Am I nuts!?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my Millie used in September 2006 and have not had one lick of trouble with it. I even put it together all by myself with just a little help from a neighbor when I need to get the machine up on the carriage.

My biggest problem is finding time to play but I don\'t care, I still love it.

Congratulations and don\'t forget to breathe.

Thanks to all of you for the warm wishes. I now have about 10 tops to quilt, so I\'ll have lots to practice on. First though, I\'m going to JoAnn\'s and buy lots of muslin with my 40% off coupon and some of their batting with my daughter\'s coupon and I\'ll practice on that till I can get some control of the machine. I have lots of partial cones of thread to practice with. (I often buy cones to use on my domestic with a thread stand.) I also have some cheater\'s cloth to make up for donation quilts before I hit the real tops.

Me too Sandra,

I have 10 tops to quilt but purchased a slew of batting, muslin and fairly inexpensive top material when a local fabric store went out of business. Practice I will surely do when my lady is set up. Yes, my machine will be a lady and I will give her an appropriate name too!

For those who suggested I pay to set it up - you betcha. The machine I\'m getting is a barely used 2007 model. I feel truly blessed that the timing happened when it did and the machine is that NEW.

I can tell from the postings that I\'ve read for the last year, folks are very addicted to their machines and all that they can do. I need a new addiction (rather than chocolate!).

I have a trip planned for October to Germany and Austria for 2 weeks, so I won\'t be going anywhere else in the fall. There are several shows in PA that I can drive to for the day, so that\'s about it for 2008. I can\'t get to the Lancaster show which is in a few weeks, I think. But, is anyone going to the show in Hershey and/or Harrisburg, PA this year? If so, let me know and perhaps we can meet for lunch.

That said...2009 is coming and I want to go to MQX in Manchester, NH in April \'09 and perhaps I can then get to Innovations (Tacoma?) in the fall of \'09. Or, maybe Houston! It\'s a long way off, but I love to plan for fun things. Perhaps by then I\'ll have my Liberty paid off and can buy some toys:) It\'s no fun looking at the toys and not buying.

So, lets plan for getting together at some shows in 2009!

Congratulations!!!

I think it\'s a fantastic way to buy!

If there\'d been a used Freedom SR at the factory when I bought I\'d have gone that route in a heartbeat!!!

There wasn\'t so I had to go new, but what a fantastic deal you got!!!

Also, I am NOT mechanically inclined at all. Feels like a foreign language. But my 5yo DS and I put my machine tegether, with hydraulics which were the only tricky part as the instructions were no where as fabulous as the machine\'s manual, all my ourselves. My DH, who is VERY mechanical, left town for work the day before the machine was delivered and wasn\'t scheduled to be home for

2 weeks. There was NO WAY I was waiting!:P

It was really very easy, and also rewarding to say I did it myself. With a little help. :D

Welcome to the funny farm!

Don\'t you fret one little bit- You got a GREAT deal! Your 2007 is still a baby, and barely broken in! LOL!;)

The used APQS machines are always in great working order!! I would not have one single worry about buying a used machine from APQS... not one at all!! Matter of fact, it is hard to keep used APQS machines from any year in the inventory because so many people know the quality reputation of APQS with all of their machines!!

:D Relax and enjoy the wonderful longarm quilting adventure!!

Welcome to all newbies, be it new machine or new to the board, or both...

I just went thru a weekend of battle.. He finally has Penny working after a lot of huffing, and puffing and refusals to call Amy at the plant.. I love the Penny and most of the time him, too.. lol, not always..

Am suddenly doing much better on several techniques.. and find it easier to stitch on an actual top, than a plain muslin top or dry erase board.. I do use the board first, but once to a certain level, I do better when I switch to the machine with a real top. I also use the Crayola washable markers or Rose Art Washable markers to mark key points of the quilt.

Just remember, with the stitch regulator, it\'s Very Hard to break a needle.. I have turned a couple rank beginners loose on Penny, and not a problem one.. Neither had ever hand guided, nor guided the quilt thru a dsm.

I still have problems with the centers of the feathers.. think I\'ll try those without a center spine with the plumes touching it.

