning when you stop and start, the magnet in the bobbin holds on firmly to the bobbin case and takes more effort to get it moving again. This can result in "pulls" in the corners where your bobbin thread gets yanked to the top in the corners and points.

Backlashing is really a different issue from imbalanced tension, but they are certainly related. If you're seeing a lot of the bobbin thread simply "laying" on the back of the quilt and not making a clearly defined stitch, then here are some articles I've written for both Fons and Porter's LOQ magazine and the APQS Blog (you can find lots more under our "Resources" tab on the home page) that relate specifically to tension. They may have some hints that will help you gain confidence with your machine:

http://www.apqs.com/blog/2012/10/02/needle-flex-and-its-impact-on-tension/

http://www.apqs.com/blog/2012/06/27/did-you-knowjust-how-tight-are-you/

http://www.apqs.com/blog/2012/12/13/tackling-machine-quilting-tension/

http://www.apqs.com/blog/2012/12/21/quilting-the-quilt/

Keep sharing!

Valerie, the TOWA is really a handy tool to have around, if you don't already have it. It helps you get each bobbin tweaked for more consistent bobbin tension. I didn't used to use it with every bobbin change until Linda S. mentioned she does, and once I started, my tension is usually great throughout the whole quilt. I use aluminum bobbins and I'm not sure if this factors in, but each of my bobbins requires the tiniest bit of adjustment for me to get the right tension for my machine. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it in case you were interested in spending money  :P Here is Renae Haddadin demo'ing the TOWA. She uses a much higher tension than some. You have to find your own "sweet spot" for each thread and each machine. 

EDIT: I forgot to say, great job on those feathers!! 

EDIT AGAIN: Sorry to Meg, I didn't realize there was a page two and after I posted I saw Meg's mention of the TOWA. Can I delete my post?? I'm going to my corner now  :mellow:

Archived