Edgerider Wheels or Hartley Micro Drive?

Hi. This is my first post! I've been reading many, many, posts for the last few months, and what a great group you are! I have had my Green Millie for a couple of months now and get so much information from this forum I have hardly needed to watch the DVD's that came with it, and have gotten away with just 'lurking'.

I love gadgets! I only bought the extended base with my Millie and am now thinking I might need something to help me control the beast. My overall swirls are okay (no 'square' circles) and I'm managing SID with the base and rulers, but I lack control in echo quilting, going around applique, and retracing when trying feathers. I know, I know... PPP!, but was wondering if I were to pick between the two, which would give me more control - the Hartley Micro Drive or Edgerider wheels, or something different altogether?

Thanks so much!

Hi Caroline

Welcome to the forum. I can't advise on the edgerider wheels, because I don't have them but I do like the microdrive for close up small quilting. and it lets you get in close for the applique and echo quilting for sure. Nice to hear from you.

MicroDrive handles are fantastic. I purchased them with my Millie and use the all the time. Your hands get close to your work -- as close as using a pencil.

I plan to get the edgerider wheels next month. I hear so many good reviews that I just have to try them for myself.

So...no clear answers here!:P:P

I don't have the edgeriders and have never used them; but I just recently got the micro-drives and I love them. I'm right handed, so put only the right one down when doing ruler work. I'm practicing my small stippling and can only even remotely manage with the micro's...

Let us know what you decide...

Definitely get the edgerider wheels first. I spent the first year playing with my wheels trying to get them right and gave up and bought the better wheels. Now I feel like I am in control, not the machine.:) I have the microdrive handles but don't use them as much as I thought I would.

If I had to make a choice of just one, I would go for the wheels first and then make sure the micro-drive handles went on the wish list. I have both now and really don't use the micro-drive handles much. When I put the ER wheels on, my quilting improved over night. As to echo & applique work - I keep a small ruler next to my quilting and have learned to use it to guide my foot as necessary and also make sure not to go to fast - there are several videos out there about this and I have found it a wonderful technique. It is kind of like SID.

Hi Everybody, and thanks for all the replies - WOW! It looks like it's close, but the Edgeriders seem to be in the lead. I especially like the reply from MastiffMomQlt - when in doubt buy both! That's how I like to think too..

I'm going to put in an order for the Edgerider wheels the next time I put in an order from Kingsmen for batting. The micro drive handles will be on my Christmas wish list! :)

PS. Sorry about the big 'Caroline' I had in my signature earlier (embarrassing). I'm trying to figure out how to get a nice signature and was playing a bit. I thought I saw a post about that earlier and am going to try to hunt it down. Would like to post a picture under my name too, but have to figure out that as well.

Archived