Challenging pictorial quilt

My customer pieced this top to loosely mimic the red rock mesas, sand, and foliage of Navajo country. She wanted it stitched to "look like" the rocks, etc. I didn't have much of a clue on how to do that for this color-blocked top. She gave me a children's book about the seasons in the Navajo culture which had lots of wonderful illustrations. Since she had used the book to choose and place her colors I had a better idea of what she wanted. I wasn't completely happy with the outcome but she was! There's only so much you can do to thread-paint on such a big top. The swoops of yellow and green are scrubby plants with blossoms. Two Gila monsters are hidden in the rocks and sand. The Navajo landscape has no cactus so the plants were all yucca-like, mesquite, or a shrub with yellow flower clusters. It was a challenge and it lingered on the frame for a long time as I experimented with various techniques.

Here's the Flickr link to the unquilted top hanging for inspiration. Arrow right three times to see the finished and detail shots. Thanks for looking!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/13210475715/

Archived