Bill's "Bug" Quilt

Hello to all. I want to post a picture of the quilt that is now on Bill's hospice bed that we have. This is one that I made way before my Millie arrived and was my very first attempt at freemotion quilting - It is from the quilt pattern Buggies #801, by Joni Pike. I gave it to him for Fathers Day 2003. When I started the quilt we had a cute little red bug in the garage, but by the time I finished it, he had sold that car and moved on to another.....such is the ways of a car guy!

2461439690094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Now those are the kind of bugs that I like. Brings back great memories of the 70's during the gas shortages, anyone remember that, we traded in a Chrysler New Yorker with a 4 barrel for a VW Bug. It was bright orange and I learned how to drive a stick shift on that little car. Thanks Patty Jo for a trip down memory lane. I know Bill must love that quilt too. We are praying for all of your and yours. May the Lord bless and keep you through this journey. Jeanne

I'm sorry to get so technical, but how is it pieced? Are all the tires, license plate, headlights, bumpers, etc. separate pieces? Then you quilted in the details like hood outline, window? OR are the bugs one piece panel-like applique? I Googled Joni Pike and that pattern must be out of date. I like the way the license plates are in different places. Too cute!

On the lighter side--THOSE are the best kind of "bed" bugs to have!:P:P:P:P

Boni - I did this 5 years ago and without draging the pattern down from the upper cabinets, I think that they are solid pieces fused, but you cut a pattern to draw a line on the fused piece and then I did a satin stitch on the line. If you notice some cars are going away from you and the others are coming toward you. Also, I made each license plate say something different. One that was a shop sample when I bought this pattern had a driver behind the wheel. That was cute too, but I passed on that part. Anyway, I hope that helps. :cool:

Thanks Patty Jo for pointing out the fact that some are going and some are coming. Now I see the red tail lights and the white head lights. That's why the license plates are different. WAY too cute. What is the one that looks like it is behind bars?

Putting a driver behind the wheel would be humorous--Oh, the possibilities--a dog, a cat, etc...

This is one pattern that should be revived and brought back on the market.

What did you use to write on the license plates? Micron markers, or fussy cut? or embroidery?

Loving it...

That was back in the day where I used what I had, so it was probably a "Laundry Marker" to print the license plate. And the car behind bars??? - it was just the fabric that I cut out for the body of the Bug. It is brights and the Blue wiggly stripe is what looks like the bars. Yes, I agree, this pattern should have a rebirth onto the market. :cool:

My mom recently finished a similar quilt for her grandson (my nephew) I got to quilt it, and it was great fun.

If you need details on the pattern, it shouldn't be buried to far down at mom's house. Let me know if you are interested in further details, and I'll track down the pattern.

Patty Jo, that's a cool warmer - sorry for the oxymoron - and I'm sure Bill enjoys it greatly. My cousin had a bug when we were in college and your quilt brought back some wonderful memories of wild times (which I'm sure Margie would rather were forgotten).

I hope our letters and thoughts are some comfort to you. I'm sure we can't know exactly how you feel, but Margie and I are praying for you.

mrmargie

Patty Jo, I don't want to take away from the sentiments of your quilt for Bill. I realize it is very special to you both. I can sense the memories you are sharing and your gift to each other of time and talent and love. You are truly spending some precious moments together right now.

If you don't have time for this, put me on the back burner. I really appreciate you posting the picture. It has inspired me passionately. The one thing we have in common--quilting, and sharing that passion is a way to connect with each other.

(((((HUGS))))))) and prayers. . .

How does this compare to your pattern? I don't have dimensions, or proportions, but it doesn't look too bad.

I think I could make one from this drawing.

"VW

Archived