why not?.

I hope I am not the only person who does not have extra money to go to the factory and take a maintenance class. It would be very helpful if APQS would make a DVD of all the hard stuff we would have to do. As an example timing our machines. They could charge us for the video. I know Dawn did a DVD but it is all pretty basic stuff. Why not do a more in depth one. Can someone at APQS look into this for us?.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

I received a VCR tape with maintenance stuff including timing the machine when I bought my machine 5 years ago. I received a DVD with my new machine but I haven\'t watched it so I can\'t really compare it. It doesn\'t seem like an impossible task since it has been done before.

I\'d like one of "What If\'s" like tensions.. eyelashes, birds nests on the back? it\'s usually the top tension, eyelashes on top, it\'s the bobbin tension, birds nests, and messes top and bottom and it\'s insanity time, BIG time.... Just went thru that only to find out it was the bobbin spring.. pulled them up a bit and it\'s fine.

Are just the springs available for purchase or do we have to buy the whole bobbin casing? Does anyone know?

RitaR

If anyone decides to do a DVD on the types of issues Rita proposes, I can provide samples of plenty of problems to address. I have birds nests so big an eagle can use them. I would buy the video in a heartbeat.

I would love a maintenance video from APQS too. Time is another reason that it is difficult to take the class at the factory. Time is a precious commodity.

Hay guys and gals:cool:

If you got your machine 5 years ago or more you would have been sent a VCR thing to watch, if you are 5 years or newer you got a DVD thing no CD thing to watch. The newer ones have Dawn on them plus the how to\'s and the older ones just have the how to\'s. Also you have step by step photos and how to\'s in that manual you got with your machine. If you have lost your\'s I am sure you can order a new one from APQS... not sure of the cost, but if you are better with watch and do instead of look-read and do I\'m sure it would be worth it at what ever the cost is. I know that if your machine is 8 years or older then you may not have a video or CD, for all of you I suggest a new machine LOL just kidding you can call or email and have them send you one. Hope this helps you all out:P:D;)

I got the CD with my machine in 2005. It has 2 parts to it the first part has Dawn going over the basic stuff, loading the quilt etc... and the 2nd part which focuses on the maintenance. It is very good, so far it\'s the only thing that I have ever had to reference for any problems that has come up along with the manual and this site of course.

As far as the birds nest issues the only thing that will take care of this and other tension issues is patience and tweaking to find your machines sweet spot for the various threads you are using. If you haven\'t purchased a towa gauge yet then you should, it is a wise investment and a big help in getting rid of alot of the tension issues.

I would love to see some real pictures of tension problems and suggestions on how to solve them. Top tension, bottom tension, thread laying flat on top or bottom and looping...all the common tension problems. I really don\'t know what a \'bird nest\' even is, but have probably had that happen too.

When I bought my Liberty in 2005 it came with the CD of Dawn (or was it a DVD? I had to watch it on my computer is all I know) and a video tape for maintenance. Both of them were excellent. The first time that I, or I should say, DH, timed it we watched that video several times to be sure that we knew what we were doing. The manual left a lot to be desired. But the manual that I got with my new Millie was absolutely wonderful. I believe the credit for it goes to Dawn, also.

It would be nice to have some really good pictures or even drawings of skipped stitches and tension problems. However, if you want to get a good idea of tension problems you can tighten your top tension all the way; stitch a straight line for a few inches and then some loops. On the next line loosen the tension a half turn and repeat the straight line and loops. Continue to do this until you have no tension on the top thread. You\'ll see it go from railroad tracks on the top and lots of breakage to smooth tension somewhere in the middle and then to railroad tracks on the bottom with lots of breakage. I had to do that a couple of years ago when I was having a lot of problems which turned out to be a combination of timing and tension. I know I longed for pictures of tension problems that would have the solution printed under the picture back then.

Great suggestions, everyone! We\'ll see what we can do!

It\'s one of my top goals as the "education director" to make those "life lessons" easy to understand, and videos are a great way to do that. Now that technology is making it much simpler for us to do videos and the like, keep your eyes open for more exciting ways to learn how to make your machine sing!

I am considering a longarm and I can\'t get my hands on ANY USEFUL INTRO videos...the "choosing a quilting machine" on the APQS website does not seem to be working, although the others are working. There is no dealer/showroom close to where I live. Where can I get a video? Thanks, all!

DMS,

I agree with Mary Beth, if you tell us where you\'re at we can probably tell you who\'s close by with a machine or two. If there is a sales rep close by, they will have info that can be sent to you including a CD/DVD to watch. If you\'re worried about being hassled or getting a pushy sales reps, you can stop worring, APQS reps are not. If you\'ve watched the forum you\'ll see everyone is welcome and helped no matter what machine or subject. Welcome!

Originally posted by Mary Beth

DMS,

If you could tell us what city you are near or area someone might be close to you and could show you thier machine. At least it would give you an idea. Just a suggestion. The DVD from APQS that Dawn told you about will be very helpful.

I am in Augusta, GA...within 3 hours of Atlanta, Savannah, or Charleston, NC.

You may have already looked at the dealer page, but there are dealers in MdDonough, GA. - Atlanta area and 3 dearlers in the North Carolina area, but I don\'t know how close they are to you. Maybe someone here will see your post and contact you. I hope you do find someone to show you these machines, there must be someone close to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Sue.........love your pic and your baby blues match that beautiful quilt in the background too. If there isn't anyone wanting to claim that quilt......send it my way......it's beautiful and I love the colors they used.

Renae

Archived