Tea Cup Quilt

I have been working on this quilt off and on for about 3 years. The embroidery is done by hand and it took any where from 2 to 3 hours per cup. I went a little crazy with the stitch length. The stitches are quite small so the curves of the flowers and cups would be smooth.

I haven\'t yet decided on how to quilt it. That may just happen when I get it loaded on the machine. Any ideas would be great. Definitely custom heirloom work on this quilt.

Cheryl

<a  href=2501885710101443422S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

2420027900101443422S425x425Q85.jpg

2174269620101443422S425x425Q85.jpg

2969565710101443422S425x425Q85.jpg

2088856590101443422S425x425Q85.jpg

Cheryl, what a delicate quilt! I have a redwork quilt to do and have been putting it off not knowing what to do around the embroidery.

There was a thread a while ago about whether to quilt over the embroidery or not (can\'t find it). My own instinct is to outline the block and maybe outline the embroidery. I think quilting over the embroidery is a bit risky - could snag the handstitching. Also I think it would compete with the embroidery.

As for the rest of the quilt, I\'d go lightly on the quilting as there is a lot of floral fabric that just won\'t show any intricate patterns.

Like you, happy to hear any suggestions.

Judy

Both very good ideas. I don\'t know if I would ever get the hand quilting done in the background:) if I were to choose that idea. I still have some quilts from 20 years ago that I haven\'t finished hand quilting (they are going on the Millie eventually:P)

Judy...on my own quilts I will not stitch over the embroidery...but if a customer wanted it done that way it would be their choice. I have done it...it looks fine, but I won\'t do that on either this one or the redwork quilt I am working on.

Cheryl

Cheryl, About a week or so ago, there was the quilt picture posted with the rope, boots, horse shoe motif\'s and a cowboy in the lower right hand corner. I can\'t remember the name of the thread or who posted it, but whoever she was did something that could really look pretty on the tea cup blocks. She cross hatched, but let them fade in and out, so you could do that in the corners of the blocks with some of the lines going longer than others, some shorter. I\'m not sure I\'m making this very clear, but if you were going to cross hatch the print background fabric, you could extend those lines just into the tea cup blocks and so they would help anchor them, but not go thru the hand work. Just an idea and probably only worth $.02.

Hi Cheryl,

I\'ve embroidered these same blocks, bought the fabric, picked out the pattern and they\'re still sitting in the UFO pile! I\'ll be watching to see what you do with yours. Maybe then I\'ll get inspired.

What is it about my own quilts?! I get a mental block about how to quilt them. NO problem at all on anyone else\'s quilts, but my own? NO IDEA! :o

I\'ll check out your pictures Jeanne...I know I looked at them, but I am having a senior moment. Thank you for the suggestion, Patty Jo.

Darlene...I know what you mean about it being easier to decide how to a customer vs your own. I have that problem too.

Cheryl

Your quilt is so delicate! The work is beautiful! I like the idea of crosshatching extending into the blocks, but at random links just to the embroidery work. Anxious to see your finished quilt! I\'m conisdering beginning a quilt that combines applique and piecing--bought it 10 years ago. In the pictures that\'s how it\'s quilted around the applique work--crosshatching to a line they\'ve probably drawn on the quilt for quilting purposes--1/2" or so from the applique work. Be sure and post your finished pictures! Jane

What a lovely quilt. I have those tea cup patterns, but haven\'t even started the embroidery. I wonder how it would look if you microstippled the teacups and then did a cross hatch for the background. Don\'t forget to show us when its completed!

Marlene in Tahoe

Very delicate and pretty. Please post pics when it\'s finished! I just did a teapot embroidered quilt. It\'s just a small wallhanging, but sure made me want to do one of my own. I just stippled around the teapots and did a 1/2 in crosshatch in the borders because that\'s what the customer wanted. I went around the teapots and followed some of the bands in the teapots to hide the stitching. They were a little too big to leave completely unquilted, but I hid it really good!:P

Archived