NQR - Snacks for stress

I like Mary Beth's idea of marshmallow creme and peanut butter and will have to try it.

My "make do" snack when nothing else is available is "fake smorz." (sp?) I lavishly butter (must be real butter!) graham crackers and put on chocolate chips; serve with a glass of milk. It works temporarily. I don't keep marshmallow creme on hand, but wow!

Ann

I am shocked that you do not keep a full stock of marshmallow creme in your house... it is a main food staple here and is just awesome when combined with Rolo ice cream, bananas, peanuts, hot fudge and whip cream... served with a steaming cup of fresh brewed coffee... if you do not like peanuts... try crushed oreo or dad's choc. chip cookies to add a crunch!!!:P

Your good...its only last a day here....there are so many things that we make out of it...my fav is Rice Chispy cookies....I don't bother with marshy mellow....I just melt this stuff and the cookies stay really sticky and gooey....but then those don't last long enough to get dry.

Kenna you are funny! I guess I'm just going to need to do my Christmas baking and get it out of my system. I need to bake for Thanksgiving first and I have to make a mock wedding cake for then too. My son and future DIL are coming up and it will be the time to test the cake theory. I think I'll be doing a lot of baking. I just hope I can keep it off the lips so it stays off the hips!

I was trying out a new recipe. It is from the magazine, currently on the news stand, from Tauton Press, "Fine Cooking". It is called Cookies and the cover is white with a pile of linzer cookies on the front. I have tried 3 recipes from this magazine and highly recommend it if you are a cookie fan. It is expensive ($9.95)...but worth very recipe so far. I also made Lemon Lime Butter wafers...OMG...talk about yummy! and the gingersnaps...awesome!

The basic recipe is for a chocolate brownie with Port-soaked cherries add and a Port-Ganache Topping.

Rich & Fudgy Brownies

1/2 lb (1 C) unsalted butter

3 oz (2/3 C) unbleached flour

2 cups sugar

4 large eggs, at room temperature

1/2 tsp vanilla

2 1/2 oz (3/4 C) unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking powder

Port-soaked dried cherries (optional)

Port-ganache topping (optional)

Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 inch square metal baking pan.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over med. heat. Remove the pan from the heat. Whisk or stir in the sugar followed by all the 4 eggs ant the vanilla. Stir in the flour, cocoa, baking powder. Start slowly to keep ingredients from flying out of pan and stirring more vigorously as you go. Stir until the batter is smooth and uniform, about 1 minute. If you're using the port-soaked cherries, stir them in at this time along with any remaining liquid from the saucepan.

Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan, smoothing it so it fills the pan evenly. Bake until ta toothpick or a skewer inserted 3/4 inch into the center of the brownies comes out with just a few moist clumps clinging to it about 40 minutes. Let brownies cool completely in the pan on a rack.

If you are topping the brownies with the ganache, spread it evenly over the cooled brownies and give the ganache about an hour to set (it will still be quite soft and gooey). Cut into 16 squares. Keep the brownies for up to three days at room temperature, well wrapped. You can freeze them, too, for up to a month.

Port-Soaked Cherries

1/2 c dried cherries, very coarsely chopped (or whole dried cranberries)

1/3 c tawny port

In a small saucepan, bring the cherries and port to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and let cool to room temp.

Port Ganache Topping

1/2 cup tawny port

1/2 cup heavy cream

6 oz (1 Cup) semisweet chocolate, finely chopped

In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the port to a boil. Boil until the port is reduced to 2 TBSP, 3 to 6 minutes. Pour it into a small cup or bowl. Thoroughly rinse the pan. Bring the cream to a boil in the pan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Take the pan off the heat. Stir in the chopped chocolate and reduced port until the mixture is smooth and the chocolate is melted.

Pour the ganache into a bowl and cover the surface with plastic to prevent a skin from forming. Put the bowl in a cool part of the kitchen and let it cool to room temp, stirring occasionally. When it's cool, spread it over the brownies as directed in the recipe.

Enjoy!

Cheryl

OK OK

This is top secret!!!!

For Longarm Quilters Eyes Only!!!!!;)

For all of you worried about eating foods that add extra pounds to the parts that you really don't want to add extra pounds to, here is the secret that I live by.... Are you ready?... Promise not to tell??... OK here goes... If you don't use a napkin, you won't gain any wieght, if you and a friend eat equal amounts niether of you will gain any wieght (even if you use a napkin) and if no one sees you eat it.... it's like it never happened. So with this secret out...

All I can say is ENJOY AND GIVE IN TO TEMPTAION !!!!:P

Sue....my father had a better way of doing it. He was a very skinny man dripping wet about 135 and 5'11" my mom was 5'3" and at her heavest almost 400 pounds.....

daddy loved momma very much and it didn't make any difference if she was skinny or huge....so he would tell her that if she ate really slow and smashed all the calories and killed them then she wouldn't gain any weight.... I keep trying this metod, but so far either I'm not killing them or it just doesn't work, haven't decided which yet.;):P:(

Sue, it's true, it's true!!

"If you don't use a napkin, you won't gain any wieght, if you and a friend eat equal amounts niether of you will gain any wieght (even if you use a napkin) and if no one sees you eat it.... it's like it never happened. So with this secret out... "

It works, my two kids eat like no tomorrow, never use a napkin (just look at the floor!) and are thin as sticks! Now, if it only worked for me I could eat endless desserts too!!!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW New Jersey

Ok, here's my treat...caramel rice cake with peanut butter on top followed by a sprinkling of chocolate chips. Surely, it has to be better than a candy bar? Unless, you slather on the peanut butter and put on so many chocolate chips you can't even SEE the peanut butter. And then if you are really worried, remember Sue's napkin secret.

BYW, Sue, I love the way you think. I sure hope I can take one of your classes sometime. ;)

You all just had to start a food chat. I'm currently on an elimination diet (due to food allergies) so snacking is limited to fruit. I have found that Asian Pears are delicious. January 1st can't come soon enough...I can start slowly adding back foods to see what triggers the problems. Somebody have something rich, gooey and chocolate covered for me please. LOL

Archived