freaking out!!!!

Okay, I am almost in tears. Went downstairs to work today and discovered that someone had placed my iron face down on top of a quilt that was set aside to be next on my list. I think my DH is in very big trouble!!!! It leaked water all over the quilt, and now the colors are running. It's a blue and white quilt and there are blue stains on the white, and it looks like some yellow water stains here and there. I am freaking out. This is a brand new customer who said if she liked my work, she would come back to me. So much for that!!!!! What should I do? I'm a mess! Please help!!!

Barb

I would explain to her what happened then try to fix it. Just this week one of my quilting friends was raving about OxyClean, maybe that would be a good solution (anyone tried it?).

Once you get it over with you'll probably feel better since it usually happens that the dread of something makes you feel sick inside...when at least when it's all done you can take your lumps (like maybe she won't come back) and move on. I find that most people can relate to the oopsy's in life and are pretty forgiving. :) Hope this happens in your case.

Guest Linda S

Generally you can get running dye out of fabric by washing it in Synthrapol, but you do have to wash the quilt with it in HOT water. While I know it's really hard to do, call your customer and tell her what happened and get her approval to try and fix it. Synthrapol should be available at your LQS or you can get it at Dharma Trading Company.

Linda

Oh boy that is my worst nightmare! Well this will be a several step solution.

I would fess up to the customer and assure her you are going to do eveything to make this right. Get her appoval to first try to remove the stians.

I would not suggest this go in the washer as that is a huge no no with all those seams. I would maybe try a local cleaners, the quilt store, a good quilt friend that has the answer for everything and see if anyone can help get those stains out. Ok if they come out you are good. Now if they do not I would take it to the next step.

If the stains will not come out ask your customer if she has more fabric and replace the pieces...................now since the quilt is not colorfast as you noted I might go straight to this step. Maybe the stains are isolated enough that with new fabric you can replace the pieces that are stained................is it new enough fabric you can buy more?

I would also quilt this one at no charge or a huge disount and assure her this is not your normal operating proceedure.

Boy reading your post makes me suddenly grateful that my husband will not iron his own things!

Do let us know how this all works out....................without seeing the quilt I can not see the extent of the damage.

Okay...its been several hours since you posted this...so I'm hoping that you have started to breath again.

:( What a mess, I would so want to kill someone about now and should you still want to, I do have a spare shovel I can get into FedEx if you want it by tomorrow. :(

I am hoping that your customer was a bit understanding that this was an accident and not a usual situation for you....you have already beaten yourself up I hope she didn't add to your stress and that you have been able to get some results with the Synthrapol. OxyClean is good for some stains, but its not a dye removal but more of a grease, rust, and grass removal.

The only other thing I would do to maybe save the day is if you can convince her to let you finish the quilt, is to do it for free....I know we are here for profit, but sometimes ya just have to do what ya have to do.

I know you are freaking out...I have had a few of these times in my career as well, and each time is just as bad as the first. Honesty is the best policy and to be up front and deal with it the best you can. Having a solution before calling the customer has always worked for me....The customer repects your situation and most are understanding as stuff happens. I hope the best for you, and please let us know what the outcome was.

Oh and I forgot to say that if my husband had done this to me I would be really sweet and explain to him carefully what his carelessness caused and then tell him he has to make this right and the payback is going to be really, really expensive or extensive! For me I find that when I explode he will explode back but if explained nicely he is gonna start groveling and backpeddling to try to fix his mess.

OK, I am a total complete "newbie" but here is a thought (it might be dumb, but here it is anyway...lol)

Because the quilt is stained and it is not "quilted" (yet anyway), perhaps it might be best to lightly wet the fabric (by hand) to try to remove any loose stains, and after that, just go ahead and finish quilting it and then wash it afterward with Synthrapol to get the stains out? This way, the quilt would be more durable and also it would eliminate the risk of the unfinished seams getting unraveled.

(just a dumb thought but an idea anyway)

I wish you the best. I think things will be OK. Think positive.

Hi,

Try BIZ and soak it in a lager bucket in water warm enough to melt the Biz. I agree, explain to her what happened. I was doing quilt repair for a guy in new york. I got it all done and had my DH take it to the post office. Well he did not insure the box and they lost it. I had to pay him what I felt was a fair market value for the quilt. He was upset. I was upset, DH was in really big trouble. Accidents happen. Take a deep breath and call her. It will be ok. I'll say a little prayer for you.

Nora

Millenium

I've been thinking about this and I don't have any advice for

getting it out but..... if this wouldn't have happened, would it have

happened when she tried to wash the quilt?? Probably?? I know

that doesn't help you much but it is something the customer should

consider when she washes it.

Michele

Try OxyClean and cold water. Hot might set the stain. Use a tooth brush and even try Vinger with it. Or Baking soda. But what ever you do , do not use hot water as it will set the stain. I had a nightmare like this on my 2nd customer quilt as it was hand embrodery and the embroidery thread ran. I had to call the customer and explan what happened. I used water to removed watersoluable pen and the thread ran. How weard was that. And I agree. LOCK UP your studio or say no one allowed and if consequenses need to apply. Let us know what happens to get it out. Nita

Okay, I have calmed down and started breathing again. I will call the customer and ask if she wants me to use OXYclean. I will also gently advise her that she might have this problem when she washes the quilts. It's funny though. I have two quilts from her, she says that she is giving these quilts to her kids after she dies. She says she knows they will abuse them, and she doesn't want to know about it.

I will definitely give her a discount on this too. A big one! From now on, all quilts will go into a plastic bag the minute they enter my home. I wish I could lock my studio, but it's half the basement and it's free access to everyone. DH says he doesn't even remember moving the iron, but he is sorry, and knows he better never touch my iron ever again!!!! I will be losing money on this one, I just hope I don't lose a customer. Will let you know what happens!

