I'm interested in buying a APQS-want honest opinions.

Heather,

I bought a cheaper machine because I was afraid of the "big" ones. After a year I sold it and bought the Millenium. I don't know what I was afraid of. You have the experience working with a longarm, so I doubt that you would have any problems.

EVERYONE who responded gave you great advice. I've only had my machine one year. The only problem I had, was when I began to use different thread types together. I NEVER, knock on wood, have problems with so fine in the top and bottom line in the bottom. But I wanted to use King Tut. With practice, I've learned to adjust the tenison with so fine or bottom line in the bottom. Then I tried Metro thread.

And Lynn is correct. I've seen beautiful stitches on the top or bottom, but not on both sides with some other machines. I hope you live near one of these ladies so you can spend time working with the machine and you'll see how wonderful it is.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I owned a Gammill for 5 years before I made the switch to APQS ... it was the best decision I ever made! The machine stitches are impeccible ... no tension issues!! Will handle any type of thread I feed it. The quilts load on beautifully, you can pull a chair up and sit underneath the table to this machine if you so desire. Best of all ... the customer service from APQS is amazing ... their staff is AMAZING ... the everyone who's on the forum is AMAZING!!! As they say in the Nike world ... just do it! :D

Hello Everyone , Like Heather am looking for a new machine . I have been quilting for a bout four years now and needed something that had quality stitches and a great customer service ... : I have been reading all the forms from this site and it seems everyone is really happy with what they have . I cannot wait to be part of the family of quilters here . So tomorrow I will call and hope to make the long drive up to the plant this week to pick out my new machine ... please wish me luck as this is a big deal for me .

This is for Heather and p akers. From my experience, the customer service has been excellent. I just recieved my new Lenni this week and have been extremely pleased with the entire purchase process. Everyone from Gretchen my sales rep to Heidi Kaisand at APQS they were great to work with. I don't think you will be disappointed.

P akers,

We will welcome you to the family with open arms! However, you really don't have to drive all the way to Carroll to the factory to see he APQS machines. Our showroom in Des Moines will be much closer for you and will give you the opportunity to try a Lenni, Freedom or Millennium:)

Give us a call and let us know when you expect to arrive and we'll throw on a pot of coffee and roll out the red carpet!

Good Morning , Well I just had to tell all of you... that this morning I called and talked with **Mark**(what a nice guy to talk with ). I will be getting my new Freedom SR soon , maybe in two weeks I hope :) . I have worried and prayed about this for some time and from this form made my choice,plus I have a friend that has this machine also ,we just don't live close to each other . Is there someone out there that lives close to Chillicothe Missouri..???:) Would love to have another long arm quilter to get with from time to time that has a APQS. Well I need to come down to earth and get some things ready for the new baby ....;)lol Thanks to all of you and have a great day ..Pat

• 1 year later...

I love my Millennium 2009, and use it a lot. I would say it is great and has not had those types of problems with stitching so, I am happy. Occasionally, I have threaded it wrong and found a problem, but that was operator error.

Karen Wheeler

APQS Representative San Francisco Area

Feathers & Loops Quilting

Update

I'm so glad you chose an APQS, and doubt you'll have big problems with it.

I've had the Lenni about 4 years and love My Lenni Penny.. the only problems I've had were largely created by someone trying to fix something that wasn't broken. He hasn't done that for quite a while..

We did have to call the repair clinic and got help right away.

The whole crew, including Mark, ( He tells terrible jokes! :D ) are wonderful to work with and are just in general Very Good Folks.

I forgot to say we have to get new boards for Penny. Himself immediately killed the first one, so they sent another one.

Can't beat that.

:(

Rita

APQS is widely known for the highest quality stitches and the best, most personal and immediate customer service. The worst thing that has ever happened to me is knocking my machine out of timing -- this happened more when I was a newbie, very seldom happens now. My favorite part of using an APQS is the pushbutton operations at my fingertips and the Bliss wheel and track system.

Originally posted by RitaR

.. the only problems I've had were largely created by someone trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

Rita

:P:P Something similar happened to me, but I was the culprit 'repair person'. I did have to send it to the shop as we couldn't fix it over the phone (although Amy and Dawn did their best to help and we were on the phone for hours). She came back better than ever! She ('Lady') is a Green Millenium which I've had for 3 years now and love her, love her!

One thing nobody mentioned is that you will have an option for either an L or M bobbin. You should discuss this with Dawn or one of the sales reps. Most of us have the L bobbin because the M option is very new. It is my understanding that the L bobbin is still the one to go with for the best stitch quality. But again, make sure you discuss this fully with a rep.

Yes Caroline and those that may be curious, most of you probably already know this info . The L bobbin is still the best stitch quality. We now offer the M bobbin and APQS is saying for those that just want to do all over panto like quilting the M is good. But for more custom detailed work the L is still the bobbin to have. For those that want to switch you will need to send your machine into the factory to have it done. I love my APQS machine!

I purchased my APQS machine after test driving every machine; long and mid; on the market 2 years ago. Funny, but one of my former longarmers had a top of the line Gammill and her stitch quality was so bad it was the reason I decided to buy my own machine. APQS machines won hands down.

My first machine was a Gammill...I never had really good stitch quality. I bought my first APQS in 2005, three months after the Gammill. Upgraded to a Freedom SR last January for some of the new features. I have never looked back or wanted another brand of machine.

Guest Linda S

Can someone tell me why these ancient posts come up to the top like this? If someone has a question about APQS quality, can they not start a current post and ask? This thread is full of old information on machines available, etc., and it's really confusing when a year-old post shows up for no apparent reason. I'm getting old and confused enough as it is! ;)

The eight year warranty was a huge selling point for me when we chose my APQS machine. If they were willing to stand behind their machines for 8 years, they are confident of the quality and reliability of their product. You will not be sorry.

Just thinking----- If you have decided to buy your APQS machine and are just going to the roadshow for fun, why not contact your closest APQS sales Rep and purchase your machine thru her/them. You will benefit from a closer contact and we do work on commission!!! Machines bought thru the APQS ioffices do not earn any sales rep a commission.

:)

Deb, you beat me to it. I was wondering the same thing. I love APQS and the support staff, but that is exactly what I think of them, as support to the best machine on the market. You don't go to the Ford factory to buy a truck and you don't go to the Bernina factory to buy a DSM. You go to an authorized dealer, buy the item and get the service from them. Frankly I am surprised the mother ship would compete with their dealers in this horrible economy. And please, most of you know I do not mean this in any kind of negative way. Even though it is an old post, it still brings up the thought that has crossed my mind everytime I see that another person has bought from Iowa. Who is going to actually come to your home and service your machine? Dawn, Mark, Heidi? More likely Katy, Deb, Myrna, Barb...etc. AGAIN NO OFFENSE is meant. Just food for thought. If you were getting a better deal I could understand it, but the price is the same. Ok i will go back to my corner now.....:cool::cool:

Hi Nancy Jo! You brought up a good point about buying from a dealer. I bought at a road show and there were two Reps there. I was never told whether either of them received a commission from my sale that day. I don't know how that all works. But I will say that neither Rep ever contacted me--not to offer a beginner lesson or ask how things were going. That was in 2004 so I bet things are a bit different now.

Archived