Helpful Hint

I had this quilt top done and laid over my rollers so it would not get wrinkled waiting to be quilted. I did a dumb thing and ran over the edge of it with the machine. Grease from the wheels got on the outside borders including the white area. I was sick! I placed the quilt on a folded towel and used cold water and Dawn dishwasing soap to dab at the grease. To my utter surprise and joy, the grease came right out. It ended up on the towel but who cares! Note: the dark stuff in the white is actually little black stars - not grease. You have all been so helpful to me, I wanted to pass on this tip.

The quilt is for a college freshman and is a sudoku. Each of the six puzzles is separated by the dark blue sashing. I had a lot of fun figuring out the size of the individual squares to make it fit her dorm bed. Luckily she chose brights so I was able to use quite a bit of my stash. I hope she can get to sleep with all that color!!

232323232%7Ffp536%3A2%3Enu%3D3358%3E737%3E5%3A2%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C%3B466947336nu0mrj

Very nice quilt and great tip. I ran over a piece of fabric I had sitting on the back and got a nice stain on it. I have to learn not to put stuff there.

Was the quilt you made for an extra long twin bed? If so, whats the size of your quilt? I am agonizing over the size of the one I'm making for my daughter who we just took to college on Wednesday. I have already started cutting out my fabric even before I know the size. For me, making a quilt is theraputic. It makes me feel better. Kind of like eating cookies.

Jessica

The quilt size is roughly 64x97. The dorm mattress is 39x80 which I think is called a long twin or a California twin. It has a 12 inch drop on each side and an extra length of 17 inches. I'm not sure how much of that she is using to cover the pillow vs dropping off the bottom. She headed to college Tuesday and her mom tells me the quilt fit perfectly. Her younger sister was hoping it would not work - she wants it! I guess that means I will be making another one in a few years.

I am a SUDOKU fan from way-back..(even have several books in my bathroom 'library')...and love that Suduko design! It somehow seems peaceful/put together...like it all makes sense...I've also had good luck removing

grease/food stains with shampoo...sometimes hands reach out to touch that aren't the cleanest. ML

• 1 month later...

Archived