What color is your quilting studio?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My studio is in the basement so I painted it a very pale blue so I feel like I\'m outside on a fresh summer day. The color was called Cloud Nine. I love it. On the walls going down to the basement I did a faux finish that actually looks like wallpaper and it doesn\'t show finger prints. I started with a base coat call Moose Antlers (almost a cocoa color) then topped with Malted milk and cream delight. I love it and so do my friends.

Heidi

Somewhere I\'ve heard that you shouldn\'t put saturated color into your studio because it would hard to see fabric colors in their correct shade. When we moved to our new home, it was already painted a soft creamy white, so that is probably what it will stay for awhile anyway.

:) Hi, I would choose yellow just for the uplifting happy factor but mine was painted white due to being in the basement and I also think white is good for reflection of correct color. My DH is putting in a 4 foot square window right next to my cutting table which will bathe the whole room in light during the day...can\'t wait but I do envy you gals above ground with even more natural light!! have a great new year! Denise

When we moved into our new place just over a year ago, I painted my studio and sewing room Benjamin Moore\'s "Gray Cashmere". It doesn\'t look like much on a little paint chip, but I was lucky enough to see a much larger sample and fell in love with it. It definitely has a bluish, greenish, grayish tinge, but it doesn\'t compete with anything I hang on it. I have lots of color in the rest of my house, and wanted/needed my business work space to be as neutral as possible, without being white or taupe.

The woodwork is all ivory white and is a nice soft contrast to the paint color. As much as I LOVE paint colors in my living space, I am so comfortable with the Gray Cashmere, I wouldn\'t hesitate to use it in my whole house.

I used a warm yellow, Barley, in my kitchen, and Garden Path in most of the rest of the living area, and have had a deep, rich red in a music room before, so I am not afraid of color on the walls, but I have to say it\'s a nice, calm relief to walk down into my serene studio and workspace. I used Paladian Blue in the 2 guest rooms that are also on the lower level, and the 2 colors blend beautifully.

Whatever you choose for the walls, make sure you use full spectrum fluorescent bulbs for your lighting. Where I live in British Columbia, it can rain for days/weeks on end in the winter time. With this lighting, I hardly even notice. Other bulbs give me headaches. These just keep me feeling "up" and happy. :)

You can see my studio and sewing space in my webshots album, Trillium House Studio, link below.

My favorite colors ..... all-shades of green. So of course my studio is "cucumber" and "pickle". Sound pretty mouth-puckering, but when I walk in to the room and rest my eyes on everything quilty in it AND the green - I DO feel good (and ready to get on my machine!) Right outside my sliding window - kubokubo fern and bird of paradise....more green - for me, it does not get much better!

Mine is a soft white because it was that color before I got my machine. It only has the original coat of paint and needs a new coat. But that will have to wait as I don\'t need another project right now.

Darlene...love the sound your cashmere gray paint.

Cheryl

I have two quilting rooms and have covered the walls with white pegboard (it can be painted any color if you start with the white). I\'m never at a loss when something needs hung up:) My DH is happy because I\'m not putting holes in the walls everyday which would eventually lead to replacing the drywall. I love the pegboard you can get all kinds of cool brackets including ones that hold shelves. The white keeps the room bright and doesn\'t mess with my fabric colors.

My studio is butter yellow and I love it. The rest of my house is blues, soft tans, or soft greens. The studio is mine so I put up my favorite color and I look forward to going there every day. My studio is the attic that my husband finished for me, so I have mostly sloped walls and can\'t hang pictures or quilts and the yellow gives me that spark of energy. I have a large window on each end so I get lots of natural light so the yellow doesn\'t interfere with quilt colors.

ok, wow thanks for all the input ladies!! I think have settled on one that I like, "applesauce" from the Behr paint brand at Home Depot. I have many small things to do to the studio before I can get painting, but I want it to be done by Saturday!!! Classes start back on the 9th for me and I have vowed to get this done by then. LOL

I chose to go with a soft green when painting my studio--my DD an interior design student said that green is a neutral color and helps absorb any other colors so that you can see the true color--don\'t quite know if I believe her--but I love how cheerfull the color is. DH doesn\'t like the color green--so I can have it in my space.

post--13461898917188_thumb.jpg

I have 2 studies too. Upstairs (with the only girl approved potty in the house) is a neat bicycle yellow from Bear at Home depot, very cheerful and easy to fet inspired. Downstairs is in the basement with the Millie. Tha is yellow and white walls. I don\'t have a finished basement (ohh i wish), but when I do get it done, I want lots of light and very brite colors there too!

I have the Millenium in the Living Room with a picture window that lets in lots of light. The walls are creamy white and the rug is tan and brown tweed shag. The Mega quilter is in the dining room with the cream walls and I have sewing border paper on the upper wall by the ceiling. There are sliding glass doors that go out to the sunroom where I have several other sewing machines, I keep my batting out there on a picnic table along with the backing fabrics. My stash of bolts are in the bedroom closet that has a light so I can see what I need most of the time. I keep the threads in the hall closet along with boxes of zippers. The finished quilts are on a garment rack and also in the closets and on the beds. That way I can show them to anyone who may be interested. I have an Accucut machine in the kitchen. I just got that for Christmas and have cut out a chisel quilt on it so far. Have lots of dies for it and want to get some more cut but I have a wedding gown to work on and bridesmaid too. Also redo a suit for a fellow in a wheelchair. So those projects come first.

Terri I love the quote on the wall! It is funny that you posted that as I had just been on this site called WallWords and decided that I wanted quotes somewhere in either my family room or in the studio (or both)!! They are really cool to use and they say they are easy to remove when you are tired of them. I would like a really cool one that has to do with quilting, but the website only has a couple, but the really neat thing is that they also do custom quotes that you design yourself.

I have been renovating my studio for over a year! I think it would be easier to start with a brand new space rather than designing around the existing stuff!! LOL I will try to post a photo of it when I get it completed. I should be done painting in a couple days on one side!! The other side is still be transformed and dry wall will go up on Tuesday. I have decided that I am the master of disaster here, most of my "this won\'t be too difficult" turn out to be somewhat monumental and thus require professionals to come in and rescue me from the messes I make. LOL

Archived