Video of One-Seam Flying Geese

The edges do not have to be loose. You can stitch them down either straight..or fold them back a bit and get curved edges and then stitch. I quilted my Mexican Star quilt where I folded the edges to make them curved.

If you choose to leave the edges loose...I would not recommend a pantograph, but custom quilting and go slower near those areas.

Georgene - I remember our Shana posting that quilt and it looks like she was able to stipple under them a little too.

Kristina - I like the idea of doing the Mexican Star quilt that way! I have that on my list too. LOL it is a very long list! Still quilting my daughters quilt though. Micro stippling takes forever!!!!! I'm doing it without the SR though and that is so much easier.

This is sooooo cool!!:P:P

And I was just on the verge of cutting the pieces for 98 Flying Geese - guess I better re-think those cutting directions - or would the pieces be the same size and shape? Hmmmmm..... must go work with the graph paper........

Barb, the pieces are cut differently. It takes more fabric to do the one seam geese. You cut rectangles of the geese part and the background. The background is taller and wider. I always make mine with a much larger background than necessary and trim them to size. Wastes some fabric...but usually turn out better.

Kristina,

I worked it all out on graph paper and it looks like the pieces are the same size as traditional geese: the video uses 3" squares and a 3" x 5 1/2" rectangle, the unfinished "goose" is 3" x 5 1/2", the finished unit would be 2 1/2" x 5" - if I 'member correctly, those are the pieces you would cut for a "stitch and flip" goose.

Thanks Georgene, that was way cool to see! I'm goign to try it. If anyone is concerned about fabric waste or is trying to get more from a piece than usual try the Flying Geese x 4 No Math Ruler, there is no waste!! There is a companion booklet called Flying Geese and More which demponstates how to use it. I always had trouble making geese look the same but this tool and book took all the pain out of making geeseand I could have them the same every time.

Archived