Help with drunkard's path raffle

The Lamp is in a great place, isn't it?

The only thing that we came up with while we were looking at is a feather wreath in the center. Feathers in the light areas and maybe something spikey or ferny in the dark areas. The customer wants her to quilt a 1/4 inch off the seams. Does anyone know if there is a 8.5 inch circle template?

BTW Joanne, this is the quilt that Sheri was trying to describe to us last Saturday, when she was looking at the templates at your shop.

I am a newbie and have been lurking for some time now. HI RITA! I guess this is one way to get my feet wet. Thanks for posting the picture Angela. I had a wonderful time today, thank you so much for sharing your time and talents.

Sheri, Yesterday was fun! I'll come your way next time. :)

The picture that Heidi posted with the doodling on it was what I was talking about yesterday. It really is a neat way to play with design ideas with out worrying about getting marks on the actual quilt. Acetate and golden threads paper work well too. She put lots of different ideas on there, that you can try out. If you print out a copy of you picture in black and white you can draw on it in a smaller format so that you can try out different designs. You could also draft it out, but that is more time consuming.

Thanks Heidi!!! You ideas look great, as always!

I have lots of time to think about this one, so all of the great ideas will give me time to play on paper. Heidi, thanks for your doodles it gives me a good starting point. I would love to have the ability to doodle on my computer, maybe someday. I am headed for the mountains for the weekend with a stack of black and white pictures to "create". Thanks for the idea Angela.

Having looked at Heidi's doodles I can see "Swags" in the outer arcs and then fancy feather type thingy in the inner arcs. Of the darker areas and feathers/ferns in the lighter areas.

My first quilt was a King Size drunkard's path and I had somebody stitch it 1/4" outside. I now look at it and am going to put it on my machine and play as it is so plain!

Lyn

Originally posted by CoffeeNQuilts

There was a great picture posted here a few years ago with fethers in a Drunkard's Path setting... Must have been good to stick in my brain... Check out Katydids post on 4/12/06

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=2422&page=1#pid16983

I still love that quilt!

OMG Leslie..... I can't believe you dug up that old post! Yikes!!! My feathers are much better now :P

I do think feathers are the way to go in the quilt Angela posted! Hi Angela.

I love Heidi's idea, especially the echo in the dark an the feathers in the light.

This isomething I came up with using my mouse to draw. I should always look to the end of the thread before I start drawing. I just love straight lines softened by feathers. So I thought about dividing the quilting into big diamonds. The diagonal ruler work will be tedious but it just sets up th frame; the rest of the line work is just horizontal lines in each section. It is bad drawing but here goes.

post--13461901693035_thumb.jpg

There was one posted here several years ago that was just stunning! I think it was red's,white's, green's on a white background? Debbie, did you do that one? I know it was on webshots, try doing a search for drunkard's path on webshots, someone here did the quilting. Bonnie, or Shanna, remember the one I'm thinking of?

Originally posted by Mary BethAnyway....my customer is a Mormon and she was upset because it is a "Drunkards Path" so I told her I could slap a Baptist Fan on it and it would equal it out :P:D

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=15564&page=2

I'd hate to see this one done in an all over BF, but I thought it would be fun to bring up this thread and MB's sense of humor.:P

I love the feather idea Heidi--I'm dreaming of doing feathers these days. and I, too, love the colors in this quilt. sigh...:)

Here is the thread of the batik DP that was done with swirls--back in January, Threadwaggle. Would you maybe use some of those swirls in this one?

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=14653&page=1#pid154428

Archived