Try and post photos on a new post

Hi everyone

We are now officially on cyclone watch, it is expected to cross the coast somewhere near here about 6 tomorrow morning.

We have had 38 inches of rain in January so more rain we do not need. The wind has just started to pick up so I guess not much sleep tonight.

The water is being turned off in the next 2 hours so buckets and kettles are filled. Don't know if we will lose power at this stage but we are ready with candles and torches.

Computers and everything non essential are being turned off and unplugged at this moment so hope to talk to everyone soon

Lets hope its not a bad one !!!!!!

Our thoughts are with you Karen. Looks like it Cyclone Ellie will hit sometime tomorrow or early on Tuesday.

Isn't amazing that on our continent, the north is having so much rain and flooding and the southern states are going through the worst heat wave in many, many years with lots of Fires and loss of lives through heat stress!

Stay put and safe!

Regards,

Thank you all so much for your prayers, cyclone Ellie hit further north than expected but we are now on flood watch. I just ventured to the supermarket and the town is almost shut down, schools are closed and people are stocking up on essentials.

We are expecting flood waters to peak at 14 metres, which is over 40 inches. I am fine where I live, I just won't be able to go anywhere.

Thank goodness I have my hand sewing

I almost got bogged in my front yard this morning as my feet sank into the mud, not a pretty sight.

Will keep you posted

Hi Karen,

If the floodwaters are rising to 14 meters, we will have to get you an Arc!!!!!!!!! .......... at 1.4m, we will just need to get you those big all-in-one plastic pants that Fly fishermen use!!;)

Glad to see that Ellie just seems to have turned into a really bad storm and not intensified, considering it wasn't supposed to hit until later today!!.

Having lived in Townsville, I know that some of the costal areas are really prone to flooding. Geoff was involved with setting up the response to disaster organisations with QLD Govt and Cairns would be a bad place to be, if there is a storm, huge winds, flood waters from inland and high tide all converging at the same time.

Keep high and dry and safe. :cool:

Regards,

It is now 8pm Monday evening and there is floodwater through our town, the highway is cut for north and south bound traffic with almost 6 feet over the road in places. In the past 24 hours we have had 12 inches of rain and it is still raining.

Our next worry is the rain that has fallen north of us is now making its way down through the river system and our river will burst its bank around midnight tonight or early hours or tomorrow morning. Then we are in for major flooding. Local businesses have sandbagged just in case.

I wish I could send some south for you girls

We are just hoping that Ellie stays out at sea and does not reform and head back to land.

Think we are in for another sleepless night.

Hope to talk to you tomorrow

Please stay safe Karen! Flood waters are nothing to mess with. We get flooding in Houston quite frequently, several times a year. It's usually just the roadsand not in homes so much. But it's amazing how people seem determined that their cars can just float through!

Archived