MILs only quilt

This is a quilt my MIL made a very long time ago.

She is not a sewer.

She took classes to be with her friends.

She made one quilt and moved on to ceramics or some other craft.

She used cheap fabric and batting and a sheet for backing.

It was tied with yarn.

To bind it, she folded over the sheet and stitched it down.

She asked me to make it look like my quilts.

She likes a loose meander, she calls it that squiggly thing.

She's an old lady, what could I say?

This is what she gave me.

8634568171_9c408b7cd0.jpg

Gmas before by quiltymeg, on Flickr

I took it apart, got rid the batt and back, and just took it off the frame.

8634568071_9db579002f.jpg

Gma after by quiltymeg, on Flickr

With her failing eyesight, I think she will believe me when I tell her it looks great.

I tried to make the borders look straight.

I tried to square it up and make it look symmetrical.

There are a couple of puckers, but I don't think she knows that they are a bad thing.

Maybe she won't even see them.

It's not perfect, but it is much better.

I'm glad it's done.

She told me she would be leaving it to my daughter.

Even tho this is not her style, and she has lots of beautiful quilts, I know Kelly will be touched by this.

Once I bind it, I'm going to launder it for her.

It has never been laundered and is quite musty.

Actually, it is stinky.

Any suggestions on laundering would be most appreciated.

Meg,

Your MIL will love the quilt.  I bet it makes her feel special to have it professionally quilted.  I would say to either wash it in the tub or toss in the washing machine with a color catcher.   (I don't know if those blues will bleed.)  Then either lay it out to dry or be brave and put it in the dryer.   I would only use the washing machine & dryer if you feel that the seams were in good shape.  If not, hand wash and lay out to dry.

Your lucky daughter will have a quilt made by both her mother and her grandmother.  She won't care if it is in her colors or not!

Lynn

I read up on washing old quilts at one time....the advice ranged from...1.  don't do it...just vacuum with a difuser over the vac nozzle..2.line a tub with a sheet or something..gently emerse the quilt in the tub in warm water....let it soak a bit...gently press out the water no wringing...lift it up by the sheet, and put it out to dry under a tree where the sun can't get...(did not say what to do about any birds that might be roosting in the tree)...3. soak in washing machine, spin on gentlest cycle and spread out to dry...to 4) throw in in the washer and then in the dryer.....it depends on the condition of the quilt......Lin

I think it's pretty.  It may not win any awards at a show, but the maker made it as a result of "spending time with friends", and wants to pass it on to other family, and she was also complimenting you on your quilts.  I think sometimes we forget the reason people made quilts in the first place...to keep warm and provide emotional comfort.  I like to remind myself that not every quilt needs to be a "show winner".  I'll step off my soap box now :)

Archived