Basket Quilt

Finished this one in January, I have two more to show but have to wait until they are picked up first...

8492688333_4b3f0bc26e.jpg
Quilt # 217 by SewmanyquiltsSewlittletime, on Flickr

Some detail....

8492687569_ca44280e7a.jpg
Quilt #217 Detail by SewmanyquiltsSewlittletime, on Flickr

And this is to show how the starch and steam method works....I was worried that I would not get all this to lay flat and could not take a tuck due to the pattern but id manage to work this in on the borders...

8493787446_fae6debe07.jpg
IMG_0035 by SewmanyquiltsSewlittletime, on Flickr

Thanks for looking....

Thanks everyone for your compliments - honestly this quilt almost brought me to tears I was so frustrated with those borders,

Brake - the starch and steam method is something one of our "Bonnie"s came up with - I can't find the old thread on it but it consists of spraying a wavy border with some spray starch and then hitting it with a steam iron and after it dries, repeat if necessary which results in shrinking that stretched fabric back.  Since the borders were attached to bias cut triangles there was alot of stretching going on.   But there is only so much you can do if it is put on with lots of puckers as it was and I had to work in the extra fabric.  This was her first quilt and she was quite proud of it and the fact that she did not use a pattern.  We had the "full border" talk and  I did give her my handout on how to correctly measure and attach borders which was taken very well - she is excited to learn how to piece a quilt correctly.

Bonnie, I love feathers and did them freehand.  I did mark the inside circle with a marvy marker but did the rest freehand.

Well, I'm looking at the first photo---soooo pretty, soft looking, cute fabrics and great quilting. Going to the next photo--look at those feathered wreaths! Great design for this repro quilt--I'm loving it! Then photo #3--my heart lurched and my palms got sweaty! You're a miracle worker, Vicki! Great job!

I love basket quilts and hope to make one for myself one of these days. You feathered wreaths are beautiful!  I think it is Bonnie Botts that made a DVD? a few years back demonstrating the starch & steam method. I ordered  one from her and it really helped me understand this method.    Becky

Archived