a handy trick/tip

i do all free motion quilting and when i'm explaining to a customer my ideas they always have trouble seeing what i see, so this is my solution:

i have that mylar template plastic that you can iron without warping (well it DOES warp) and i put masking tape around the edges. when a customer and I are discussing quilting designs, i pull one out and draw right on it with it laying on the quilt so the cust can see exactly what my idea is. also, when i'm adutioning ideas i can see what they look like directly on the quilt without having to frog any stitching.

a word of caution: make sure you always draw on the same side. the dry earse dust can transfer. so in the corner of the sheet i put a little star so i know what side is 'up' . then when you're done, wipe it off with a scrap of batting.

A picture is worth a 1000 words:

post--13461900818872_thumb.jpg

That is a great idea. I do almost the same thing...great minds think alike:)

I had to cut my pattern grid down because I have an 11 foot frame, so I use the extra piece to do the exact same thing. I am using "wet erase" markers, as they do not have the dust. I just spray them with water and wipe with a paper towel to clean them. There is no dust. Also, the Pattern Grid piece has a grid to help with lining up the design.

I think I will use your idea and put masking tape around my edges, too.

Shannon, what a great idea. I'm with the other Linda, where did you buy the mylar?

when i'm adutioning ideas i can see what they look like directly on the quilt without having to frog any stitching.

and without having to remove chalk. I use school chalk alot. It comes out by rubbing the fabric with other fabric, but it does slow down the creative process. I love your idea. Thanks so much for sharing with the photos too.

here's the kind i used:

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/notions_display.asp?i=2089

the 'frame' is the masking tape. we have a SchoolBox store in marietta GA and they have different colors of masking tape. i chose orange for it's visibility. make sure it's the smooth kind of mylar, the slight roughness of the other kinds won;t let the dry erase be erased.

post--13461900819093_thumb.jpg

Great ideas! When I was taking classes from Myrna Ficken last year she showed me how she uses floralthane (the stuff the florists wrap flowers in) and it's nearly a yard wide! She buys it by the roll. It's huge. You can roll a giant piece of it out over the entire quilt and audition quilting designs.

One note of caution, however, be sure you do not go off the floralthane with your dry erase or wet erase markers because if it gets on the quilt top's fabric you can not get it out.

Keep these great ideas coming. I love hearing great tips!

OK speaking of tips: I don't do pantos very often but this weekend I did a few and you know it really sucks when you are quilting away on the panto and realize that about a yard ago your ran out of bobbin but continued to quilt? Well, this is what I did and it works! We all have peripheral vision so while I'm looking down at the pantograph and quilting, at the same time, I train my right eye's peripheral to keep a look at the thread spooling off the cone and if it stops spooling then I know I've run out of bobbin thread. It works wonders!

I use a clear acrylic sheet - $5 at Home Depot or Lowes - wrapped the edge in blue painter's tape, wrote "front" on the edge of the tape. I use it just like the rest of the ladies - audition designs for customers, practice new designs, etc.

But another tip: when I come up with a design I like, I either take the board down to my studio with me and prop it behind my work table, or I lay it up against a white wall and take a digital photo of the design - that way I have it archived and can print it off on paper for later use or practice.

Hi,

I like your ideas, I also do the same but got a yard of plastic laminated at a local office depot, cost about $4.00 and put blue tape around the edges...also love to use it to see what looks good on a quilt before I start the stitching... I use the dry erase markers too and they just wipe off with a paper towel or dry erase eraser...

Vicki

I use Quilter's Preview Paper to audition different designs on quilts to show my customers just what I have in mind to do. It is clear and comes on a roll......20" wide by 25' long so you can cut a piece any size you need. It is only $9.95 a roll and I use my dry erase on it so there is no powder residue. It also has a blue trim on 2 sides so you just have to put painters tape on the other 2 sides to keep from going off the edge. I have been using it for 2 yrs. and just now bought my second roll. I love it and my customers do to.

Renae Gamel

Thanks for the great ideas! I aspire to be more "free" with freehand quilting. Pantos, no problem. But freehand, that's another matter. It's not so much doing it, it's coming up with the designs, especially if it's putting something different in various places. If I can do the same design all over the quilt, no problem. But that custom designing is not there yet. But, I am definitely saving this very good idea. Thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...

Hi y'all!

I usually just lurk, but these ideas are just too wonderful; not to comment!

I have just this week put in my order for a new Millenium! Yahoo!!Finally, after playing with the idea for 2 or 3 years! I finally 'bit the bullet", as they say.

And may I say all you people are great? Ok I said it!

I can get over the warmth and friendly vibes that come throughNot to mention all the FREE advise. I mean, you could charge for all this stuff!!

:P:P

Love you all

Archived