INTRO FROM A LURKER

I thought I should introduce myself as I have been reading here quite a bit and loving all the help.

I purchased a use HQ16 in March after a couple of years of searching for a reasonably priced machine. I was so happy to find this great machine. No SR or computer anything.

I mainly quilt for Quilts Of Valor--just mine--- and our local Hospice. I have done several for myself and gift quilts. I am getting better and just quilt free from the front of the machine.

I tried pantos and that was a disaster. I think the space behind the machine is too small. Also I am not totally level which makes another problem. DH is working on getting this better.

So for now--I love just drawing with thread on the front of the machine.

I am a part time nanny to the sweetest little boy from 9-1.

Eileen in S. Maryland

Welcome Eileen!

So glad you introduced yourself, now we will need a lot of pics! I have never been to the northeastern states and would like to sometime. Ask all the questions you like-Ihave never been disappointed in the response-everyone here is so helpful!

Hi Eileen! Sounds like you put that machine to very, very good use. Tell us more about your Quilts of Valour and your local hospice. I have read a little about QOV. Are there many in your area who participate? I'd love to be involved in charity quilts and so admire those that are. What type of quilts do you do mostly for the charities?

I'm sure you've already found that this is a wonderful forum, lots of great people and info. Pull your chair a little closer, grab a cuppa, and enjoy!

Welcome Eileen

Glad you have introduced yourself, and told us about what you like to do. Pictures would be great too, when you figure this posting stuff out. We love to see what everyone is doing. I have been LA'ing and posting almost a year and can honestly say I owe this forum so much for all the progress I have made over the past year.

Thanks for the great welcome.

LINDA Craig---Quilts Of Valor is for the wounded military. They have a great website. I am going to take a little side trip from that and make some for the families whose relative has died. I am friends with a Major's wife and she is getting me info of the families. Here is the story of one of them. Heartbreaking.

http://brandonnews2.tbo.com/content/2009/jul/17/family-fallen-soldier-gathers-prepares-lay-him-res/news/

I have one for his wife---one for the unborn baby and one for the children of his ex wife.

I do have a blog and will see if I can get it to show up here

http://luvstoquilt.blogspot.com/

There is Home Of The Brave but they are way behind and you must use their pattern and civil war colors. I like something a little brighter and have a couple of patterns that are fast but have the wow factor.

I used to do all these quilts on my Janome. I am going to see if I can get a signature for myself on here.

Eileen, thank you so much for the links. I took the opportunity to read through them both and to admire your beautiful quilts. They are amazing stories, heartbreaking, inspiring............awesome. That was a very heartfelt letter you received in thanks for your quilt. Very, very touching. I hope more people read and join your crusade.

I'm going to see what's available for our soldiers here in Canada who are in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Thank you so much for sharing, in sooooo many ways...........

Hello Lurker!!! (from a sunny Scotland)

I too lurked for ages before I plucked up the courage to remove my invisibility cloak.

The people on this forum are brilliant.

When you are down they offer kind words to pick you up.

When you have a personal problem they are there with either words of wisdom or a friendly shoulder to lean on.

And anything quilting, well what a fantastic knowledge base.

Have fun and enjoy this brilliant forum.

Tracy G

Hi Eileen, welcome to quilting madness.. the good kinds.

God Bless you for your work in Quilts of Valor and Community Service as well as our fallen men and womens families.

I too make Quilts of Valor and Comm Service work. The Comm. Service is thru our guild, and I started the QoVF side of it in the guild. I keep very few of the quilts I've made, I think only two so far, and have been working on one for our Sub-Mom, which Himself pieced, and has decided on most of the patterns to quilt into the quilt. He's helped with a couple of them.

Again, God Bless your heart for the generous giving, and hope you enjoy it here.

RitaR

Archived