You will do well, just be patient and ppppppp.. Love the SR and the free flying.. :P

RitaR

Thanks Sheila, Jimmy (love the picture), Tracye, Tina and Rita. I really need your support now, as I think Laura does, too.

I am going to attempt to put the Liberty together myself, with the help of my 20 year old son (who is NOT mechanically inclined - takes after his daddy!). I did speak to my local rep, who is only about 1 hour away (lucky me) and she said if I run into problems to call her. If I really can\'t fingure it out, I can then decide to pay the $500 to have her come and assemble it for me. So, I am now less afraid of trying it myself, as I have a back-up plan. I just need to go out and buy some tools and a level. I plan to start my own tool box and keep it right by the Liberty so I can tweek as needed.

Yes, Mary Beth. I\'m open for lots of suggestions. Where is MQS? There are so many shows, I can\'t keep them all in my pea brain. I have only been to the PA shows and to Paducah last year, so I have to make a list of the other shows, dates and locations to see what I can fit into my work schedule and my budget (which just went to "hell in a hand basket." I think that is the correct expression, but it does look silly when written.

Laura and Sandra:

I purchased my Ulti 1 last fall from a guy near here... his mother had it and she had passed away.... I\'ve had some minor problems, and lots of days of "fear". I am toooo critical of my own work, and after having been shown all the "weeble - wobbles" in the photos the "professionals" put out, I finally have CONFIDANCE!!!

That makes a world of difference... I think I said on another thread that I was always really good at this sewing stuff, I could make ANYTHING, and got my machine and whoa! Down a few notches!

Now I look at it like any new job, there\'s a learning curve, and for me it seemed insurmountable. It wasn\'t. I\'m more relaxed now when I turn on the machine, I control it, not the other way \'round. I hope by this week end to show you my yellow quilt - I\'m really happy with how it\'s coming out! Yes, there are some mistakes, but I know where they are, and the non-quilters, sewers, etc. DON\'T!!! Isn\'t that just tooo kool!

So, what I\'m sayin\' is relax, practice lots and enjoy! I\'m so excited for you both!

Sandra the manual is SO organized!

They show you, right up front in the begining, A PICTURE of ALL the tools you will need w/their names and sizes! I took a copy of my picture to my DH\'s tool shed, raided it, but was unsure on a couple of wrenches so went accross the creek to his uncles big shop and showed the pic and what I had to him. I had one wrench wrong and one missing and he had sweeter levels for me to use.

Then at the beginning of each chapter/step it show a pic of the tools you\'ll use for this step.

Awesome manual for the Millie/Freedom. Hopefully the Liberty manual is at least as well written.

I too bought my machine used...almost 11 years ago...and it is still running as strong as the day I got it. Yes, I have sent it back once to have some work done on it, but that was after almost 8 years of major use and many many quilts. I couldn\'t have asked for a better company to work with, and I\'m sure that you too will be pleased.

Sandra - I didn\'t think about the space under the frame. Thanks!

Tracye - Thanks for the info about the manual. I sure hope the Liberty manual is as well written. I will need all the pictures and words they can provide.

Jeannette - I just noticed you have a Liberty. I just viewed your Liberty set-up photos on your Web Shots. Does that handsome man come to the USA to set up our machines? LOL

Bobbi and Bonnie - Thanks for the reassurance about buying a used APQS machine. I really feel confident about getting a good machine. Now my fear is my own ability, or lack of the needed skills. I know - PPP and more PPP. I\'m excited!

Originally posted by sandradarlington

.....Now my fear is my own ability, or lack of the needed skills. I know - PPP and more PPP. I\'m excited!

Hey there girlfriend, as far as I\'m concerned you have the ability! I\'ve seen you in action on my machine. You\'re natural. Get ready to take off cuz once you get it set up, you will go vrrrooom vrrrooooom on your machine. :cool:

PS: You can put it together easy peasy. If I can do it you can do it, too.

Oh and another PS: You are Nuts. I know that as a fact. ;)

Morning..you are definitely not nuts. I bought a used Milli from APQS in August. It was used at shows for approximately 6 months. I even bought a used table to save a little more!!

Well worth it..have not had any problems and am getting used to using it... Still have a lot to learn but am enjoying it.

My advice - GO FOR IT!!!!

Archived