So what is the trick to doing pantos?. I think my carriage is still to tight because it is jerkey going into and out of the curves. I am just following the laser for now until I can control the machine well enough to make a pass without mistakes. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Nora

Washougal Washington

Millennium

Practice, practice, practice.

Also when I roll the top, I do a couple of dry runs to make sure that my rows don't over lap. Also, try searching on pantos. A lot of people have asked this same question and I know there is a ton of good information out there waiting for you to read.

Guest Linda S

Try to look ahead of the laser light and anticipate the direction you will move (sort of like driving and looking at the road ahead, not right in front of the car). I quilt pantos with my right hand on the left handle and my left hand on the take-up roller. It helps me get more leverage.

Linda

Nora,

Sometimes it helps to loosen your wheels, but be sure to read your manual on how to and where the setting needs to be. If you get it wrong it can be a pain. I do pantos all the time and my round loops were a little on the square side at first. I talked with APQS on the phone and they walked me through what to do. It helped.

Nora,

If you curves are squaring off, check your wheels for thread.

If thread gets warpped around the wheels, they can't turn as smoothly. When I clean my machine each day, that is one of my checks. Sometimes you have to get your nose down by the wheels to see the thread; mine hides just above the wheels.

About pantos: try a simple pattern that has loops or flowers. If you get off the line, keep quilting and gradually pull it back onto the line. Jerking movements will show much easier than gradually returning to the pattern.

After I have figured out where my stop and starts are and marked them on my pattern grid (or with blue painters tape before I got the grid)I do a dry run to get the feel of the panto.

In the beginning, I cut the first couple of feet off the panto and practiced using my finger to follow the line. I took it with me everywhere. Brain training and muscle memory.

I start the panto with both hands then smoothly move my right hand to the left handle. It is comfortable for me, sometimes with 2 hands on the left handle. Find what is comfortable for you and your size/ arm length. And don't forget to b-r-e-a-t-h-e.

RELAX!

The lines on the panto are just guidelines the laser does not have to stay exactly on the line at all times. Never stop in mid curve only at the points and keep your left hand on the take up roller (for balance) and only the right hand on the the left handle of the machine. Never try to do a panto with both hands on both handles...impossible to do and uncomfortable. The comment about the dry runs is a must, and also looking ahead while doing them is also a good tip. Also loosen your grip on the handle...if your too rigid you can't have smooth curves.

Joann

Nora, maybe your channel lock is on and that might be the problem with a stiff moving carriage?

Also check your carriage wheels to make sure the cam bolts are aligned at the same place for both bolts. Then, check the cam bolts on the rail wheels and make sure those two are aligned in the same position. Pull out your manual to reference the instructions and photos to do the adjusting to the cam bolts. You will need two box end wrenches to hold the bottom nut while adjusting the top cam bolt. If these cam bolts are not lined up the same, then the carriage will not move smoothly and this might be causing your problem with stiffness. Personally, I like my carriage and rail wheels to be as loose as possible without being too loose. You can adjust your wheels to be as tight or as loose as you like, as long as the cams are aligned in the same place; that's most important.

Besides doing the pantos, try the simple exercises that are located in the back pages of the manual.

I would try cleaning/polishing the rails like Dawns says in the maint. part of the video. It makes a big difference. When I got the first panto it has all sorts of swirls and curves, I thought no way can I do that ! So I bought one that was minimal curves to it and more straight lines, well, I found out that it is much easier to do the curvy swirly one that to try and keep lines straight! Guess it's a lot of trial and error til you figure out what works for you. I use both hands on the machine but I am going to try what the others do and see if it is more comfy or easier...will let you know!

Never say never.....

I do pantos using both hands on the handles, not impossible or uncomfortable for me. Try all the positions and suggestions and find what makes it all work for you. I love finding the perfect panto for a quilt. We have so many to choose from these days. Ribbon Dance by Jodi Beamish is a nice flowy panto, and Sue Schmeiden's pantos are also easy and interesting.

I almost exclusively do pantos. I like them. I use both hands on the handles, keep my elbows close to me, plant my feet at about shoulder width and sway my whole body taking small steps to the left as I go. I also always go back to the right to start the next row. Unless it?s the very first row and I need to fill a few stitches along the edge. Then I do those as I head back to the right. And like Joann said, don?t worry if you?re not exactly on the pattern line. I watch what I?m doing and make tiny corrections for the next pass. For example, ?oh, that leaf needs a shaper point? sort of thing.

Right now most of my customers are wanting varigated thread. Last year, no one wanted it. Go figure!

Catherine

I wish varigated came on pre-wound bobbins!

I love doing Pantos too I sort of feel like I'm in extreme concentration mode and for me that's an amazing. I feel like a monk in deep meditation. Ha Ha It's all fun. Trying new designs is fun. I like the idea of marking the end of you panto on your table with the blue tape. It makes it easier to know when tostop. I found out that you were only supposed to sew in one direction on the machine and at first I would go down one way and right back the other way. Am I the only one? I don't have a stitch regulator and it still comes out pretty good. I haven't been on my machine for 2 months and can't wait to get back.

I'm a both hand on the left handle, elbows close to the body, kind of gal. Also, you'll read in previous posts about people "dancing" with their machines. Try to think of a dance with yours, and loosen up your body. No "box step foxtrots" here. More of a waltz, nice and easy.

Beth

I too am a two handed panto quilter. I also rest my right forearm on the right side/boxy part of my machine which makes it an absolute extension of my body. I step about one step to the left so I can see my light and rock and roll with my entire body, look ahead of the laser and use body and shoulders as well as arms to control the machine, swaying back and forth with the rythem of the pattern. Gotta relax and keep loose or you'll get very stiff and sore. Good luck, you'll be great.

Yvonne from Sisters' Common Thread

Sheryl, i am happy to read that Superior will wind my choice on bobbins! I tried winding some Rainbow thread on a bobbin and after about 15 minutes gave it up. Couldn't keep the thread in the tensioning diaks. I am one of the "Right hand on the Left hand handle" quilters too. That is the way (name removed) taught us and it works great for me. I do the tracing the pattern with my finger several times first. ThenI practice the panto several times without the machine running, go away for an hour, come back to it and practice the motion again, If I have a small type panto that is detailed I hold my elbow in tight to my side ubtil I get the motion down pat with the machine running. NORA, I also have had the problem with the "jerky" movements and I find it helps if I increase the number of stitches per inch. If that does not do the job then call APQS and talk to them about it.

Archived