Quilting with a 'silent' partner?

I’m flummoxed … before I got my long-arm I had a local long-armer quilting my quilts.  At that time I was a prolific piecer so I was giving her plenty of quilts each
year.    And I was paying a really good price (good being upper tier for our area), but she had a reputation for doing great
work.  On several quilts I started noticing that she was using the same panto over and over … big panto for big quilts.  Ok, mildly annoying but about
that time I got my machine and started doing my own.

Several of my friends use her and that’s a-ok.  Not a problem .  I have plenty of customers.  And I have always been her biggest cheer-leader …

I found out around the time that I got my machine (3 years ago) that Susie Quilter had purchased a 2nd machine several years prior for her sister in another state.  “She
needs to stay busy”.   Nice thing for a sister to do … teaching her sister how to quilt and become independent.

My friends ask me what my lead time is and right now I have to say 4-6 weeks.  Friend volunteered that Susie Quilter has a turn-around time of about 2 weeks.  And she has plenty of customers and does a lot of monthly classes.  I always wonder how some people can do SO much …

I’m really bad about connecting dots unless they are extremely close together … can you see this train coming?

I found out yesterday that she is actually sending her customer quilts to her sister to quilt while she works on custom quilts … and I’m pretty sure she hasn’t told my friends that this is what she’s doing.  So no wonder her turn-around time is 2 weeks.  Two people working on quilts will lower that turn around time.  Hmmm …

And I know that there are more than a few well-known quilters who work with family members, but it's not 'secret' ... or kept under wraps.  And I'm betting that Susie Quilter isn't the only quilter out there who has a "secret" partner or two.  So there's more to this than meets the eye.  I believe that if you're using help, just put it out there.  Patty Piecer probably won't care, especially if you offer a discount since YOU personally won't be quilting her quilt.

Me?  I believe in full disclosure.  If you’re sending my quilt to someone else, just explain that to me and then maybe offer me a discount.  But don’t leave me in the
dark.  And then let me find out on my own.

I’m pretty annoyed that some of my quilts MAY have been quilted by her sister and not by her – and I was not getting a discount.  I paid full price.

For my own full disclosure – I never ever examined closely a quilt that I got back, except to be sure that there were no bird’s nests on the back , that the design was good.  I
usually took a good look at the front, back, gave her a check, took it home, and wrestled that big thing under my DSM for the binding.  So I really can’t complain … can I?  But as mentioned, I started noticing the same big panto was being used. 

So … do I say something to my two friends who are great customers of this quilter?  I am absolutely positive that they have no idea that their quilts may be going
elsewhere to be quilted.

I’ve decided to keep my mouth shut.  I have to ask:  What is my purpose in saying anything?  To inform my friends?  Would I want to know?  Yes, but not everyone thinks like I do.  I would probably be doing a disservice to everyone involved, and could potentially ruin my friendships with my two friends.  So I’ll keep mouth zipped.  Thanks for letting me work this out on this forum! 

Hmmmmm....that's a really good question. She should tell you if she isn't personally quilting your quilt. At a LQS and they do quilting and rent out their machines. You may not know who is doing your quilt, but you know this information going into the deal. If I sent my quilts to Linda Rech (as if I could) I would want her doing it not her sister unless she told me her sister would be doing it and she would guarantee it would be as good or better than she could do (as if). Sorry Linda, but you make an excellent example.

There is a person on another group who lets her sons quilt some quilts. They are teenagers and learning. They aren't bad. She gives a discount to the quilt owner and they understand who is doing their quilts. Most of the piecers are ok with this because they say these are "every day" quilts or for children, pets, etc. so they are happy to have it done more inexpensively.

I would probably try to sit and talk with her about how this made you feel. Not that what she is doing is wrong, but how it made you "feel". I wouldn't say anything to anyone else unless the topic came up in conversation. It will be interesting to see how others comment, especially the ones who may be doing this. The other side of the story may be just as good.

I'm stumped.  A "secret" partner doing someone's quilting?  It hardly computes in my brain.

I might quietly ask my two friends who are a happy customer of this quilter-with-a-partner, "did she do the work herself?"  That would plant the seed that they should ask.  I guess it depends on the personalities involved.  That might lead to an explosion that you don't want.

Maybe your best course is to stay quiet.  Her secret will eventually come out without your help. 

The nerve!

Hmmm.  I think I might be miffed a bit too.  I wouldn't be upset that someone else came in to help, but the misleading part stinks.

On the same note...is it possible she DID make it known but maybe, you just didn't catch wind of it?  

I'll tell you what, if I've learned anything, I've learned that the quilting community is SMALL - online and off.  People hear things and share things and don't always have the full story before they start to share it.  I have experienced this already and my little business has barely taken it's first breath!!  LOL* 

I would say, for me, I would just sit on it for now.  If there was something really bad about the quilting I would imagine you would have discussed it with her upon picking it up.  I wouldn't make a stink about it if it were me, personally I'd just keep it in the back of my mind.  If someone asked me what I thought about her I would rave your raves publicly and openly for her...and express that there is a little more to the story and your kind, non-judgmental take on it.  Let others decide what they think about it, and if they want to still go to her.  That way there's no pointing fingers at you that you're raising a fit because you're jealous or something like that.  Know what I mean?  It is what it is.  Good thing YOU know what's going on.

Good luck!!!   :)

My daughter worked with me for a while on CL boards.  My customers knew she did them and they were okay with it.  When I did a CL board they assumed she was still doing them.  It is pretty had to mess up when using boards and with a stitch reg. machine you should not be able to tell one operator from another, that being said I always told who was quilting.  My question is is she shipping these quilts without the quilters knowledge?  I'd be concerned about lose or damage.  Boy scares me.

