a handy trick/tip

Your ideas and designs are great. Do you have an art backround? It looks so easy but I get the quilt in front of me and my mind goes blank. I think I will try your idea of auditioning a design on mylar. Thank you so much for sharing. The people on this forum are so generous with help and ideas.

Charlotte

Great ideas! I use that clear plastic as well but I also have another idea that helps me when I am trying to decide what to do on a quilt...I take a digital photo of the whole quilt and then print it out and slip it into a clear page protector. I then doodle with a dry erase pen until I know what I want to quilt. This does two things for me, one - I can take the paper out and then see whether my quilting will be spaced consistantly throughout the quilt, and two, it gives me something to refer to while I am quilting so that I don't get stuck halfway wondering what I did at the top or in the border at the top... I recently had a 20 block sampler quilt and this was nice to have while I worked through it.

Vicki

All great ideas!!! Shannon I would love to see all of that quilt after you quilt it - such pretty fabrics!!! :cool::cool:

Vicki - How smart you are! I can not tell you how many times I have rolled back a quilt to see what I did at the top!!! :o

I do have a big chunk of acrylic that I can sit over my rollers or on the quilt, but it is a bit heavy. I also have all of the clear mylar plastic that used to be on the back of my machine. I put on one of those grid pieces, and saved the rolls I took off for templates and such.

I actually use Lexan, it is a polycarbonate product or plexiglass, I was introduced to this when I took classes from Cindy Roth of Longarm University in 1997. I use dry erase pen and really you have to be very careful and mark the top of the glass so it wont stain the quilt top. I love it, DH ordered it, sorry I dont know where he got it, just google it and you will find different resources.

Corey

Yes if you leave it on a couple of days it might be hard to remove. I don't usually leave it on that long. Alcohol is probably your best bet. Or use they wet erase marker but be sure it not to wipe them off while it is on your quilt. I use the picnic covering in classes all the time. In my studio when trying out designs I use the floralphane and a sharpie(being very careful to tap my perimeters)

Doodlebug! Your design is wonderful--I've been using the floral film for a year or so--with dry erase marker and blue painter's tape for a frame--I love your name! I grew up in a tiny town in SW Kansas...and we had a train that ran between my dad's hometown and my mom's hometown, Ashland and Protection. It was called the Doodlebug! So, Doodlebug, thanks for all the info--and the pot you stirred with even more ideas! Jane

I really like this idea as a way to show customers what I can see. I'm getting better at describing things but...

BTW Myrna, there are pictures up on my blog of what your DVD caused :)

http://ferfab.blogspot.com/2009/01/customer-quilt.html

I'm not sure I should do customer work right after a dvd like that, I'm too inspired. Maybe they should carry warnings :)

Ferret

another idea that I do and I was using it last night......

Using wax paper laying it over my Circle Lord Clam Shell template, I draw the quilting lines with a marker. Marking only one curve set, flipping it over, marking another here and there..... I play with the shapes and can lay it over my quilt and decide what to do. (Is it called Shiscko? or something like that....)

In this case, I am piecing the quilt and was trying to figure-out how wide I want to make / cut my outer border. I want this design to fit right in there....

Archived