My 21 Year old Grandson makes his 1st quilt

My grandson Ian has a friend that was hit twice by a car and has had over 25 hours of surgery and is still in the hospital and miles away across the country. I told Ian I knew he really wanted to do something special for his friend. I suggested a quilt. He was not to happy with that idea but said okay. So I had a jelly roll I bought several years ago that had the most wonderful colors. Asked Ian what his friend's favorite color was and what he liked. Answers were green and music. I was able to find the perfect fabric online and ordered it. Ian came over and he completed his part of the quilt in two afternoons of sewing. Remember he had never touched a sewing machine! I added the border and quilted it for him and of course did the binding too. Here is the quilt and it will go in the mail tomorrow!!!!

8411638999_48096679fc.jpg8412737324_042d7a95fd.jpg

002 by delld1964, on Flickr

001 by delld1964, on Flickr

That's what good guys do when they have an awesome grandmother to teach them. Now he knows the time and effort and care that goes into the gift of a quilt. He knows his friend is getting a special gift from the heart! What a great job he (and his grand) did on this quilt and how special it will be for the friend. Good job Dell!

Dell,

tell your grandson he did a fabulous job! I love the quilting! I see a repeat so I'm assuming this is a panto? Would you share the name of it?

Thank you everyone!!!! i will Ian to read all your wonderful comments!

The Panto is Study in C By Lorien Quilting printed by Willow Leaf Studio. I went and tried to find it there and it didn't come up. Maybe someone knows where it can be purchased.

Here are the music related ones I did find! http://www.willowlea...y=music&x=0&y=0

Found it!!! http://www.sewthankful.com/Study-in-C-quilting-pantograph-pattern-Lorien-Quilting.html

I like the easy and very pretty quilt and the panto is perfect for a fisherman.

What a thoughtful grandson you have, and what a great Grandma role model you are, Dell!

Oops, I replied to both your quilts at once. This one has the great musical panto, love that!

Your next post has the equally pretty pattern by Mary with the fish!

I guess I should go to bed.......

Suggesting that one of my 20-something yr old sons sew a quilt would have been the furthest thing from my mind! Good for you for even thinking of the idea, and kudos to your grandson on an amazing first try! I hope he's super proud of himself.... he should be! Love the colors and the panto is perfect for it! What a special gramma you are! And what a lucky young man to have you in his life ;)

Thank you everyone for your very wonderful comments. I shared all with Ian and he is so very proud! He showed it to his mom last night and she loved it too. The quilt has been mailed and I can't wait for it to arrive! There is going to be one surprised guy!

Nice job your grandson did, Dell! I just love it when boys are man enough to do things considered a "woman's job." You have a fine young man, there. :)

Thank you Bonnie. I'm so proud of him! He helped me all day packing off my junk today to take to storage for a month. Love that kid!!!!

Archived