Karen McTavish Inspired Scrolls

Have I mentioned I'm a huge nerd fan of Karen McTavish?  If ever there were a quilting super hero to be had she's mine...I have watched possibly every tidbit of video on her quilting floating around out there on the internet...while learning to make feathers I would watch her video demonstrating Victorian Feathers on YouTube over and over and over...then I would go and try to draw them!  One of my favorite things about her quilting is her use of scrolls...and so I finally created some of my own! 

I don't want to show too much until it's finished...but here is my first attempt at this kind of quilting!  :)

11478519614_ebac8a6c76.jpg
1476633_718733784806544_917357095_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

Beautiful work, Valerie!   I love the background being diff from meandering..  Really sets it apart.

love the scroll work.. you are doing super good with them.

Love the outline border, the swags or clam shells.  A new idea.. and you did it!

Rita

Thank you Rita and Janna!!!

Rita - thank you!!  I really love this fill..it's not too terribly original as I have seen it used a lot before, but yes something other than stippling and I do a lot of pebbles so I wanted to do something that wasn't just pebbling either.  I don't know if I'll do it on such a massive open space again though...I kind of regreat not taking more time and putting more design in behind the scrolls.  On the next one!  :)

Janna - thank you!!  Yes on a non-stitch regulated machine!  LOL  I would REALLY like my stitch reg right about now though!  I think it would have helped keep those lines a bit neater but mehhh...in the grand scheme of things I still love it!!  :)

Haha thanks Sylvia!!!  Sheesh I wish it were perfect!!!!!!  LOL  :)  Yes for a moment I thought I might trade up...but I'm also cheap.  LOL!  I do some day want a brand spankin' new machine and BLISS and stitch regulation but I've decided that there are way more benefits to my APQS and just adding IS for now than trading in for something like a Handi Quilter or even going through all the mess of getting a newer APQS.  I'd rather just work with this for a few years until I have money to buy what I really want.

I do think the SR might help with some of my wobly lines, but otherwise I'm super happy with this...yay!!!!!!!!

Thanks Lisa E!!  :)  I did some marking yes - I made a scroll tempate and repated it several times around the quilt in different patterns to make neat designs with water soluble pen...then I just traced over it slowly with my long arm trying to hit the lines as best as I could.  The background filler is free hand but I did trace off some registration points for the scalloped edges and to mark my 1/4" for binidng.  Oh and I marked the center of the feathers near the bias tape just to keep it centered but the rest of them are free hand.

I know exactly what you mean, I love her work too and managed to get all books even thought they were out of print.

I just finished a wallhanging where I tried mctavishing for the first time too :)

You did a wonderful job, look forward to see the rest of the quilt soon, regards Lisa from Germany

Thank you all!!

Tyra (tyquilter) - McTavishing has not come easy to me!  There are a lot of variations in the look of it I have noticed depending on the quilter...but she has a really distinct style and it's that BACKTRACKING I have noticed that seems to be the real common indicator of her work...that and those sort of humps or exaggerated curves she makes...It took me a while to grasp that but mine still come out more like wavy lines!  LOL

Haha, Cathy, YES!!!  Here's a link...this is the same quilt...towards the middle!  :)

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/34510-one-more-in-progressall-without-stitch-regulation/

...and thank you!!  Today is our second Christmas with my Hubby's family...so I will be MIA a bit...the Husband has banned me from sewing today (but he's at work right now and what he doesn't know won't kill him, right?!  LOL!) *cough* so right now I'm cleaning and getting presents ready!  LOL  ;)

Archived