Need some ideas on this one

Hello!

I need some ideas.

My name is Laura and this is my first post. You all are so generous with your ideas and I hope you can give me a hand.

A customer brought me this quilt. The clamshell piecing gives this quilt such great texture, and I don't want to lose that. It looks like fish scales. Any ideas that will enhance the texture?

Thanks for any help.

post--13461900545642_thumb.jpg

It is a great pattern - but very busy. I think I would look for a soft swirling overall that relates in pattern sized to the pattern of the quilt. Let the quilt speak for itself. Then I would do a border that relates. Maybe some minimal feathers in each of the clamshells and then a feather border. It would be a lot of work and not sure how much time you want to spend. Is there a clamshell ruler that matches up to the pattern - would go a little quicker then.

Love the white to blue to purple. Really eye-catching!

How about clam shells with a design inside each shell?

Maybe a little swirl up the middle of each shell or tufts of grass from the side of each shell or a little feather up the middle of each shell. The possibilities are endless. I think Deloa Jones has some stuff on her web site for different ways to do clam shells and I think she posted something here recently regarding some clam shell stencils.

Debbi

My first thought was to do a clamshell pattern right on the lines of the quilt.... a sort of SID. Very effective but a PITA since it would be difficult (I think) to exactly match the size.

So, what I would probably do is a small squiggly line along the seams replicating a clamshell pattern/SID but way easier.

Does that make sense? It would be beautiful and fast. Then, I would do something leafy or feathery in the border.

I wish I had a drawing tablet so I could show what I mean ;)

Instead of trying to SID each clam shell exactly, how about using a circle template that is about 1/4 inch larger or smaller than the clamshell? The would have the effect of outlining each clamshell and would be faster than trying to SID.

Or maybe offset the clam shells you are stitching from the pieces shells so it looks like overlapping clam shells? Just an idea. I'm not sure how this would look. I would first draw over the quilt on some plastic before attempting this to see if you like it and it looks ok.

Debbi

My first thought was CL Swirls or something like it. I know not everyone has the CL. I think clamshells would be too much clam in one quilt. Besides, that is a lot of SID or detail and I think it could get lost since the fabric is so busy.

So....I say all of that to say this....something swirly would be good :)

Hi Laura,

How about the clamshell pattern we digitized based on Claudia Pfeil's award winning Paradise quilt?

It's a very intricate pattern, outer shape is a clamshell, inner shapes are Claudia style feathers and swirls. If you use that pattern over 6 or 7 rows of patches of the quilt, it might look perfect :)

The pattern is from http://www.longarmpatterns.com

Click on Patterns, click on Designs by Claudia Pfeil

It's called ClaudiaMakingWaves.

Below is a preview projected on your quilt.

Loes

post--13461900546683_thumb.jpg

I agree with Mary Beth, clam shells would be too much clam! I think a nice over all water-look over the clams would be perfect. After all, clams live in the water, right?! Then something else in the border, feathers, swirls, or ???

Have fun with this one, but don't get to busy, as it would hide the piecing and the piecing is exquisite.

Archived