Joyce, maybe your last comment gives you the starting point to approach it, then.  Instead of approaching her about her not doing her own work, talk to her from the point of "I don't feel comfortable shipping my quilts without my knowledge" and then ask her what she does to ensure they're safe and insured.  And how often this occurs.  Less potentially personal since it's now not about the work, but about the safety of the quilt, and your discussion can range from there.

My first thought was also, is the customer informed that their quilt will be shipped out of state? That's a medium-sized risk. How would you explain that to a customer if the quilt was lost or damaged if there wasn't any disclosure?

The assumption when you take a quilt to a local longarmer is that they will be quilting your quilt. The fault here is in not disclosing that fact and that you have an "assistant" or "associate" doing the stitching. The fact that the quilting is acceptable doesn't factor into the deception. If I sent a quilt to Pam Clarke or Linda Taylor to quilt I would be pretty angry if a helper had done the stitching. You're paying for the reputation as well as the quilting.

That said, you've been given great advice to be discreet and offer the facts to those who you think will care about them. For those who don't care, there's no problem.

I would be so torn if this had happened to me. :wacko:  

My not-so-humble opinion is if the quilter has help, she should state that on your invoice--"quilted by Sister Sue in Colorado in association with Debbie Decepticon Quiltworks in California". Overall quilting is pretty standard as to pricing so I wouldn't think a discount would be necessary as long as the quilter is named.

Hey Oma! Come north and we'll quilt together! :)

Oh, that is a tricky one.   I would be upset if MY quilt was being sent off to someone else without my knowledge.   IF that's what's happening, it will catch up with her one day and she will have to answer for it.   If she is doing this secretly and not telling her customers, then, she is very wrong !     I think I would just keep quiet and let her dig her own hole.   She will get caught eventually.

As a customer, you have every right to know if your quilt is being quilted by someone other than the person you contracted with.  If a friend of mine had knowledge that I was not receiving the services I contracted for, I would expect that friend to tell me.  How I handle the situation is then up to me. 

You do not have absolute knowledge that this is what's happening...only a suspicion based on your own observation about the panto being used, her turnaround time,  and knowing that she purchased a machine for her sister.  You should ask her if she is shipping these quilts out, and if she says she is,  tell her that you are no longer comfortable referring customers to her unless she discloses this information to them. 

To me, my obligation is to my close friends.  I don't have to blab everything to anyone with whom I am on a first name basis...but I would certainly share my concern with good friends.

I would wonder how she affords shipping costs? That has to be expensive!

If you really want to know something, I say go to the source. Why not ask her ... nicely, of course? Most of my customers are returners and if they have a question or a concern, I would rather they ask me. It beats the alternative of having talk behind your back that you can't correct or explain. It may not be true that someone else is quilting for her, or if they are, it is her business (like a "business," not mind your own business! LOL). If it were another kind of business, say making candy or something, would it matter if she made the candy or if someone she employed made the candy? So long as she takes the risk of something happening to your quilt, I don't see how it matters, unless she has specifically stated somewhere that she is the only one who will be quilting your quilts? 

Gosh, I don't know. This is an odd situation. I personally would think she was the one quilting the quilts she takes in so I understand the concern, but then when I think about it in a business mindset, is it unethical? Or perhaps just not what was expected?

Lots to think about here!

Hmm, after a little thinking, I realized you don't take quilts to her any longer as you do your own. I would say that it would be within your rights to ask her about  YOUR particular quilts that you have taken to her, but to ask in general may not be information she wants to share with anyone but her clients.

Yikes,  Hot Potato,  I would want a heads up about the possibility that my quilts are being sent off the premises,  (heck I'd want to know if someone was driving them across town, never mind the state line).  That being said tho,  there is an old saying about pointing the finger at someone else,  there are 3 more pointing back at you.  If anyone was to ask you personally, I would quietely state "what you had heard", but I wouldn't mention it otherwise. 

You do the best you can on your customers quilts and keep mum about what might be happening.  You could start an advertising campaign about how your customers quilts are stored safely (in a special cupboard or ???) and they are never sent out to a 3rd party.  The wording would have to be worked on.  Good luck. 

You stated you "found out" she was sending them away.  Where did that information come from,  Is it accurate?

Be advised as well that if you "heard it" that 15 more have heard it as well and it's traveling the grapevine and being embellished or mis-stated now. The degree of embellishment is directly proportional to the outrage level of the teller. If it isn't important to some people, no foul. If it's very important to others, it'll spread like crazy and the longarmer will need to do some damage control.

There's not a thing wrong with having a business with associates doing different levels of quilting--as long as that fact is disclosed to those who might care. Many quilt shops have several in-house quilters or allow their employees who also longarm to fish for customer as they work. Full disclosure is the key.

i know it has already been stated, but i have to agree that as long as the customers are aware who is quilting their quilts and where it is being quilted, then no foul. otherwise, there is a problem here. whether you should say something about it is another matter. you always reserve the right to not refer her to your customers. 

Think you are wise to keep your lips zipped.

How she ran her business 2 years ago when you were taking your quilts to her may be totally different than how she is running her business today. Her policies, disclosures and precedures may very well  be updated to reflect her current quilting business situation.

Terry

Lots of good suggestions here.  I guess if the client is happy with the quilting done on their quilt, then it would be a mute point for them as to who actually quilted it.  Of course if they thought one person was doing the quilting and then found out the other was actuallly doing it, this could be a problem for some clients.  I would be more concerned about the shipping/taking my quilt to another location for quilting without my knowledge. 

Yes, keeping quiet about this probably is the best course to take.  You certainly don't want to do anything that would hurt your own business.  If someone asks you about it, I would refer them to the quilter in question and tell them to contact them for that information.  I wouldn't tell anything, or offer up what you have heard.  These things have a tendency to bite a person back. 

Archived