Thanks everyone. I feel a little better now.

Barb:)

Hey Barb.

Another option you might consider....

If the damage is confined to a small area and your customer has extra fabric, it might be possible to just replace the pieces that are stained.

In any case, you are doing the right thing by calling the customer. I think it really important in this type of situation to be honest and give the customer options and involve her in the decision for how to fix the quilt. Who knows, your customer may have another idea for how to get the stains out.

Just for a little encouragement, I tore a customers quilt several months ago, and yes, I did freak out and yes, it was the first quilt I did for this customer. But after calling her, we decided together how to fix the quilt. The whole thing turned out great. My customer was very satisfied with the fix on the quilt. As a matter of fact, she coudn't even find where it had been torn. She is still a customer and often recommends me to her quilting friends. I'm praying that it works out just as well for you and for your customer!!

Debbi

I have heard you should NEVER take a quilt to the dry cleaners!! The chemicals cause alot of irreversable damage!

Good luck to you and let us know what the out come is! Oh the other nite at guild a member said she had a quilt that bled and she got it all aout with the color magnet she used a number of sheets but we could not find any signs of the problem - just another thought...

Sewhappy

I have used Oxyclean several times on vintage fabric squares, and it works great! It takes out yellowing age stains and everything. I just soak them overnight in the bathtub. It's never done any damage to my vintage fabrics, so I'd assume it won't to the ones in your customer quilt;)Good luck!!!!!

I know how it goes when something happens to a customer quilt so I do feel for you. It is unnerving. I had one cat that put holes in two different quilts...he got a little wild one night (I forgot to shut the door). Fortunately I don't have to worry about that happening again, but unfortunately we had to put him to sleep because of FIP...I miss my gentle (wild) Bill.

One suggestion is to never put water in you iron. I don't and just use a spray bottle when I need a good press on an item, yes... it is a little more work. I never have to worry about a leaking iron because my husband does press a few thing occasionally.

Hope you can get the stains out. I think I would just try what Shana suggested then if they don't come out call the customer and see how she would like you to proceed. Replacing the pieces would be a good option then you are not having to worry about the rest of the fabric bleeding.

Good luck,

I spoke to the customer and she was upset, but very understanding. I told her I would quilt this one for free, and she said I should do whatever I think best to get the stains out. I am off to the market to see if I can find some Biz. I applied some oxyclean by hand, and all it did was lighten the stain a little. Do you think I should soak the whole quilt top and then let it air dry? It's a really nice day here, I bet it would dry in a couple of hours outside!

Whew, what a week!

Barb:)

Hi Barb--

After the "solution" is found (and you will be able to remedy this--lots of great products out there) and the top is beautifully quilted, please gently remind your grateful customer that any white/blue or especially white/red top must have pre-washed and/or treated fabric.

This dye transfer would have happened with the first washing. She is lucky to have you to fix this for her!

Definitely treat the whole top and dry outside covered with a sheet (birds, ya know!!)

I was given a beautiful classic applique top which had been folded and stored for two years. A very subtle dye transfer from just one fabric was on the top which I treated with Synthropol and the top came out perfect. Good luck and keep us posted!

Linda Rech

One of the first tops I quilted was a muslin and thirtys log cabin and heart quilt. I prewash everything. However the first time I washed it after it was finished, the reds ran. I thought it was ruined so I put it in the dryer. A couple of months later someone told me to try Shout Color Catcher. I did and the dyes came out of the muslin back ground even though it had been in the dryer. -- You might want to try it as a last resort if nothing else works. Good luck.

Oh my worst nitemare (still waiting to happen). You can put the top in the washer, put it loosely into a pillowcase, if it is large, stitch two pillowcases together and then pin the remaining opening closed. I have used this method on a couple of very old handstitched tops along with Oxyclean or Synthopol in the water and it worked well. No loose pieces or ragged edges happening. I also used those color magnets to catch off the bleeding colors. They are like magic. Hope you can work this out. Breathe deep it is not the end of the world!!

Hugs

Jeanette

Barbara, it sounds like even though this bleeding occurred while the quilt was in your possession---you might point out to the customer that when she washes this quilt in the future it is going to bleed on all the other sections/blocks of the quilt too.

I use Color Catchers (in the detergent section of the store) when I wash fabric and/or quilts. A whole hand full of them! Not just one or two! I'm always amazed at the dye these little sheets catch. I just set my machine to soak, medium water temp. Then after a bit of soaking I use the most gentle cycle possible and agitate for only 5 mins. or less.

I would not wash the whole quilt but contine to work on the one area with BIZ or OXYCLEAN. Do not expect quick results with these products. It make take several days to get the dye or water stain from the iron out. I use this method to remove age spots from vintage linen, so I know it works.

I would not risk washing this quilt because at this point you know it bleeds, so why should you be the one to risk more bleeding---even with the dye catchers or Synthrapol. Just work on repairing your part of the problem.....

I have removed dye and marker with the BIZ and the Oxyclean method ----it just takes repeated solutions and a lot of soaking time.

Keep us posted.

This is "away" from the "fix the quilt" solution, but have you considered covering the loss under your home-owners/business insurance?

I know everyone has a deductible, and I dont know the size of the quilt, etc. however, it may be a $$ solution for you, as the insurance company would reimburse the client for the value of the quilt top (less your deductible) of course.

I couldn't help but think of this, as my hubby is an insurance adjuster, and I used to work claims as well a few years back. Hope all goes well for you and you can salvage your relationship with this new client.

Archived